Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 AM

186 posts, read 287,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Once Publix gets established in Charlotte, then Bi-Lo is a done deal. Their days are numbered. Remaining stores will be closed or sold. And Food Lion will struggle to hang on. Harris Teeter, Walmart, and Publix will dominate. And hopefully HT will remain basically the same under Kroger as supposedly promised.
I think there will still be a market for Food Lion. Teeter, on the other hand, will be hit hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Once Publix gets established in Charlotte, then Bi-Lo is a done deal. Their days are numbered. Remaining stores will be closed or sold. And Food Lion will struggle to hang on. Harris Teeter, Walmart, and Publix will dominate. And hopefully HT will remain basically the same under Kroger as supposedly promised.
Are there any Bi-Lo left in Charlotte? I thought they all were sold out?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energee View Post
I think there will still be a market for Food Lion. Teeter, on the other hand, will be hit hard.
I agree. Harris Teeter is already a bit different since the Krogers deal. I used to get great service over at the one in Arboretum but they have gone downhill in previous months. I don't know if they are the firest to be affected by the Krogers or what, but they stink.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Agree with this. Publix will probably take more customers from Teeter than Food Lion, although I think the three of them can survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Publix only bought 7 of them, which were most of their more upscale locations. Depending on where you draw the lines, they've still got about 25 stores in the Charlotte metro area. Since "Bi-Lo Holdings" has been buying up other chains recently, they might try their best to hang onto the remaining Charlotte stores, but who knows.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree. Harris Teeter is already a bit different since the Krogers deal. I used to get great service over at the one in Arboretum but they have gone downhill in previous months. I don't know if they are the firest to be affected by the Krogers or what, but they stink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Agree with this. Publix will probably take more customers from Teeter than Food Lion, although I think the three of them can survive.

Publix only bought 7 of them, which were most of their more upscale locations. Depending on where you draw the lines, they've still got about 25 stores in the Charlotte metro area. Since "Bi-Lo Holdings" has been buying up other chains recently, they might try their best to hang onto the remaining Charlotte stores, but who knows.
Lowe's Foods has already admitted defeat. In areas where Publix announced new stores or in markets new to them, Lowe's Foods is closing or has closed stores.

Food Lion continues to self implode on their own terms. They will continue to divest and close stores. They are finalizing the divestment of Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay to Bi-Lo Holdings.

Bi-Lo Holdings is the last player on their way out of Charlotte. Divesting seven area stores to Publix is the first step. Bi-Lo Holdings acquired 22 stores Piggly Wiggly Carolina. Some of those new acquisitions have not been doing well under Piggly Wiggly or Bi-Lo. Bi-Lo has been rumored as a target for Kroger, who is looking to infill across the Carolinas, improve their presence in Florida and grow through non-union stores.

Publix will compete head on against Food Lion and Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter will lose some business, but not much. Food Lion will shutter dozens of stores.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Lowe's Foods has already admitted defeat. In areas where Publix announced new stores or in markets new to them, Lowe's Foods is closing or has closed stores.

Food Lion continues to self implode on their own terms. They will continue to divest and close stores. They are finalizing the divestment of Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay to Bi-Lo Holdings.

Bi-Lo Holdings is the last player on their way out of Charlotte. Divesting seven area stores to Publix is the first step. Bi-Lo Holdings acquired 22 stores Piggly Wiggly Carolina. Some of those new acquisitions have not been doing well under Piggly Wiggly or Bi-Lo. Bi-Lo has been rumored as a target for Kroger, who is looking to infill across the Carolinas, improve their presence in Florida and grow through non-union stores.

Publix will compete head on against Food Lion and Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter will lose some business, but not much. Food Lion will shutter dozens of stores.
Food Lion isn't doing as bad as a lot of people think, they've actually had sales increases for five consecutive quarters. Although closing some stores might not be such a bad thing...they have 500 in NC alone.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Food Lion isn't doing as bad as a lot of people think, they've actually had sales increases for five consecutive quarters. Although closing some stores might not be such a bad thing...they have 500 in NC alone.
Is Food Lion actually doing better or is the upswing due to moving Bottom Dollar into areas of the Philadelphia market that lost stores in the last few years?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Is Food Lion actually doing better or is the upswing due to moving Bottom Dollar into areas of the Philadelphia market that lost stores in the last few years?
Food Lion may be seeing limited success from their limited store enhancements. They have been refreshing existing stores with new decorations and such. They have not done anything of major significance.

A major significant improvement would be enhancing pharmacy operations. Out of nearly 1,100 stores, 29 Food Lion stores have pharmacy departments. Most Food Lion stores are located in pharmacy deserts. Why pharmacy? Customers do not want to deal with the likes of Walgreen's, CVS and Rite Aid. Pharmacies retain and bring in customers.

Will Food Lion come around? If they want to stay around and compete, they should continue enhancing their stores.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yeah I think those numbers were just talking about the specific Food Lion banner.

Quote:
Food Lion may be seeing limited success from their limited store enhancements. They have been refreshing existing stores with new decorations and such. They have not done anything of major significance.

A major significant improvement would be enhancing pharmacy operations. Out of nearly 1,100 stores, 29 Food Lion stores have pharmacy departments. Most Food Lion stores are located in pharmacy deserts. Why pharmacy? Customers do not want to deal with the likes of Walgreen's, CVS and Rite Aid. Pharmacies retain and bring in customers.

Will Food Lion come around? If they want to stay around and compete, they should continue enhancing their stores.
Agree with the pharmacy thing. But yes they have been trying to improve some of their stores a bit to hopefully shed their reputation of being dirty and such. They may very well be driven to bankruptcy by all the increased competition, but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

The appeal of pharmacies in supermarkets might depend on age.

When the word leaked out, initally, about the Walmart Neighborhood Market going into Kings Mountain, I heard the following comment from a native:

"Good. . .That's more competition to get rid of Food Lion." He then quoted the price of a soft drink that Food Lion was selling for $1.80, that Ingles was selling for $1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte