Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Specifically, Magnolia Plaza shopping center at Jetton Road and West Catawba Ave.
Good busy location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Went to the Indian Land Publix this past weekend. I don't get the hoopla. Nothing special here, folks. I ended up having to stop by Harris Teeter and Fresh Market to get a few specialty items that weren't available at Publix.

Not one thing in that store that seemed a better buy or a superior brand to what I can find at H-T.
i strongly dislike their attitude towards shopping, as if shopping at Publix should be a reward in and of itsself. I sincerely hope they don't but HT, I'd hate to see what they do to it.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Went to the Indian Land Publix this past weekend. I don't get the hoopla. Nothing special here, folks. I ended up having to stop by Harris Teeter and Fresh Market to get a few specialty items that weren't available at Publix.

Not one thing in that store that seemed a better buy or a superior brand to what I can find at H-T.

That's not what the Church Of Publix ministers tell us!!

lol.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
That's not what the Church Of Publix ministers tell us!!

lol.
I am starting to wonder what it is I am missing? As you know, I am pretty scientific w/ my grocery shopping! I compare prices and have certain brands I will and won't buy. Also, where the item is from - if it is Dole but still says "product of China," forget that. I don't care how loyal I have been to Dole - I am not eating produce from China -- too much pollution there.

I am not cheap w/ deli items nor with bakery, either - I will pay the price as long as the quality matches the price. I love a bargain but cheap or inferior isn't a bargain - I am into comparing quality first and then looking at price. After all, it may be worth paying a few more cents per pound if the location of the store is closer.

Variety is another thing, too.

I have shopped at Florida Publix (in several towns) many times over the last 30 or so years. I never thought the stores were anything to write home about. But I decided - let's see if I have been missing something.

Just doesn't hit me as anything special. I much prefer Harris Teeter. So I really want to know what it is that folks rave about in re: to Publix . . . ??? What did I miss????

Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
All you "missed" is the comfort of the familiar...

Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I am starting to wonder what it is I am missing? As you know, I am pretty scientific w/ my grocery shopping! I compare prices and have certain brands I will and won't buy. Also, where the item is from - if it is Dole but still says "product of China," forget that. I don't care how loyal I have been to Dole - I am not eating produce from China -- too much pollution there.

I am not cheap w/ deli items nor with bakery, either - I will pay the price as long as the quality matches the price. I love a bargain but cheap or inferior isn't a bargain - I am into comparing quality first and then looking at price. After all, it may be worth paying a few more cents per pound if the location of the store is closer.

I have shopped at Florida Publix (in several towns) many times over the last 30 or so years. I never thought the stores were anything to write home about. But I decided - let's see if I have been missing something.

Just doesn't hit me as anything special. I much prefer Harris Teeter. So I really want to know what it is that folks rave about in re: to Publix . . . ??? What did I miss????
Ani, I haven't been in Publix & probably won't bother until they get to Gastonia. I do have an opinion formed of what the "magic" is. - Hispanic products & produce. - This is my opinion based on the countless Publix posts on this board.

I've pointed people to Compare Foods in the past when they're looking for certain items.

I'll be interested to find out if Publix carries frying peppers. Compare Foods is the only place that I can find them under the name Cubanelle.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
All you "missed" is the comfort of the familiar...
To some degree, I am sure that is true but honestly I felt I could have been in any number of grocery stores - nothing that singular to set it off. Might as well have been a generic grocery store, lol.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I haven't been in Publix & probably won't bother until they get to Gastonia. I do have an opinion formed of what the "magic" is. - Hispanic products & produce. - This is my opinion based on the countless Publix posts on this board.

I've pointed people to Compare Foods in the past when they're looking for certain items.

I'll be interested to find out if Publix carries frying peppers. Compare Foods is the only place that I can find them under the name Cubanelle.
Ohhhh! That makes a lot of sense! Maybe I should have been looking with an eye towards those types of products! I never thought of that. Good observation, SB!

I wish someone carried a good section of Indian food (ingredients, spices, bread). I did find a store not far from me so I suppose I should just be thankful for that (and I am).

I will have to see if those Cubanelle peppers are at Publix when I venture into one again!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:

I don't think there are a ton of items you will find at Publix that you can't find at HT. I haven't done a full shopping trip at Publix, but there are a few items I buy a lot that are significantly cheaper at Publix compared to HT. Was your total bill not much different at Publix compared to HT (not counting the things you couldn't find I guess)?

What did you think of the deli and bakery? HT does have a pretty good one as well, but that is one area that a lot of Publix backers are fans of.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Was in two different Publix in SC while traveling this weekend.

They are fine, but can't see that they are better or bigger than HT. Sounds like a bit of grass is greener syndrome to me.

Our HT in New Bern, which I am sure is not top dog, is preferable from both selection and esthetics points of view.

I am not "hatin on Publix," just do not see their superiority to HT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte