Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
I would say Lincoln Park is segregated by class more than race. Non professionals are priced out to a substantial degree. Regardless of race, DePaul students are an enclave of college students concentrated in a certain area, I presume.
I've lived in Lincoln Park as a professional in the past, but as a young childless renting professional. And up till this current real esate bust, Lincoln Park was rapidly getting out of reach for most professionals. Sure, it's easy to rent an apartment there as a young professional without a lot of financial responsibilities. But the required income level to raise a family there as a homeowner is now VERY high. For instance, a three-bedroom family-sized condo in the LP is now generally close to $600,000 or above. Detached homes are almost always over $1M and often get up to $3M or $4M. Francis Parker and the Latin School each cost more than $25,000/year for Kindergarten.

I guess it's strange to me that a lowly DePaul student can rent an appartment in a neighborhood surrounded by mover and shakers in such a high income bracket. That's diversity in Lincoln Park!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Most people have long forgotten the Chicago that was the POWERHOUSE of the nation in many sectors -- from candy making to sausages to radios and TVs, bicycles to bombers Chicago MADE STUFF that other Americans used.
Well stated. There still are companies manufacturing in Chicago. S&C Electric on Devon & Ridge is an unknown "biggie".

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Hmmm...I'll have to ask my hhold Chicago history nerd. Some neighborhoods were always upper class...maybe LP was one of them.

Edit: according to wikipedia it was a German and Polish neighborhood originally.
Much of Lincoln Park was hispanic and lower income whites for a few decades and not very wealthy.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Diversity tends to be mythical even in SF or NYC...much self-segregation still occurs, no matter one's net worth or education

In SF, many affluent Jews (even <50yo) feel unwelcome in City's PacificHts/PresidioHts (essentially City's GoldCoast) and prefer to reside in suburban Atherton, 35mis S of SF at the base of SiliconValley

In NYC region, many very affluent, <50yo Jewish or Asian hedge fund executives prefer to reside in Manhattan or suburban Scarsdale, as many still view Greenwich as anti-Jewish and anti-Asian....ironically, ~40% of NYC's hedge funds are based in Greenwich b/c of CT's materially lower state income tax rates vs NYC (5% vs ~9%)

Similarly, Chic's NorthShore suburbs tend to self-segregate among Jews vs WASPs, even today; arguably, OakBrook is an affluent Asian ghetto....Chic region is no less/more segregated than its supposedly cosmopolitan peers on Coasts

Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Much of Lincoln Park was hispanic and lower income whites for a few decades and not very wealthy.
I remember Lincoln park as being an extension of the Gold Coast...and, very well-to-do....

Like Logan Square, back in the day, was predominantly Polish & some Germans...

yes, I am dating myself....

Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I have never seen anyone other hsw use "Chic" as a short form of CHICAGO, so I'd take that into consideration when evaluating the rest of their post...

From https://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Brook-Illinois.html

[LEFT]Races in Oak Brook:[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
  • White Non-Hispanic (74.5%)
  • Asian Indian (10.5%)
  • Chinese (4.1%)
  • Hispanic (2.4%)
  • Filipino (2.1%)
  • Other Asian (1.8%)
  • Two or more races (1.7%)
  • Black (1.4%)
  • Korean (1.1%)
[/LEFT]

Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Why is Chicago still segregated? One reason: geography. I'm talking about about large, swath like pieces of real estate.

Chicago's segregation was different. There was nothing patch like about it. Blacks were not only segregated into neighborhoods, but even the various sides of the city became associated with race.

The South Side's black belt exploded in size and a smaller version existed (and still does to a degree) on the West.

The Red Line in its Howard el days started north at the Evanston border as a basically white train and continued that way all through the North Side. The change over started at Washington....whites off and blacks on and by Roosevelt, it was a black train running down to Englewood and Jackson Park.

WIth territory that big, change comes much more slowly.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Geographically Chicago is constrained only by Lake Michigan. The river is irrelevant with more bridges than any other similar sited city, and despite the "scar" of the Kennedy and Dan Ryan there is little evidence that races are penned in by such borders -- even back in the era of the Richard I, the argument that the projects were somehow "across the Dan Ryan" from Bridgeport is silly -- DeLasalle is where he sent little Richie, Bill, and John...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
It's always been this way. It's a city of neighborhoods much more than other places tend to be. People in Chicago that I've noticed tend to segregate among themselves more for personal comfort and tradition than outright hatred of the other races. People tend to look at segregation in the sense of 1950's America black vs. white.

There's racism in Chicago today, but I think when people talk of the segregation here, it brings up more negative images than what is actually reality. Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Middle eastern....there are lots of segregated areas, but I don't think these people are forced to live there, or that it's inherantly sub-par compared to other areas.

The black ghettos on the west and south sides are quite segregated and run-down, but if someone had money and really wanted to escape, I don't see the huge physical and business barriers in place as in the past.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
I have also always been told by friends about the nouveau riche Asian (Indian, Chinese, etc.) enclaves of Oak Brook -- The Midwest Club and Trinity Lakes are two that were mentioned to me, supposedly like 40-50% Asian. I have no first hand knowledge of either, but obviously global statistics can average over and mask large inhomogeneities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have never seen anyone other hsw use "Chic" as a short form of CHICAGO, so I'd take that into consideration when evaluating the rest of their post...

From https://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Brook-Illinois.html

[LEFT]Races in Oak Brook:[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
  • White Non-Hispanic (74.5%)
  • Asian Indian (10.5%)
  • Chinese (4.1%)
  • Hispanic (2.4%)
  • Filipino (2.1%)
  • Other Asian (1.8%)
  • Two or more races (1.7%)
  • Black (1.4%)
  • Korean (1.1%)
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago