Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is it safe to say this thread has run its course?
Well, if this one is closed, then someone will open another just like it. Just let it go on

Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 PM

68 posts, read 215,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
EXCUSE ME?

How do you know what race I am? I am appalled you would speak to a woman that way also. Who cares if you are white?
Excuse yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Mokena is not welcoming to colored people. I would not feel welcome there. So, I choose to stay here around honest working and middle class people. Yes, my neighbors are white.
So, Whites in Mokena aren't honest? they aren't working and middle class too? Your comments about Whites are completely biased and to be taken with a grain of salt henceforth. Kindly stop lecturing 2 White people talking about our people, OK, do you think you could kindly do that?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisklaw View Post
Excuse yourself.
I will not. I am honest, but I would never say something like "get out of a white people conversation."

You still don't know my "race." Whatever you may call that.

Last edited by deechee; 09-15-2009 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Brisklaw: I don't in any way dismiss the contributions people of European stock have made to the world. Of course, to know that means you also have to accept the negatives as well.

And I certainly have many friends who are German, Italian, Polish, you name it - and not only is nothing wrong with that, I love the unique contributions (the positive ones) these cultures gave/give us.

However, there is something particularly offensive about the concept behind "whiteness."

It's basically a way for one group of people to make themselves feel better by belittling another group. You think the effects of Jim Crow and slavery should have just evaporated overnight? Can you imagine the impact of 10 or 15 or more generations of your ancestors being unable to pass down any property or wealth to their descendants?

I don't need to be white - I don't need to make myself feel superior to anyone based on the color of my skin, I'm comfortable with my achievements and skills and enjoy greatly interacting with people who have superficial differences of skin tone. That's probably as I treat them all as equals, try it some time, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised at the results.

btw, educate yourself a bit on those white "contributions" to the world. I won't even go into the World Bank's role in keeping colonial peoples impoverished (not to mention serfdom/the feudal system, good grief!).

Hot money and the politics of debt. - book reviews | Washington Monthly | Find Articles at BNET

Hot Money and the Politics of Debt.
The most perplexing--and frightening--aspect of the foreign debt crisis is neither the size of the Third World's IOUs nor the banks' mystifying rationale for having shipped all that money out in the first place. Nor is it even the bizarre geopolitics of the Western governments that allowed them to do it. It is rather the little-understood --and, until recently, poorly documented --phenomenon of "flight capital,' the idiom for the electronic sleight-of-hand by which some $200 billion of the $450 billion borrowed from 1975 to 1985 by the 18 largest debtor countries landed in foreign accounts of Third World nationals, unchecked, unregulated, and irretrievable. The more we learn about flight capital, the more it is apparent that what bankrupted most of these countries was their own citizenry absconding with foreign exchange reserves, often abetted by the same creditor banks that later screamed when forced to reschedule debt. For all these reasons, R.T. Naylor could not have chosen a more apt subject for his new book.*

Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Kindly stop lecturing 2 White people talking about our people, OK, do you think you could kindly do that?
So, I'm married to a white person, ummm, and most of my friends, neighbors and colleagues at work are white. Do I have the right to participate in this conversation? Or do I have to pass some kind of test first? I haven't learned the secret white handshake yet, but I was told that my honorary membership card was in the mail.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I haven't learned the secret white handshake yet.
Here's a hint, it's the opposite of this, and is pretty much just a boring old handshake:

YouTube - Airplane Jive Scene

Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
White flight and discrimination towards African Americans in Chicago started over 100 years ago. Early in the last century (around 1909?) there was a race riot in response to lynchings on the south side. So this is not something new that started in the 1960's. I also think that perhaps, many whites feel their property value will be in jepordy if they move into or their neighborhood becomes too diverse.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM

here's another good read:

Confessions of an economic hit man - Google Books

Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 PM

68 posts, read 215,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
btw, educate yourself a bit on those white contributions to the world. I won't even go into the World Bank's role in keeping colonial peoples impoverished (not to mention serfdom/the feudal system, good grief!).
Why do you read Marxist/Liberal hate material? They hate you for the color of your skin, and it doesn't matter to them that Ireland was never a colonial power. it doesn't matter to them that ALL mixed-European Americans never owned slaves, etc. here's some reading material for you, to counter all the anti-White brainwashing that you've internallzed:

The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success (Hardcover) Amazon.com: The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success (9781400062287): Rodney Stark: Books

At first glance, this book appears to be a retort to geographic theories of societal evolution, of the sort advanced by Jared Diamond's popular Guns, Germs, and Steel (Marxist, anti-White).

Rather than patterns of weather and agriculture, Stark argues, Europe's primacy in economic, political, and social progress was due to its embrace of Christianity, which opened a space for reason and hence science-driven technology. Emphasizing the connection between medieval scholasticism, with its notion of theological progress--the logical science of thinking one's way closer to God--and Renaissance capitalism, Stark maintains that Christianity alone embraced reason and logic, and this gave Christian regions a tactical advantage in developing commerce.

PS People all over the world still want to move to White, capitalist countries founded in the tradition of Western Christendom despite all the so-called evil, explain that?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
PS People all over the world still want to move to White, capitalist countries founded in the tradition of Western Christendom despite all the so-called evil, explain that?
You answered your own question - this is where all the capital and resources went. You think the Irish came here because they were lonely & wanted more WASP neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago