Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I have not seen a Publix with self check out lanes. Although they may exist.
They do. They're all over the place here in the Atlanta area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Publix seems to "get it" more than Harris Teeter ever did.

Harris Teeter relies way too much on the self checkout lanes. Many times, they'll have the customer service person double as the self-checkout attendant. What inevitably happens is that a few people will need help at customer service and the poor slobs at self-checkout are looking at a "please wait for attendant" screen while the store manager hides in his office.

I have no problem with self-checkout, and for a few items it's probably easier than going to a staffed lane. However, the self-checkout lanes need to be maintained. That means cleaning the glass on the scanner every so often, making sure that there's paper in the printers, and having the scales work so that the dreaded "please wait for attendant" doesn't pop up on every item.

Someone at Kroger needs to visit Publix to see how they handle the self checkout lanes.
I never had those problems at my local HT...

Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 PM

170 posts, read 458,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I never had those problems at my local HT...
I see it happen from time to time. I'll wait in line to be checked out if the Self-Service Attendant is pulling double duty as a cashier.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I have not seen a Publix with self check out lanes. Although they may exist.
My point exactly.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Charlotte really doesn't need another super expensive market.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Charlotte really doesn't need another super expensive market.
Publix isn't expensive.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:52 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Publix isn't expensive.
It's more expensive that HT and Earth Fare. At least in the items I buy. And their private label is not that cheaper than regular brands, again on stuff I buy.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 AM

6 posts, read 12,574 times
My family has been shopping at the new Publix in Indian Land and we have found there prices to be a good bit lower than HT and even Bi-Lo. Plus the customer service at Publix is unbeatable. What other grocery store not only bags your groceries but takes them out and loads them in your car?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
I think the bagging and taking the stuff out to your car is "fluff" that really isn't needed. I do enjoy Publix for the selection and do think they're customer service is great. I choose my grocery store by the location and although I live on the 521 corridor where there are 20 HT's and Publix's intertwined the Publix in Indian Land is closest to my house so I go there. If there was a HT in that location, that's where I'd go.

The new Publix on 521 is opening on the 26th and I'll be happy to go there to see the overabundance of free stuff they give away when they start up + they also bring all those corporate people so people going crazy with the customer service is always nice to see

Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I think the bagging and taking the stuff out to your car is "fluff" that really isn't needed. I do enjoy Publix for the selection and do think they're customer service is great. I choose my grocery store by the location and although I live on the 521 corridor where there are 20 HT's and Publix's intertwined the Publix in Indian Land is closest to my house so I go there. If there was a HT in that location, that's where I'd go.

The new Publix on 521 is opening on the 26th and I'll be happy to go there to see the overabundance of free stuff they give away when they start up + they also bring all those corporate people so people going crazy with the customer service is always nice to see
Agree with the baggers (plus I hate having to make small talk while walking to the car, I am an old grump)

As for grand opening, I didn't see any free stuff other than the reuseable grocery bag. I have to keep an eye out when I go to the Ballantyne opening. I did go to the Indian Land grand opening, and I actually counted how many said variations of hello or may I help, and it was 32 times. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte