Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 AM

450 posts, read 550,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
My mother meets the requirement for the final item on the list. She entered here on a student visa 1986, I just need proof that she has been here continuously for five years before 1996. Of course, I would make phone calls after reading this to confirm but each state handles the five year wait different but provide exceptions for immigrants that were already here 1996. Some states require that if you obtained permanent residency after 1996 then you have to wait five years or have 40 work credits (which takes ten years), the end. Some other states on the other hand have it easier, where if you already residing here on and before that date but arrived afterwards, as long as you show proof of continuous residency since the date you first entered the US and to the date you got permanent residency, there is no 5 year ban.

Here is something similar for Minnesota:
http://hcopub.dhs.state.mn.us/iapmst...ligibility.pdf

I know it will be unfair to just give foreigners same health benefits but come on, if someone has been living here legally for that long, that should be taken into account. Her immigration lawyer seems not eager to help out as he knows nothing about state benefits for immigrants. It seems I am better off getting an elder care lawyer in Minnesota and see if I need to do additional steps.
It is possible that you might be assuming she's been here legally for years when she hasn't? It actually sounds like she had a student visa, overstayed it as in didn't go home when it expired, was maybe here illegally until somehow she qualified for permanent residency 6 months ago.

Of the legitimate student visa holders I went to school with, they aggressively looked for jobs with sponsorship from employers and therefore were able to stay legally and also accrue work credits or quickly married a US citizen. Something about your mother's story is off so maybe she's not been here legally all that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 AM

167 posts, read 189,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
It is possible that you might be assuming she's been here legally for years when she hasn't? It actually sounds like she had a student visa, overstayed it as in didn't go home when it expired, was maybe here illegally until somehow she qualified for permanent residency 6 months ago.

Of the legitimate student visa holders I went to school with, they aggressively looked for jobs with sponsorship from employers and therefore were able to stay legally and also accrue work credits or quickly married a US citizen. Something about your mother's story is off so maybe she's not been here legally all that time.
She has work credits. If she was here illegally, the USCIS department would have known about it and so her immigration lawyer. I'm sure the oil and engineering companies she worked as an accountant for, which tend to be thorough in checking their applicants before hiring them, would not have hired her. I'm sure it will be difficult to obtain a social security number and driver's license, both she also has, as an illegal. It took the immigration department two years to give her green card status. Yes she arrived here on a student visa but she also has a work permit and probably used the work permit or use employee sponsor ship to keep her working here. I don't know how work permits and the entire process goes as I never worked in another country before. If she was here illegally, she would not be able to get jobs through agencies as that was how she got her jobs. Don't tell me that she wasn't here legally. I'm working too hard and that is the last thing I want to hear right now.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:11 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
Ok, if you can get her to a Medicaid state and have her determined disabled by SSA then you can get paid to care for her in the home or you can hire aides. In NY, it's called cdpap and it's pretty much in every state but may go by a different name. I'm guessing the blue states will provide more help.
The only other option I can think of is basically signing her over to the state. The hospital social worker really shouldn't have left you in the wind. You're obviously not the only person with immigration issues they've seen in Texas.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM

I managed to find a program that would have been perfect for my mother. It's called the Hill Burton Program and it is a program that some hospitals and nursing homes become a part of to offer low cost or free health care to uninsured low income people like my mother. I saw a list of possible nursing homes that were a part of this program but unfortunately, Texas didn't have any. They were all clinics and hospitals. It seems for what I am looking for (nursing homes), New York had the most of them. I am slowly running out of numbers to call. I am calling various programs under the US health and human services about what could be available in Texas and so far no progress.

Damn.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Is your mother able to participate at all in this situation? Or is she unable to communicate? She worked as a professional, an accountant, so maybe she has some ideas about what she wants done for her??
You said you had contacted APS, I think. Do you want them to take guardianship of her?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,438 times
Spouse's Liability for Debt of Other Spouse

For future reference ^^^^^

Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I made sure that i did not sign anything that would make me responsible for any medical debt. I even asked this to billing departments at hospitals and to people before I signed. That article targets married couples which have a different level of responsibliility than family members

Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Is your mother able to participate at all in this situation? Or is she unable to communicate? She worked as a professional, an accountant, so maybe she has some ideas about what she wants done for her??
You said you had contacted APS, I think. Do you want them to take guardianship of her?
No she can't participate. She can communicate but it's mostly of nonsensical ramblings. Why should I let APS take guardianship of her if they don't know what to do with her?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:07 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
No she can't participate. She can communicate but it's mostly of nonsensical ramblings. Why should I let APS take guardianship of her if they don't know what to do with her?
I thought you said you had contacted them. The decision may be out of your hands.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Please get the SSI application in. I do hope that her work credits are enough for SSDI, but if not, then you will need the SSI and won't want to be behind on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving