Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM

30 posts, read 84,387 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville from downtown Chicago since I heard it's great for young singles and am wondering how diverse it is?
I keep hearing about "trixies and chads" and that the majority of the social scene is college/post college frat/sorority lily white (obviously a stereotype but how true?)--I'm just afraid that everyone who says it's great for young singles just means MOSTLY ONLY for that type of people. I'm an asian and more into an artsy/cultural lifestyle but also like nightlife so I don't know if that area would be a good fit.

Is there anywhere in Chicago that is as diverse and mixed as San Francisco/LA/NY (not so much in statistics/numbers but in attitudes)?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
artsy and wrigleyville or lincoln park do not really go hand in hand, I suspect you'd be happier in bucktown/wicker park or logan square.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:20 PM

30 posts, read 84,387 times
Thanks for the response!
though I am artsy, it's not a major factor and I am wondering more about the race/diversity factor?

I do enjoy lots of things lincoln park/wrigleyville has to offer also--in college we did love going to the bars in the area and just shopping/beach/barbeQ's/etc.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
In Wrigleyville there is no real segregation, if you can afford a beer you are welcome.

Inthis regard it is not unlike Manhattan as income is the only barrier to 'acceptance' ...

Racially there is little if any notice of Asians/ east Indians, as most college aged people are very comfortable with such a mix.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Overall Chicago is a very segregated city in terms of housing, but I don't think anyone will treat minorities differently like if you're out at a bar or a club or whatever. As for housing it really depends on what you can afford and where you feel comfortable. Lincoln Park is pretty expensive by Chicago standards but it really is lovely and close to the Loop and there is a lot going on, but the people who live there are definitely almost all white. The further north you go the more affordable and middle class it gets. Maybe check out Andersonville, it's a neat little area.

I really don't know where an Asian would feel more comfortable, Chicago doesn't really have a high Asian population and they are spread all over the city. I think if you like an area and feel comfortable and safe there then I would go for it, I don't think anywhere on the North Side or places like Wicker Park would feel more comfortable than other areas for an Asian. I think it would be more important on being close to stuff you like to do. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are really ideally located in the North Side and there is always a lot going on.

And San Francisco (where I live now) is pretty segregated too, Hispanics and blacks mainly only live in a few small parts of the city. The difference is that there are a lot more Asians per capita. I don't really think people in San Francisco have very different attitudes about race compared to Chicago, although I am white so I'm sure there's a lot that I miss.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
According to Wikipedia (great way to start a sentence huh) Lincoln Park is 85% white. I live in LP and that seems a tad high to me but who knows. I don't know where there data is from either.

I'd imagine Wrigley is pretty much the same.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM

102 posts, read 332,806 times
Even though it's majority white in those neighborhoods, I don't feel like minorities are treated badly. Granted, I'm a white male, so this opinion is only formed by what I've observed, but I've never noticed any ethnic minority being treated differently in the areas you mentioned. Also, I walk around both of those neighborhoods quite regularly, and I see many different ethnicities and hear different languages all the time.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
all true, but to clarify - you want ethnic diversity, you need to head west from these neighborhoods.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I'd say that African Americans do stick out a bit in the Lincoln Park night life. It's segregated in that respect. You might see some well-off African Americans, but not in significant amounts considering how black this city is. But every other shade of brown will be represented in decent numbers. I've worked with a lot of Hispanic professionals in the past, and they always seemed pretty comfortable in the "typical" North Side night life. And in terms of Asians, Sub-Continental Asians, Arabs, Persians, whatever... No one will even notice.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
No one is going to bat an eye at you being an Asian in Lincoln Park or Lakeview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: