Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 04:47 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry you are under this extreme pressure, especially from the hospital right now. I'd encourage you to ignore the hospital reps. right now, just keep saying No to the possibility of her release into your care. To me, the fact that they are pressuring you is a sign that without your say-so, they can't do it.

I think YOU need a legal advocate, to know the extent of your legal responsibility towards making arrangements for her future. That could go a long way towards shutting down the pressure extended from the hospital admin. right now. So it's important for you to keep tomorrow's appointment.

Here are some web sites which could be helpful down the road. But the important thing is tomorrow's appointment. Don't get side-tracked from this!

https://www.theseniorsource.org

HOME - JUSTICE IN AGING

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/h...cal_bills.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
I'm going to the appointment. I just need a fast way to solve this mess until I get a plan figured out to send her to another state. I don't want her to be a victim of "patient dumping" as that has happened before in several hospitals in many states.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Shoot.... you would be in better shape if she was still in the hospital. I would recommend contacting an Elder Care lawyer at this point to make sure you aren't missing anything.

If she develops any health issues, take her right to the ER and remember.... once she is there and admitted they can't discharge her if you say that you can't take care of her. Even if they threaten.... Talk to the Elder Care lawyer about this.

Can you move with her, to another state? It can take a long time to get onto Medicaid in some states, so you would need direction here.

How much care does she truly need? Is she mentally intact? Can she sit up and transfer into a wheelchair? It may be possible for you to have her stay with you and have someone check on her once or twice a day rather than 24 hour care. Most people do not need 24 hour care unless they are demented and at risk for wandering or have multiple unstable medical problems that need constant attention.

Alternatively, I would think about moving her back to Mexico, and paying for care there, which would be cheaper. Maybe some distant family members might help out.
It is a myth that it's illegal to discharge. My brother goes into nursing homes sometimes but Medicare will not pay for people who just can't care for themselves. The name for that will come to me in a second.

He has to give them a deposit, pay in advance, or start the spending down to use Medicaid.

In the situation of the OP, Medicaid won't pay. THAT is the issue.

The only thing I don't understand about OP's situation is that while I understand that Texas did not take part in the medicaid expansion, the mother should still be eligible due to age and/or disability.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I am not sure how an immigration lawyer can help me out as her case has more to do with a combination of disability, elder, and social security. I can't really do anything with the USCIS to change that. While you can expedite a naturalization application, you can't expedite a green card date. It's kind of against the law to sign up for a social security account for someone. I rather have the SSA look up that information. SSDI requires a certain number of credits and at her age, she needs about 30 credits and she has 20. I need to find out where the 20 came from and see if it is possible to make those "missing" credits mentioned in the 1999 document I found count.
Even w/o work credits she would be eligible for SSI. (welfare version of SSDI) and medicaid. Apply for both at the same time. The SSA has all her work credit info.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 PM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It is a myth that it's illegal to discharge. My brother goes into nursing homes sometimes but Medicare will not pay for people who just can't care for themselves. The name for that will come to me in a second.

He has to give them a deposit, pay in advance, or start the spending down to use Medicaid.

In the situation of the OP, Medicaid won't pay. THAT is the issue.

The only thing I don't understand about OP's situation is that while I understand that Texas did not take part in the medicaid expansion, the mother should still be eligible due to age and/or disability.
Yes but she's a permanent resident and Texas's requirement for non-citizens is the part that is making everything complicated. There is no alternative for non-citizen permanent residents that need 24 hour care but can't get medicaid.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I already contacted two senators in texas that represent the area I live. I don't have time for lawyers right now. I live in the state capitol, I can visit the offices of these senators if doing so on the phone isn't fast enough. I am running out of time. All I want is a few months so I can get her out of this state. I just knew this was going to happen. I don't know what is going to happen next. If I have to contact the senate office everyday then i'll have to. I"m tired of being ignored. I can't fall for it because if I do, she'll end up back in the hospital again.

Yes documented also applies to lawful immigrants so that kind of shows, she doesn't really know what she is talking about. I am so fed up with social workers. I guess the hospital never had immigrant patients before. She couldn't come up with a situation that involved indigent non-citizen patients....

There's got to be an alternative program somewhere in Texas that helps with poor disabled indigent people that were not able to get medicaid for some reason. If there was such a program and it exists in Lubbock or Dallas, I am more than willing to move her to those places. It doesn't have to be only Austin. Come on, Texas. If I do find one, I am still getting her out of Texas but at least I know she is in a place that is "safe" to consider it longish term stay.
This is making no sense to me. Stop focusing on out of the state. Get that disability application done FIRST and foremost (except for this appt you have - keep that). It can come VERY FAST. It did for my brother because the medical evidence was so clear-cut.

You don't have to gather medical records yourself - they do it. You only provide the Dr/hospital information and she signs permission for SSA to gather the docs on her behalf.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Yes but she's a permanent resident and Texas's requirement for non-citizens is the part that is making everything complicated. There is no alternative for non-citizen permanent residents that need 24 hour care but can't get medicaid.
Now that she is back in the hospital I don't see what they can do. They said about my brother they wouldn't keep him w/o paying but what were they going to do? Roll him out into the street?

Get that app in because they do all the gathering and let them (SSA) be working on that while you deal with the present.

Just keep telling them the application for SSI and Medicaid is being processed, and keep that legal aid appt.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Now I am more overwhelmed now. I can't relax everyone. She is in a hospital which is not a long term care center, how can I just relax and do something that might take months or years. I refuse to care for her. I have my own problems and depression to deal with so I am not going to endlessly ask for help on how to care for her. She has only one friend and I don't think she is willing to go the lengths of what I want to do to take care of this. the APS caseworker says to apply for SSDI for her. For that I'll need to know where the 20 credits came from. That five years worth of work out of over 30 years? that doesn't make sense but the problem is I don't have any proof of check stubs only tax documents from few years and a document from 1999 stating that she has enough credits to get retirement and disability benefits (by then she had already worked in the united states for 17 years). If those documents won't be enough to find more credits then I'll have to get an elder care lawyer from Minnesota and see if they can help me out. I just cannot handle financially getting a social security or disablity lawyer and an elder care lawyer. My main issue is the length of stay the hospital is willing to keep her in. I am just dealing with this all alone. There is absolutely no family member or church member or any support. I am tired of repeating that statement. Sorry if I come off as bitter but I having so much to deal with and the people I am speaking to are treating this as if I am asking how to build a gingerbread house or something.
but just get the application in for now. so they can start. It is their job to gather her work records and her medical records so let them get that going!

If she can't ambulate she is surely going to be approved quickly. (For SSI, if you want to fight for SSDI do that later, take the SSI and medicaid for now.)

Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Oh good grief! I didn't know that.
https://secure.ssa.gov/mySSA/

It takes only a few minutes to do.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I was going to go tomorrow. I spent most of the day filling out SSDI application and now I was also going to request medical records for her this week. Now everything is disrupted again.
you don't get the records. SSA does. all you do is provide the names of Drs and Hospitals and they gather the records. There is no reason for this to take more than a couple hours at most just google the info if you don't remember it for the Drs and hospitals and nursing homes she's been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving