Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Competition is good for consumers. With Food Lion's top tier Bloom stores shutting down and switching over to Food Lion stores and Hannafords from the Northeast making a run here some years ago, trying to break into this market would not be a wise investment for the company if I was advising corporate management. I say welcome the competition, but they better be prepared for cut throat competition. The knives are being sharpened.
My guess is that it will be a while before either chain enters Charlotte, unless they succeed in buying stores from Bi-Lo & Lowes Foods. Ingles opened the Kings Mountain store 3 years ago & opened Dallas 6 months later. They are going into Lincolnton & word has it that they have at least one lot in Gastonia. I also heard that they have looked in Belmont. I've also heard that after Publix opens the 2 stores that they have land for, they intend to backfill to Rock Hill.

My guess is that Ingles next move would be Denver, near enough to draw from Huntersville, then somewhere in the vicinity of Concord & Harrisburg, that would be near enough to draw people out of Charlotte. They position their stores carefully to draw from a wide area. Kings Mountain draws heavily out of northern Cherokee County, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM

181 posts, read 353,446 times
Bring it on Publix!! Loved Publix when I lives in SC. No stupid vic,mvp cards to keep up with, everybody gets the deal. The deli is better than HT and a lot cheaper. Breads, subs,preped meals. Even the store brand labels look cool.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
I lived in Tampa for awhile, and I have to say, I prefer Publix over Harris Teeter, but no grocery store has been good enough to make me drive out of my way for anything yet...

Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
My guess is that it will be a while before either chain enters Charlotte, unless they succeed in buying stores from Bi-Lo & Lowes Foods. Ingles opened the Kings Mountain store 3 years ago & opened Dallas 6 months later. They are going into Lincolnton & word has it that they have at least one lot in Gastonia. I also heard that they have looked in Belmont. I've also heard that after Publix opens the 2 stores that they have land for, they intend to backfill to Rock Hill.

My guess is that Ingles next move would be Denver, near enough to draw from Huntersville, then somewhere in the vicinity of Concord & Harrisburg, that would be near enough to draw people out of Charlotte. They position their stores carefully to draw from a wide area. Kings Mountain draws heavily out of northern Cherokee County, SC.
Drawing from a wide area hurts any chain. Customers are going to drive to the nearest store, not the farthest store. Ingle's is getting better at this by adding stores in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
Bring it on Publix!! Loved Publix when I lives in SC. No stupid vic,mvp cards to keep up with, everybody gets the deal. The deli is better than HT and a lot cheaper. Breads, subs,preped meals. Even the store brand labels look cool.
Publix does have cards for its Upromise program for college and its Partners program for school fundraising. They are not the savings programs offered at competitors.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Drawing from a wide area hurts any chain. Customers are going to drive to the nearest store, not the farthest store. Ingle's is getting better at this by adding stores in recent years.
True. Take the Kings Mountain store for example. It's not all that far from Shelby stores or the Bessemer City & Dallas stores, but gets a huge draw out of northern Cherokee County, which is ill-served by 2 Food Lions & a Piggly Wiggly, from what I've heard.

They're finishing a major remodel that is enabling them to significantly expand the amount of stock that's carried

Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM

415 posts, read 1,149,875 times
There is an Ingles in Gaffney (Cherokee County), but not as new as the one in KM.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 AM

540 posts, read 1,705,433 times
FYI - Update on the Publix in IndianLand - they started clearing the lad for it! Yahoo!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
FYI - Update on the Publix in IndianLand - they started clearing the lad for it! Yahoo!!!
If Publix indeed starts expanding into York and Lancaster counties, I would think that would be a gateway for expansion into Charlotte, as those counties are really more of the Charlotte market rather than Upstate SC. And Publix usually likes to have a strong presence when it enters a given market. They dominate down in Fla and have about driven Winn Dixie and Albertson's out of business.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
I live in Greenville, SC and shop at Publix regularly. They have very clean stores, excellent customer service, great deli and bakery, and very good store brands. Their fried chicken is outstanding. And they are very accepting of a wide variety of coupons. Plus they are about the only remaining store in Greenville that makes an effort to carry the Charlotte Observer daily whereas others don't bother anymore. They also carry New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today and Greenville News.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 PM

111 posts, read 323,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
If Publix indeed starts expanding into York and Lancaster counties, I would think that would be a gateway for expansion into Charlotte, as those counties are really more of the Charlotte market rather than Upstate SC. And Publix usually likes to have a strong presence when it enters a given market. They dominate down in Fla and have about driven Winn Dixie and Albertson's out of business.
This is true. If you look at Publix's locations on a map you never just see one store within a 60 mile radius. I hope Publix enters the Charlotte market. They should by out Lowes Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte