Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
They should put that on the license plates.
You know, it certainly seems more appropriate at times than calling it "The Garden State!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 30,259 times
Default About time

I've been looking for a good Monte Cristo ever since i left Queens. I can't find one in Charlotte unless i make it myself. Can't friggin wait.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,746 times
Cool he-he!

After eating a Monte Cristo from Bennigans, I am Flushing4ever!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 AM

264 posts, read 918,446 times
Jersey diners are as unique as Eastern NC barbecue places, Houston Tex-Mex places, any sort of completely unique regional specialty.

There are lots of Greek-owned restaurants or "diners" in Charlotte. Carolina Cafe in the Arboretum is one, then there is Greg's Barbeque, Gus Sir Beef, you could name a dozen at least. And most of them are really good.

I seriously doubt a "real" NJ Diner -- and I say New Jersey Diner because the "NY" ones are not the same! -- will be "authentic" if it's in Charlotte. Much the same way the bakeries are not the same (Jersey Girl?) and the pizza's not the same, even if they're owned by "real" New Yorkers or Jersey folks. There's an intangible element that just doesn't translate. You might find some similar dishes or menu items but how can you recreate an "authentic" experience? I don't think it can be done. Just like Charlotte's Mexican restaurants will never be the same as my favorite places back in my native Texas, a Charlotte "NY/NJ Diner" will never be the same as the Tick Tock in Clifton! And that's really ok, though; after all, I like looking forward to going "home" and experiencing the things I miss.

Good luck to you all, though!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
That's ok. Diner = overpriced food with small potions, especially in Charlotte.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
I agree with the previous poster about not wanting Charlotte to become "little NY/NJ". I am from New Jersey, but part of the reason why I left was because the people there are rude and arrogant. The people in Charlotte are a lot nicer and I do love the southern charm. I want Charlotte to keep its roots and ideals and not become loaded with New Jerseyans and New Yorkers who want to change it into what they left up north.

That being said, this diner will probably be disappointing like most of the pizza joints here that are owned by ex-New Yorkers. I'm sorry, but I believe its the water. Go make a bagel here and eat one from a bagel joint in New Jersey (try Bagel World in Manalapan) and I guarantee you the Jersey bagel is 100 times better. Same with the pizza here. The crusts up in NJ and NY are better because of the water that is used to make it. Anyway, hey, I hope the diner is good and of course I will try it, but call me jaded.

Rita's ice just opened up in Mooresville and I had it on Saturday. Disappointing. Why? The water. Actually, it wasn't bad, but just not as good.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:34 PM

36 posts, read 125,275 times
Every person who relocates here is always a little home sick for the things they miss most,food being the more memorable of all. We can never have moms home cooking for ever, but we can certainly go to a Diner and have the foods that we all grew up with and just maybe bring back some great fond memories. I am sure that most of you who grew up in NJ/ NY remember going to eat breakfast or a Burger with Disco fries at 2,3 4:00 am after clubbing with our friends. Nothing lasts forever for sure, But I sure am looking forward to being at the Diner when it opens and give MY SUPPORT to anyone who at least tries to bring home a little closer to me. As for theroc5156 post about New Jerseyans being rude, I cannot disagree more with that comment. Maybe he/she has had some bad experiences with people in NJ and feels that way but where ever you go in this world you will find good and bad people. Be proud you are from a great state that unfortunatley some corrupt politicians has made it difficult for most of us to live there. NC is very lucky that we are bring our culinary talents and giving this beautiful city some diversity.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:36 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I agree with the previous poster about not wanting Charlotte to become "little NY/NJ". I am from New Jersey, but part of the reason why I left was because the people there are rude and arrogant. The people in Charlotte are a lot nicer and I do love the southern charm. I want Charlotte to keep its roots and ideals and not become loaded with New Jerseyans and New Yorkers who want to change it into what they left up north.

That being said, this diner will probably be disappointing like most of the pizza joints here that are owned by ex-New Yorkers. I'm sorry, but I believe its the water. Go make a bagel here and eat one from a bagel joint in New Jersey (try Bagel World in Manalapan) and I guarantee you the Jersey bagel is 100 times better. Same with the pizza here. The crusts up in NJ and NY are better because of the water that is used to make it. Anyway, hey, I hope the diner is good and of course I will try it, but call me jaded.

Rita's ice just opened up in Mooresville and I had it on Saturday. Disappointing. Why? The water. Actually, it wasn't bad, but just not as good.
I hate to inform you, but geography aside, Charlotte is not very "southern" at all.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:59 AM

235 posts, read 730,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post

You are so right about the water. You can't find the good pizaa or bakery products because of the water. So far all the bagels taste like the frozen ones even toasted with jelly they are still bland We will try to this place when it opens but I bet that it will still be bland and tasteless.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 30,259 times
Default Quick to be let down

Everyone seems so skeptical about this place before it even opens. Honestly, by diner i hope it just means the menu, because 25% of the diners up North have good food, the rest is just average. A lot of people move to the South with a HUGE CHIP on their shoulders. They think no food is as good as NJ/NY. But sometimes, what they remember is not as good as they really think, it's just the memories of the environment they're going on, and it keeps them from giving credit where it's due. Eggs are eggs, they taste the same whether they're in Ballentyne or in Brooklyn. People with the "chip" will be quick to call this place a fake, even if it's the best food around. I hope/think this place will be a hit, i'll be there to support.

As far as the water issue goes for pizza and bagels, read Peter Rheinhardt's book, he is a master baker for Johnson and Wales's who went on a search to find the best pizza in America, he says the water in NY has nothing to do with pizza dough's flavor and texture, it's the method and formula. That just goes back to the "chip on the shoulder" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte