Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 09:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Ok, if you can get her to a Medicaid state and have her determined disabled by SSA then you can get paid to care for her in the home or you can hire aides. In NY, it's called cdpap and it's pretty much in every state but may go by a different name. I'm guessing the blue states will provide more help.
The only other option I can think of is basically signing her over to the state. The hospital social worker really shouldn't have left you in the wind. You're obviously not the only person with immigration issues they've seen in Texas.
but the person needs to work and cant do a person who needs way much help than they may do.

I was to provide 24 care for my mom and never leave the house under there elder care neglect rule.

some rules are silly, so may I go out to get snow away NO, may I get food No may I myself go a doctor No-

she did go to a nursing home on private pay for less than one year-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 5,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
to give a brief for those notice the two links I linked on my initial post, my mother had a stroke and is unable to care for herself at all. She was denied medicaid because she is a permanent resident but didn't get 40 credit hours. They know that she has been in this country for over 30 years and paying taxes. She even married in the united states (though not to a US citizen). that wasn't enough to change their decision. she has very low income so she can't qualify for benefits in Texas. I did everything people have mentioned on here. I really want to give up but then I can't...
If she was here before 1996 she should qualify for medicaid in Texas without having 40 quarters of work.

I can't post a link so you will have to copy and paste this, but it might help clarify the situation: [url]http://tinyurl.com/jnepqcw[/url]

Call legal aid in the County she is in, they will help you, it's their job. In the County there should also be a process for getting her a legal guardian who will manage her legal affairs and ensure that she is placed in a hospital or home appropriate for her condition. As her adult child you are not liable for providing care for her.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:20 PM

6 posts, read 5,344 times
Quote:
Well the hospital has discharged her and I can't take care of my mother. The adult protection services people, hospital, and the nursing home people keep mentioning how they are going to send her to a homeless shelter. She can't do anything on her own other than talk and eat. she can't stand, walk, bathe. She can move arms and legs but that is the best those limbs can do. I keep having people say to simply move to a two bedroom apartment, we'll send you medical equipment. Even with that, I can't afford to hire a full time caregiver and I can't lift her around.
Wow! That's patient dumping! Call the local media and start getting someone to pay attention to this situation, if she's not well enough to be discharged to a homeless shelter they can get it serious trouble for doing this, you might even want to call an attorney and see if they will start a lawsuit, if they think there will be a settlement they should take the case on retainer (they would be paid out of the award)

Old 01-25-2017, 07:10 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
You should talk to a lawyer in Texas first.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:47 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompl View Post
Wow! That's patient dumping! Call the local media and start getting someone to pay attention to this situation, if she's not well enough to be discharged to a homeless shelter they can get it serious trouble for doing this, you might even want to call an attorney and see if they will start a lawsuit, if they think there will be a settlement they should take the case on retainer (they would be paid out of the award)
If she goes through rehab while at the hospital, it's possible she would be well enough in a month or two to go to a shelter or even home with her son/daughter. That might be worth following up on. It would be in the hospital's best interests to arrange for home help. Meanwhile, there would be continued efforts to get her SSI/SSDI and/or move her where she would qualify for Medicaid.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is sad - what the USA has come to while, at the same time, we have Starbucks and Burger King in the Green Zone in Bagdad......

The wealthiest country in the world and we cannot take basic care of our own citizens.

Sorry - but praying won't do it. Meditating won't do it. People must fight to have health care become a basic right in this country and to start spending our money on ourselves as opposed to occupying the known world.
It's unfortunate but it's also a case of someone failing to take responsibility for their own life. She's been here decades.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:14 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
The woman in question is not a citizen, that's a big part of the problem. I don't know where to draw that line of who we take care of who we don't. I mean if people start coming here from scores of countries to get free health care here, is that a good idea? Should health care be limited to citizens? Or y'all come and we'll take care of you? Do people have some responsibility to pay for health insurance? Or should the rest of us always pay for everyone?

Did the US government put in Starbucks and Burger King in the Green Zone? Sounds like private industry to me but I could be wrong
"give me your tired, your poor"
Sounds a lot like Sears' "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" look how well that's worked out for them.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
It's unfortunate but it's also a case of someone failing to take responsibility for their own life. She's been here decades.
Yes. If you want access to benefits of being a citizen then become a citizen. If you can't become a citizen then you shouldn't be here. I wouldn't move to a country in Africa and expect their government to take care of me just because I'm there

Old 01-25-2017, 02:15 PM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
Ok everyone. The fact that she never became a citizen is not my fault. I asked for help and suggestions. If you want to offer criticism and not help, don't answer here.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Ok everyone. The fact that she never became a citizen is not my fault. I asked for help and suggestions. If you want to offer criticism and not help, don't answer here.
OP you dont need to let those posts bother you. Ignore them. It's natural, I think, for folks to get their hackles up a bit when the issue of providing care for non-citizens rears its head. Surely you understand that. Right? One could even ask, where were you all these years and why would you not see this coming? But there isn't much point in asking that now.

So just nod your head, say yeah I wish she had taken care of that, and then move on. You are in a rough spot, but I am sure there are plenty others out there that have had to deal with this. Too bad there are no other family members to pitch in on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving