Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 51,195 times

Advertisements

What grocery stores does Charlotte have? I refuse to shop at food lion..would rather starve. Relocating from FL and I'm beyond sad there is not a Publix in NC yet! Crazy!! Publix is the most wonderful grocery store EVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saylorbee View Post
What grocery stores does Charlotte have? I refuse to shop at food lion..would rather starve. Relocating from FL and I'm beyond sad there is not a Publix in NC yet! Crazy!! Publix is the most wonderful grocery store EVER!
Harris Teeter, a regional chain in the Carolinas, is HQed in Charlotte and is the gold standard for supermarket shopping in this area ( and a legitimate top 10 nationwide). It's just not top 4 or 5 like Publix.

Of course, I say that as a Floridian. Quite a number of native Carolinians prefer Harris Teeter (although Publix has tended to get the better of the matchup with HT in places where they've competed - Atlanta and Charleston, for example).

Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
What is so great about Publix? I have been to one in Atlanta but wasn't all that impressed.
Please enlighten me.
Nothing at all... grocery stores have done a great job of selling more than food. They now sell an experience and people actually feel better about themselves if they shop at a place that says organic, fresh, local, etc...

Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
I hate the Target grocery concept. All it does is result in the back of the store being freezing cold because of the refridgeration. I'm actually thinking Target is going odwnhill in general. A few years back, I'd go in there for one thing and come out with three giant bags. Those days are gone. When I go to target, When I go to Target, I'm usually also going to Ulta, the library, a shoe store. I'm not going to load up my car with milk and ice cream and head to the library!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I hate the Target grocery concept. All it does is result in the back of the store being freezing cold because of the refridgeration. I'm actually thinking Target is going odwnhill in general. A few years back, I'd go in there for one thing and come out with three giant bags. Those days are gone. When I go to target, When I go to Target, I'm usually also going to Ulta, the library, a shoe store. I'm not going to load up my car with milk and ice cream and head to the library!
They said the same thing about Walmart...

You could easily solve the ice cream problem if you simply rearranged your schedule and went to Target last if you like their ice cream that much.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I don't know for sure but I think Target is doing pretty well overall. But I agree the "let's throw in a little bit of fresh foods" idea is a somewhat weird. I really like SuperTarget though, it's like a slightly more upscale Walmart but still with pretty good prices.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't know for sure but I think Target is doing pretty well overall. But I agree the "let's throw in a little bit of fresh foods" idea is a somewhat weird. I really like SuperTarget though, it's like a slightly more upscale Walmart but still with pretty good prices.
It's not weird to me but it's a little late in the game to jump on the produce wagon.

Obviously they were losing out to Walmart and they finally caved in to try to get some customers back.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I do wish that Whole Foods would hurry up and build so that I don't have to fill my trunk, back seats and floorboards every time I'm visiting folks over in the Triangle. I know they did a "groundbreaking" months ago, but last time I drove by the site it was still one 5-foot-tall pile of dirt and nothing more. I think the target date is mid-2012, so they'd better get cracking.
You can keep track on the Whole Foods Webcam. Still a lot of mud, but progress is being made. I can't wait either, as I live about a mile from there.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
not to rub it in or anything ,
next month Whole Foods opens
here in Wilmington, NC, yeah!

keep that in mind if you are at the beach.

Trader Joe's next year [ well, hopefully] they
just picked a site but is mum about it all.

this is huge for little old Wilmington.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
Default A NEW Publix Supermarket

Just an FYI...was down at Knight's Stadium today & saw that a new Publix Supermarket was being built on Gold Hill Rd., just off the I-77 exit. (Going south on I-77 you would make a right & it's 1 block north of the highway. The sign says it will be completed by the end of the year. I know several posters here have asked about a Publix in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte