Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:29 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Why doesn't she have insurance? Surely she can get it through the exchange.
OP would have to pay for that, and maybe she cannot afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 11:15 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,345 times
Shoot.... you would be in better shape if she was still in the hospital. I would recommend contacting an Elder Care lawyer at this point to make sure you aren't missing anything.

If she develops any health issues, take her right to the ER and remember.... once she is there and admitted they can't discharge her if you say that you can't take care of her. Even if they threaten.... Talk to the Elder Care lawyer about this.

Can you move with her, to another state? It can take a long time to get onto Medicaid in some states, so you would need direction here.

How much care does she truly need? Is she mentally intact? Can she sit up and transfer into a wheelchair? It may be possible for you to have her stay with you and have someone check on her once or twice a day rather than 24 hour care. Most people do not need 24 hour care unless they are demented and at risk for wandering or have multiple unstable medical problems that need constant attention.

Alternatively, I would think about moving her back to Mexico, and paying for care there, which would be cheaper. Maybe some distant family members might help out.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
I am so sorry for your situation, OP

I find the suggestion of a homeless shelter to be absurd! None of them provide care on a long-term basis, and won't accept people unable to provide self-care. I read most won't even let someone bring assistive devices, like a cane, because they could be used as a weapon!

Clearly no one is trying to help in a realistic fashion. Perhaps take your story to the media? A TV station that has a troubleshooter?

Have you tried a GoFundMe account? Of course, you need ongoing care, not a specific sum, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Oh, Dear God, to be in such a situation.......keep praying, God will send a solution.....

Old 01-21-2017, 11:45 AM

167 posts, read 189,364 times
This morning I went to the store and my mother has fell off my bed and I was gone for just 20 minutes. she is just laying there. I couldn't lift her up. I didn't want her using the restroom on my floor. I couldn't even change her diapers. I just don't have the strength to lift someone around. And if I don't have the strength, how would I do simple things like sit her up, cloth her, shower her. Just getting her to turn over and sit up was difficult. I kind of shut down and lost it. I knew things are going to get much worse so I called 911.

I am sorry for the long wait. I just returned from the hospital and here is what happened:

I just returned from the hospital and kind of "vent" about everything I have done and even told them that I cannot take her back. I told them my out of state plan (to transfer her to a nursing home where she can apply for medicaid and she'll be most likely to be eligible). I did sign papers but it was for my mother's behalf since she could not sign the documents but I absolutely made sure that I was not signing anything that says that I am financially responsible. The stuff I signed was mostly permission to take care of her, use her information for state benefit purposes, and authorization that she can go to the hospital but none of it mentions I am responsible for anything related to her. All of it was me signing that the hospital is responsible for her. As for transportation, the hospital doesn't provide long distance transport. I did find from another forum of a hotline that provides services for long distance medical transport for people with low income. I told the social worker my plan, and what I would like to happen. They look like they seem to be willing to help me out. I was super serious. Sending her to a homeless shelter will be almost illegal as they are sending her to die.

Some other lady suggested that I should exhaust my resources in texas first before I go to another state but i'm sure she is not aware of how much I have done. She even suggested Medicare and combined with SSI she can get care in assisted living. That's great and all but my mother is not "independent" enough and care for herself at all. She will not be appropriate for assisted living. I can apply for all the disability social security stuff I can but it will be much easier if she is in a stable place where she is receiving medicaid so that the wait time to hear back from social security will not be stressful enough if people keep throwing discharge notices at me. She also mentioned that you'll have to reside in a state for six months in order to be a resident. That didn't make sense because I contacted a nursing home in minnesota, and they said once you are admitted, you are a resident (minnesota resident) because you have an address there. the only time you won't be considered a resident if you are sent to the nursing home by the home state but my mother is not a "ward" to the state so that doesn't apply to her.

But i'm going to spend the entire weekend looking aggressively at nursing homes in minnesota. Can anyone answer this question, it may be a stupid question but am I crazy for doing this? I know financially it will be a bit of a strain as I would have to figure out how to pay for the first month of the nursing home or the down payment. It will depend on the nursing home but, is what I am doing good? I seems like I am rushing this but I cannot afford to go back to square one again (this is the third time). People seem to give me weird looks as if I chose Minnesota at random. I chose Minnesota for these reasons and after lots of research:

1) Medicaid requirement for non-citizens is less stricting. And if she doesn't get Medicaid, there is a backup called MinnesotaCare which is like Medicaid but you pay a premium but depending on the circumstances and income, you may not have to pay any.
2) It is not a filial state, so I don't have to worry about breaking a state law if I refuse or say that I can't care for my mother.
3) Cost of living. While it is still higher than Texas, it is tolerable and not massaschusetts, california, or new york expensive.
4) A state that participated in Medicaid expansion. I know texas and some other states where medicaid expansion didn't expand have problems where funding for healthcare for low income people have been cut. I once considered maine but goodness that state is like a little texas (but a prettier version) in their government. I don't want that.
5) Last. because I will be moving up there with her, I considered at least natural beauty. There was a time when I thought about what it would be like to live in minnesota (the northern dense forest and snow like you are in finland or something) but that was years ago and never really took it seriously but now I am.

Last edited by buzzlightyear00; 01-21-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 PM

to give a brief for those notice the two links I linked on my initial post, my mother had a stroke and is unable to care for herself at all. She was denied medicaid because she is a permanent resident but didn't get 40 credit hours. They know that she has been in this country for over 30 years and paying taxes. She even married in the united states (though not to a US citizen). that wasn't enough to change their decision. she has very low income so she can't qualify for benefits in Texas. I did everything people have mentioned on here. I really want to give up but then I can't...

Old 01-21-2017, 12:26 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
You have to work under a Social Security number to gain work credits. Work under a tax id number does not earn you credits towards Medicare or Social Security benefits. If she has accumulated work credits, there may be a phase-in for Medicare where she pays into the program to receive full benefits. It is expensive. There is a totalization agreement between the US and Mexico. That may be something worth looking into.

You're looking for some program to take her off your hands. You may have to make some adjustments in the interim.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:28 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,786 times
Are you saying that MN definitely will take your mom into skilled nursing and/or rehab on Medicaid even though she did not get in enough working credits since she became a permanent resident?

Check with the facilities that you are looking into to see how payments are made until Medicaid hopefully comes through.

Could you contact Legal Aid in MN to check this out or even an elder care lawyer? You really need exact and correct information at this point so you don't move yourself and your mother a huge distance to no avail.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You have to work under a Social Security number to gain work credits. Work under a tax id number does not earn you credits towards Medicare or Social Security benefits. If she has accumulated work credits, there may be a phase-in for Medicare where she pays into the program to receive full benefits. It is expensive. There is a totalization agreement between the US and Mexico. That may be something worth looking into.

You're looking for some program to take her off your hands. You may have to make some adjustments in the interim.
I don't know what made you think she is from mexico. She is from africa. She has had a social security number since the early 80s.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Are you saying that MN definitely will take your mom into skilled nursing and/or rehab on Medicaid even though she did not get in enough working credits since she became a permanent resident?

Check with the facilities that you are looking into to see how payments are made until Medicaid hopefully comes through.

Could you contact Legal Aid in MN to check this out or even an elder care lawyer? You really need exact and correct information at this point so you don't move yourself and your mother a huge distance to no avail.
I thought about contacting an elder law but I thought elder laws were only good for people that are concerned about assets. She has no property or funds or any kind of investment other than an IRA but her assets in total are below $2000 and she is..practically homeless (no address) with no income. The difficulty is I don't have a green card physically with me but I do know items such as her alien number. If an elder law is useful just to know if she will meet the non-citizen requirement then I would check them out. The 40 credits requirement doesn't apply in Minnesota and because she lived in the united states prior to 1996 and has been living here for more than 5 years. she'll meet the non-citizen requirement.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I thought about contacting an elder law but I thought elder laws were only good for people that are concerned about assets. She has no property or funds or any kind of investment other than an IRA but her assets in total are below $2000 and she is..practically homeless (no address) with no income. The difficulty is I don't have a green card physically with me but I do know items such as her alien number. If an elder law is useful just to know if she will meet the non-citizen requirement then I would check them out. The 40 credits requirement doesn't apply in Minnesota and because she lived in the united states prior to 1996 and has been living here for more than 5 years. she'll meet the non-citizen requirement.
While some/many people do work with elder care attorneys for "protecting assets", elder care attorneys also make sure that people have signed all of the appropriate legal documents for their situation and help people get benefits that they are legally entitled to receive.

Among my friends & acquaintances perhaps only 10% used elder care attorneys to "protect assets" and the vast, vast majority used them for things such as getting parent or spouse on Medicaid.

I recently got a price quote from an eldercare attorney/senior planning agency in Wisconsin. Their estimated cost to assist on a "basic, simple Medicaid placement" was $1,000. And, that included the child/spouse doing most of the "legwork" in compiling the needed documentation. If they actually needed an attorney to get involved in "complex issues" it would be $250 an hour additional for their "time and expertise".

People that I have known, who applied for Medicaid, took anywhere from 1 month to over a year to get approval, after they had gathered the necessary paperwork and applied. In most cases it took about six months. However, that may or may not be typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving