Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

It was a semi-joke. I have no idea how big the office will be but I'm guessing Fort Mill will be a popular choice for people that relocate to work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It was a semi-joke. I have no idea how big the office will be but I'm guessing Fort Mill will be a popular choice for people that relocate to work there.
Putting a division headquarters off Tyvola could open possibility that Publix is probably using this headquarters to play chess with Harry Kroger as Publix expands in this state.
Your mention of Fort Mill would be a great location for a distribution center.
You might have made a prediction.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Not sure what you mean by the first sentence? When they announced the Charlotte Division (before the Kroger acquisition of HT) that pretty much implied an office and distribution center in the area.

I was just jokingly pointing out that this is now the 2nd big company that has announced new offices near the SC line (the first being Metlife which of course is even closer to SC), and thus NC will miss out on some tax revenue from employees choosing to live in SC. But of course any new jobs in the area are welcome.

I'm guessing Publix is also betting on CLT remaining a hub.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the first sentence? When they announced the Charlotte Division (before the Kroger acquisition of HT) that pretty much implied an office and distribution center in the area.

I was just jokingly pointing out that this is now the 2nd big company that has announced new offices near the SC line (the first being Metlife which of course is even closer to SC), and thus NC will miss out on some tax revenue from employees choosing to live in SC. But of course any new jobs in the area are welcome.

I was referring to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Publix Super Markets announced Monday that the company has leased office space for its Charlotte division headquarters. The company will lease 15,603 square feet of office space at Two Lakepointe Plaza, off West Tyvola Road near Renaissance Park.

Publix leases office space for Charlotte division | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM

So was the entire post I just posted. I was just confused by your comment about "Harry Kroger." We already pretty much knew a Publix office was coming before the Kroger acquisition of HT, we just didn't know where it would be.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM

173 posts, read 296,654 times
Quote:

I'm wondering if the new Charlotte division will include SC stores, or if the SC stores stay in the current division they're in. I don't think Publix's office location will pull too many from Fort Mill. They're in the same office park as Belk and a lot of other major companies who do not have a lot of employees from across the line. It's also interesting that out of the 6 states Publix now operates in, only NC, FL, and GA have offices and I'm expecting an IT center to come to Charlotte as well.

Same for Ballantyne. While I'm sure people living in Fort Mill will be employed, nothing significant.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:

Other than real estate taxes, won't NC still get income taxes from those employees? And I'm sure they will still get some sales taxes to as they shop in both states.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
I'm wondering if the new Charlotte division will include SC stores, or if the SC stores stay in the current division they're in.
Well just judging by distances, the stores in Columbia and Charleston should probably be part of the Charlotte division. Greenville/Spartanburg could go either way.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Well just judging by distances, the stores in Columbia and Charleston should probably be part of the Charlotte division. Greenville/Spartanburg could go either way.
I've heard that Greenville/Spartanburg will be shifted to Charlotte.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Right now Greenville-Spartanburg is served by Atlanta division. Not sure about Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte