Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Buy a picnic leg (I buy when they are on sale for .89 lb). Take a sharp pointed knife, and poke holes in the tough outer fat/ skin layer. Rub entire leg with chopped garlic (I use garlic in olive oil). I then place the leg in a airtight container, and pour several cups of mojo on top. I place in fridge for 24 hours, turning the pork several times to coat evenly. I roast covered with foil @ 250 degrees with the marinating juices for 8-10 hours (fat side up). Take off the foil, and brown under the broiler to crisp skin.

Yucca can just be pan fried with garlic and butter until warm. If you slice open the pieces, you will see the strings, just pull them out. You can also buy frozen yucca, which will need to be boiled first. Remember, canned yucca is just like canned potatoes, you can cook the same way.

Here is another recipe for lechon (pork). Explore the website, very interesting reading.

3 Guys Cuban Recipe: Cuban Main Dish: Lechon Asado (Cuban)
Thank you so much! My guys are foodies and enjoy new tastes. I just don't know much about prep for Cuban food, but do make a mean Cuban sandwich (after I had my first one - found a recipe to make my own!!!) . . . and have made other dishes when I can find ingredients. I had no clue what Mojo was!

Really appreciate your sharing the info. I enjoy cooking . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM

693 posts, read 2,177,474 times
Are they really supposed to be opening in Lake Norman?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 PM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
90 miles??? Why didn't you just have someone from Miami send you up a care package?? Would have been much cheaper..

Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 PM

747 posts, read 2,106,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
90 miles??? Why didn't you just have someone from Miami send you up a care package?? Would have been much cheaper..
We had never been anywhere in SC, just passed through on the way here. We wanted to explore. Publix was just our endpoint. We drove around Spartanburg a little, etc. You are right, too expensive to drive just for Publix.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,441 times
Another favorite way to make yucca is to use good 1/4-1/3 cup spanish olive oil (pompeii is good and available at all supermarkets), heat it slowly. Add a sliced white onion and a few cloves of chopped garlic. Cook it slowly to infuse the oil.

When the onions are slightly softened, add canned or boiled yucca and coat with the oil and warm through. Add about 1/4 cup of sour orange and cook for 5 minutes on low.

Serve.

If you can't find sour orange, you can use equal portions of freshly squeezed orange juice and lime.

I also add salt, pepper, cumin and oregano to my pork along with the mojo to marinate.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
NewCharlottan: What, exactly, is "sour orange?" Is it an extract? I see you gave a substitute, but I am wondering what sour orange actually is.

I appreciate your educating me. I am taking notes!!!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:25 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,266 times
I asked Publix about future plans.

The reply is below.

Thank you for your email. We appreciate our customers taking the time to contact us.

Publix constantly evaluates the markets we currently operate in as well as adjacent markets. However, there are no immediate plans to move beyond the five states we currently operate in which are Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Tennessee.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:02 PM

416 posts, read 926,872 times
FYI........Last week I purchased a 64oz. jug of mojo criollo at COSTCO! (Matthews)
I cook a lot with it in the summer. I love it
It's way better then the comparison of the "gringo version" of creamy italian dressing . I mean on a salad CI dressing ,o.k, but as a marinade creamy italian dressing dosen't cut it....omg this citrus based marinade is the way to go.
Run to costco ,it's a value for 6 dollars !! and one of the better brands I have tried.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:05 PM

32 posts, read 100,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NewCharlottan: What, exactly, is "sour orange?" Is it an extract? I see you gave a substitute, but I am wondering what sour orange actually is.

I appreciate your educating me. I am taking notes!!!!!

A "sour orange" is a hybrid cross. Click, on this link if you would like to know more.
Bitter orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's used for marinading meats. Largely used by hispanics in a marinade called "mojo" where the main ingredient is "sour orange", along with other condiments like comino,garlic,oregano and salt.
Mostly used on hogs and/or pigs for basting and while roasting.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 PM

111 posts, read 332,428 times
Default You have made my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
We all took a drive to Publix in Spartanburg today. We stocked up on Mojo (Gallon for $4.99), Goya products.
I have been here 4 months, and I really miss Publix. HT doesn't do it for me, I have been going to Lowe's since it reminds of Publix (must be the green logo). Hopefully this will have Badia spices. I can't wait to go! That would be great if they opened in Lake Norman. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte