Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
With the exception of Cabrini Green & maybe Rogers Park, blacks were not welcome kindly on the Northside.
Don't forget Uptown, Edgewater, the Lathrop Homes, Marshall Field Homes, and scores of other small subsidized housing blocks all over the North Side.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
There used to be a decent number of blacks (way more than today) in Roscoe Village,Lake View,and Lincoln Park,etc... as well. Renters and homeowners.

For example when I lived in Roscoe Village years ago there were several black people that lived in the neighborhood. Most were south of Roscoe Ave however.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There used to be a decent number of blacks (way more than today) in Roscoe Village,Lake View,and Lincoln Park,etc... as well. Renters and homeowners.

For example when I lived in Roscoe Village years ago there were several black people that lived in the neighborhood. Most were south of Roscoe Ave however.
COUGHCOUGHsegregationCOUGHCOUGH.

The fact that they lived separately means they are segregated from the white area.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
COUGHCOUGHsegregationCOUGHCOUGH.

The fact that they lived separately means they are segregated from the white area.
What??????????????????????????????????????????????

I am "white" and there were several black people that lived on my block and the block across from mine.

In fact a black family lived directly across the street from me.

I mean WTF? a black dude lives in the apartment next to me where I live now. There are a few black girls in the building as well. My building is about 15-20% black and I live in Lake View.

Quit this nonsense already.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
What??????????????????????????????????????????????

I am "white" and there were several black people that lived on my block and the block across from mine.

In fact a black family lived directly across the street from me.

I mean WTF? a black dude lives in the apartment next to me where I live now. There are a few black girls in the building as well. My building is about 15-20% black and I live in Lake View.

Quit this nonsense already.
Oh wow, Lakeview....it's unlikely I'd live there.

It's really sad that people are counting how many blacks, hispanics, asians, or (insert favorite minority) live around them. I should start counting the whites in my area, and then make entire threads about how safe I should feel, or how my property values will change...

Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Oh wow, Lakeview....it's unlikely I'd live there...
Good for you.

It is unlikely why? Because you want to live around more blacks than Lakeview contains?

You are a walking contradiction.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
...It's really sad that people are counting how many blacks, hispanics, asians, or (insert favorite minority) live around them. I should start counting the whites in my area, and then make entire threads about how safe I should feel, or how my property values will change...
You are hopeless and I am done with this race baiting thread.

*I changed my mind about the second part of the above sentence at least*

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-20-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM

63 posts, read 161,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicago certainly has segregation issues, but they are not that different from the issues experienced in other large, older cities. Places like Gary, Detroit, Milwaukee, and even New York City are more segregated than Chicago according to the U.S. Census Bureau segregation index calculations.
Those segregation index calculations contain a formula developed and not updated since the 1940s-50s. A more accurate way to judge a modern city is by its integration index. Chicago is fairly well integrated in some neighborhoods. Others not so much. I believe the original question by the poster was if there is still a high level of racism or closet racism left over from the "old school." Chicagoans are very proud of their ethnic neighborhoods as well they should be. However those segregations will still act outwardly racist towards each other or more often behind each others backs. Yes, Chicago is a city with deep seated racist roots. Much of it is still black vs white or white vs Mexican often directed from rednecks in the near suburbs towards the inner city minorities and vice versa. The mayor has tried in vain to change that, but the "basement conversations" about certain undesirables still very much exist in Chicago. It's sad, but true.

Last edited by mmcgirk3; 08-20-2009 at 10:28 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Good for you.

It is unlikely why? Because you want to live around more blacks than Lakeview contains?

You are a walking contradiction.
I never said that. I have said many times before I like to live in SUBURBAN areas. And I'm not black!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I never said that. I have said many times before I like to live in SUBURBAN areas. And I'm not black!
Why is it unlikely you would want to live in Lake View then?

...and if you do prefer to live in suburban areas why are you even commenting on urban affairs if you more than likely do not have much experience in them???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago