Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Walk in beer and wine coolers and year-round garden centers are fairly new concepts to Ingle's, and would help out on the amenity offerings. Publix has a size advantage by opening smaller stores in urban neighborhoods while still providing fresh foods and pharmacy services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walk in beer and wine coolers and year-round garden centers are fairly new concepts to Ingle's, and would help out on the amenity offerings. Publix has a size advantage by opening smaller stores in urban neighborhoods while still providing fresh foods and pharmacy services.
There's a small walk in cooler in the Kings Mountain store. The store is 4 years old, so just before the full-blown beer & wine cooler & the Starbucks. I think it was about a year before the garden centers.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Harris Teeter is launching two new upscale grocery stores in the Charlotte region called "201central"..
1 step closer to closing itself. HT will be directly impacted by Publix. They first are competing against itself in Fort Mill. Now opening a brand new brand/stores while Publix now announcing a NC location. Good luck HT... looks like you are committing suicide.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Local Publix manager here in GVL said Publix forced Food Lion to retreat from Florida, and is about to put Winn Dixie out of business down there. He said BiLo is barely hanging on and predicted they would be the next to go. He said he is hearing Publix has big future plans for Charlotte and NC but didn't know many details. They are aware of HT, but said their main competition most places is Walmart. But Publix succeeds against Walmart because of higher quality product, better customer service, and clean stores, he said. "There are always people who don't want to buy groceries in the same place they buy socks and underwear," as he put it.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
And I am a big fan of Publix bakery and deli products. Whenever I do fried chicken carryout, I always choose Publix over KFC and Bojangles, because it is more affordable and very good. And their coleslaw and potato salad is also quite good. As well as hot wings and deli sandwiches. And their chocolate cream pie and Oreo cookies and creme brownies are among my favorites in the bakery. And I love the Publix Triple Chocolate ice cream. And don't forget the doughnuts in the bakery either. Better than Dunkin and right up there with Krispy Kreme. Plus they still sell the Clt Observer at their stores here in GVL, SC, but because people request it. Even though they don't make any profit from the newspapers, which they sell at cost for .75 and $2.00 on Sunday. And they also carry NY Times, WSJ, USA Today, and local GVL News which is actually $1.00 and $2.50 Sundays. They are really one of the few remaining places in this area to buy newspapers anymore, other than QT and the local overpriced paper. But they make an effort to sell these papers to provide good customer service, as it is not a revenue generator for them.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
1 step closer to closing itself. HT will be directly impacted by Publix. They first are competing against itself in Fort Mill. Now opening a brand new brand/stores while Publix now announcing a NC location. Good luck HT... looks like you are committing suicide.
To be honest, I don't think Harris Teeter will close because of Publix entering North Carolina. The HT brand is too popular in the state, especially in the Charlotte area. It's just a larger company coming into an area that's dominant by it's largest competitor in the area. The only trouble I could expect from HT is when Publix opens multiple locations within Charlotte, or Harris Teeter elsewhere in North Carolina.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I lived in Florida for years. There isn't anything better about Publix. It is an average grocer. It doesn't compare with some local born specialty grocers we have in the area. They will be just another grocer and nothing special. "Committing suicide?" LOL!!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:34 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
To be honest, I don't think Harris Teeter will close because of Publix entering North Carolina. The HT brand is too popular in the state, especially in the Charlotte area. It's just a larger company coming into an area that's dominant by it's largest competitor in the area. The only trouble I could expect from HT is when Publix opens multiple locations within Charlotte, or Harris Teeter elsewhere in North Carolina.
It is all about convenience. HT shoppers will have no other reason to switch grocers. When I lived in Florida, I looked forward to shopping in HT. You won't find a Publix in Florida that touches some of our better Harris Teeters.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:44 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
It is all about convenience. HT shoppers will have no other reason to switch grocers. When I lived in Florida, I looked forward to shopping in HT. You won't find a Publix in Florida that touches some of our better Harris Teeters.
Publix is a very well respected brand that many North Carolinian's have waited for, for a very long time. I'm sure some people will prefer Publix over HT, I'm sure there will be people who will find the slightest thing to complain about with Publix and I'm sure there will be people who will shop at both.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,429 times
There will be over 200 new Publix stores open throughout NC over the next 10 years. The four existing divisions support about 250 stores each and the new Charlotte division won't be any different. Many new store openings throughout the state will be announced within 6 months, including Raleigh (3) Cary (2) Fayetteville (1) NC coastal (3) Durham (2) Greensboro (1) Winston Salem (1) CLT metro (12). Harris Teeter knows how big of a deal this is because they know what a new Publix division means. Problem is, they don't know what to do about it.

as a disclaimer, all this is pure speculation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte