Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I've shopped at Publix and HT and I kind of agree that they are similar stores (like Lowe's foods...) Its interesting that not all Publix (just like not all HT's are the same). Harris Teeter is a very clean/updated store in my area, however I stopped in the one in Lincolnton and it looks like a dump.....you can get different impressions from the same store. (the same thing happened to me regarding Publix..the one I stopped in near Gaffney wasnt in the best shape.

In this economy it is very difficult for a higher end store to do well. Usually you'll find 1 of 3 shoppers at HT. 1. The person who will not shop anywhere else because its "beneath" them. 2. The person who goes just for evic and special loss leader items. 3. The person who needs to pick up something quick who forgot to buy it at their staple store over the weekend......

The coupon policy from Publix is a major turnoff for me (I use coupons ALOT). Also, those coupons that you print off the computer. don't be fooled, you generally are not saving money because even w/the discount, those name brands are much higher than store brand.

Like everything else, its nice to debate this, but time will tell how things work out....no one has a clear crystal ball.
Kinda funny how some people are saying the coupon policy at HT is a turnoff and some are saying the coupon policy at Publix is a turnoff...
I don't use coupons a lot, but from what I've seen they both seem pretty good with them, accepting competitors coupons and HT doing their super duper double triple coupons or whatever. No need to be mad if you can't get your grocery list for free.

Name brands are more expensive because a lot of times they are better quality than the store brand (no not always, and I know a lot of times the store brands are made by one of the big companies).

Not sure if it was this thread or not, but I think someone was hoping that Publix was going to be Harris Teeter quality at Walmart prices. If that's what you're hoping for, you're going to be disappointed. Overall, their quality may not be as high as HT (but probably is better in some areas), but is still pretty good, and from what I've seen their prices are a good amount lower than HT, but definitely not as low as Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,461 times
I am moving to Cornelius next week. I will miss the Publix bakery sooooo much!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
thinking about the type of shopper who goes to HT, just to add 1 more, #4 would be the shopper who buys their produce/meats at HT and staples elsewhere....
And the person that prefers good customer service. Their customer service policy blows away anything from Walmart. People greet you on the floor, and make you feel welcome.
Walmart? Good luck trying to find somebody.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
And the person that prefers good customer service. Their customer service policy blows away anything from Walmart. People greet you on the floor, and make you feel welcome.
I don't deny that HT's customer service (at my local store) is good...does it justify the "champagne" prices? to me, absolutely not.

However, at my local Walmart I get along great w/the deli manager (who is from Brooklyn..)..he makes me feel welcome. Now if that doesn't happen to you, I'm sorry..I can only speak for what happens to me.

My local Food Lion has the worst customer service (IMO). The deli people ignore you and make you wait forever to get cold cuts....there is no one on the floor if you need help....(again, this is at my LOCAL Food Lion...I can't speak of other stores and how they are run.)

Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I don't really care about people greeting me while shopping to save money.

It's not a bad thing but it's not enough to make me spent $20 to $40 dollars more for the same items.

HT's wine selection and specialty items are the only reason I shop there from time to time. They also have the best selection of eye candy (the ladies) when it comes to shoppers.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Well, CouponJack and Feltdesiger - you are not one of the people that fit this description. But they have their regulars, and that is one of the reasons they keep coming back. Some people place relationships over saving a few dollars.
I don't fit into that description either.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Just an FYI...was down at Knight's Stadium today & saw that a new Publix Supermarket was being built on Gold Hill Rd., just off the I-77 exit. (Going south on I-77 you would make a right & it's 1 block north of the highway. The sign says it will be completed by the end of the year. I know several posters here have asked about a Publix in the area.
What is the status of this new store......still opening in December?

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM

123 posts, read 282,921 times
And there is one going up on Hwy 521 South near Sun City in Indian Land, SC that looks like it will be open in a few months. I hear four are going up along the border. Also heard HT is taking over several Lowe's Foods in the area in NC.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
This week, HT changed their double coupon policy. They went from a 99 cent limit to $2.00 per coupon.

The 99 cent limit was frustrating because many coupons are $1.00 these days. Having 4 $2.00 coupons tonight, it was nice to get $16.00 off my bill.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte