Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 PM

124 posts, read 361,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you so much! My guys are foodies and enjoy new tastes. I just don't know much about prep for Cuban food, but do make a mean Cuban sandwich (after I had my first one - found a recipe to make my own!!!) . . . and have made other dishes when I can find ingredients. I had no clue what Mojo was!

Really appreciate your sharing the info. I enjoy cooking . . .
Love your enthusiasm Ani and love your postings. You are so positive and upbeat and really add to this site. Keep it up I always enjoy reading your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM

747 posts, read 2,104,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
I have been here 4 months, and I really miss Publix. HT doesn't do it for me, I have been going to Lowe's since it reminds of Publix (must be the green logo). Hopefully this will have Badia spices. I can't wait to go! That would be great if they opened in Lake Norman. Thank you.
Your welcome, its where shopping is a pleasure (inside joke for Publix people only)!
I believ they did have Badia, though I didnt look. I know I could not find a few things we looked for, but overall it was worthwhile.
I actually prefer HT over Lowes. I do have to go to Lowes to buy my Daughter a chocolate glazed doughnut though. They taste just like Publix she says, she didnt like HT or FLion's doughnuts.
Its funny how I dont miss anything about Fla after living there my whole life; except for Publix!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:50 PM

417 posts, read 813,682 times
Default Badia

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
I have been here 4 months, and I really miss Publix. HT doesn't do it for me, I have been going to Lowe's since it reminds of Publix (must be the green logo). Hopefully this will have Badia spices. I can't wait to go! That would be great if they opened in Lake Norman. Thank you.
I'm (was) a Floridian too and have missed Publix since I've moved....great store!....I miss their bread and my husband misses their 6 pack donut boxes...glad to know that there are others out there who share the same thought! I hope they do plan to build one locally. Mikealialex-I think you should start the petition.... (just teasing)

Geogirl: I used to buy Badia from Publix also and happen to find a Badia spice section at the Bi-Lo grocery in Fort Mill, SC 1329 Highway 160 West. Maybe a Bi-Lo closer to you might carry it also?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 21,676 times
My fiance is from Ft. Lauderdale and has praised Publix since the day I meet her, we may travel down next weekend for a visit to the one in Spartanburg!

On a side note, does anyone know of somewhere around Charlotte that serves Vaca Frita??? I cant find ANYWHERE

Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM

285 posts, read 1,071,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niner49 View Post
My fiance is from Ft. Lauderdale and has praised Publix since the day I meet her, we may travel down next weekend for a visit to the one in Spartanburg!

On a side note, does anyone know of somewhere around Charlotte that serves Vaca Frita??? I cant find ANYWHERE
I don't know who serves it but I have a recipe for it as it is a fave here in my house if you are interested.

I have found Badia spices at the latin markets here called Compare. There are a couple of locations around.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:28 AM

285 posts, read 1,071,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NewCharlottan: What, exactly, is "sour orange?" Is it an extract? I see you gave a substitute, but I am wondering what sour orange actually is.

I appreciate your educating me. I am taking notes!!!!!
Sorry I didn't see your post but saw that someone answered.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 21,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
I don't know who serves it but I have a recipe for it as it is a fave here in my house if you are interested.

I have found Badia spices at the latin markets here called Compare. There are a couple of locations around.
Any way you could PM it to me??????? Maybe my Fiance would surprise me and make it one night!!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 25,256 times
Default Publix to come to the Charlotte area

An agent in our firm who handles commercial is making a proposal to Publix to come to the Charlotte area. I will keep you posted as to what they say, particularly if they decline. From the interest on the board, I'm sure some would like to know their reasons if they say no. Not being from FL, but having vacationed there countless times, I would welcome a new choice to the area.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNC3 View Post
An agent in our firm who handles commercial is making a proposal to Publix to come to the Charlotte area. I will keep you posted as to what they say, particularly if they decline. From the interest on the board, I'm sure some would like to know their reasons if they say no. Not being from FL, but having vacationed there countless times, I would welcome a new choice to the area.

Thanks!
Thanks, Sam! Do let us know! I was on Publix' website a few weeks ago, trying to determine if they had any plans for opening a store in our area, and couldn't find out a thing. So I am very curious.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I asked Publix about future plans.

The reply is below.

Thank you for your email. We appreciate our customers taking the time to contact us.

Publix constantly evaluates the markets we currently operate in as well as adjacent markets. However, there are no immediate plans to move beyond the five states we currently operate in which are Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Tennessee.
I had this post in another thread, so keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte