Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If Walkers' Point is your idea of a "very mixed" area, then you need to get to Chicago way more than you claim you do. I am up there quite a bit for work. Stop by Rockwell once a month. My question to you is, why don't you just move to Portage Park instead of pretending you are from Milwaukee for whatever reason.
Look I walk my dog here everyday and if you only go in and out of AB or Rockwell then you're not really getting a good look at the neighborhood. This used to be just a Hispanic area now it's has few blacks, but Hispanics as well as the college know it all hippie to the yuppie's in their Benz. I live in Milwaukee and why would someone fake living in Milw it's not like New York or Chicago. If I were to make up a city I'm from, then wouldn't I chose something with a little more jazz?

PS: As soon as I convince the wifey we are either going to somewhere warm or Chicago which is the compromise between Miami and San Diego.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
gooning -----causes people to shy away-- punching and kicking and calling people names makes them less friendly.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisklaw View Post
Nation comes from the Latin root word meaning "race" or "to be born". America was once a nation when it was 90% White, today it's a squabbling mess with no end in sight but more racial squabbling. Look at what Obama and Sotomayor have given us, a glimpse of more race-based everything.
What are you talking about? Around the time the USA became a nation and for decades after black slaves made up almost 30% of the population.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:45 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Ouch...

hard to read some of the statements ... I suggest you guys take some human biology/anthropology classes and from a different perspective read works such as Frantz Fanon (Black Skin, White Masks)

Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What are you talking about? Around the time the USA became a nation and for decades after black slaves made up almost 30% of the population.
I suppose we could quibble/compromise and settle on "3/5ths of almost 30%" due to that demented loophole in the Constitution that allowed slaveholders to have it both ways - dehumanize your slaves and get political representation based on them.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Segreagated how? By ethnicity? that is the way that it has always been. Check your history and Chicago is just as great as the other cities mentioned..

Exactly!! That's why i love Chicago.. I don't want it turning into a Phoenix, or a Las Vegas.. Who doesn't like going to Chinatown, Greektown, little village or pilsen for mexican, etc, etc?? However, you really have to love Chicago to live here. It takes a lot to deal with the weather and all the b.s taxes the Kingdom of Chicago imposes.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM

53 posts, read 141,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I suppose we could quibble/compromise and settle on 3/5ths of almost 30% due to that demented loophole in the Constitution that allowed slaveholders to have it both ways - dehumanize your slaves and get political representation based on them.
Oh, now there's a new one, the Founding Fathers were demented. Yeah right.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
Exactly!! That's why i love Chicago.. I don't want it turning into a Phoenix, or a Las Vegas.. Who doesn't like going to Chinatown, Greektown, little village or pilsen for mexican, etc, etc?? However, you really have to love Chicago to live here. It takes a lot to deal with the weather and all the b.s taxes the Kingdom of Chicago imposes.

You can say segregation by ethnicity have some benefits. Chinatown wouldn't be the same if the majority of the residents were not majority Chinese. Greektown isn't exactly Greek majority, but at least there are some delicious Greek cuisines.

Its just Chicago segregation is little extreme to be the third largest city and the premier city of the Midwest.
I almost forgot I made this thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think the question is what exactly makes Chicago the worst? Being resentful/distrustful/persecuting people different from you is a pretty ingrained flaw of human beings, period.

Look at how they still treat being left-handed (something I can't imagine Americans have any philosophical problem with) in Islam and good parts of Africa, for example - use a fork with the wrong hand, and you get beaten.

And America is supposedly this mean and cruel place right?? We should be ashamed and resentful..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandata View Post
Oh, now there's a new one, the Founding Fathers were demented. Yeah right.
Well, I'm not sure if demented is the right terminology, but I'd strongly argue that the institution of slavery was the catastrophic, founding flaw of the United States. As William Faulkner called it, its our Original Sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago