Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 06:34 PM

167 posts, read 189,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
but just get the application in for now. so they can start. It is their job to gather her work records and her medical records so let them get that going!

If she can't ambulate she is surely going to be approved quickly. (For SSI, if you want to fight for SSDI do that later, take the SSI and medicaid for now.)
So only provide information for the hospital she's been into contact with because that's all I know and have? I don't have details on the doctors that worked on her. I only have one medical information that has a list of medical diagnosis she has and the name of one physician and location and phone number but that was one physician. I don't know the details such as tests performed and lists of medications and other doctor notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
https://secure.ssa.gov/mySSA/

It takes only a few minutes to do.
Yes this is ridiculous. they probably would have approved her for SSI if the application had simply been filled out and sent when OP started posting here.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
So only provide information for the hospital she's been into contact with because that's all I know and have? I don't have details on the doctors that worked on her. I only have one medical information that has a list of medical diagnosis she has and the name of one physician and location and phone number but that was one physician. I don't know the details such as tests performed and lists of medications and other doctor notes.
Send in the application with whatever you have right now, starting with the current hospital she is in and whatever else you know or can google to put down now and get that mother sent in so it starts processing. Then later add information to send in as you are able to get it!

Old 01-23-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know the details such as tests performed and lists of medications and other doctor notes.
which is why you just give them the name of the dr and contact info and address and THEY get those records.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 PM

What many may not understand about SSI and SSDI is that it's not for the person's Drs to prove she is disabled. the SSA Drs look at the records and decide for themselves if they think she is disabled.

My brother got it instantly due to MS being so obvious. Other people have less obvious disabilities and have to fight.

But the first step is to get it started. Every day that goes by w/o them working on the application is a day wasted.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This is making no sense to me. Stop focusing on out of the state. Get that disability application done FIRST and foremost (except for this appt you have - keep that). It can come VERY FAST. It did for my brother because the medical evidence was so clear-cut.

You don't have to gather medical records yourself - they do it. You only provide the Dr/hospital information and she signs permission for SSA to gather the docs on her behalf.
My husband was approved for SSD in just under two years and his doctors were absolutely shocked at how fast he was approved. One of the people that we were working with at SS, a clerk, said that she had "rarely seen someone approved that quickly unless they had a fatal illness". Now, this was several years ago and it appears that the timeline may have improved dramatically in recent years.

I made a quick Google search and the government now has several ways of "fast tracking" applications for serious disabilities like your Mother's problems. And, as many as 1/3 of the claims are approved on the very first try, after only 30 to 90 days. That is great news for your mother and for you.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 PM

ok. I submitted the application. i'm still going to ask for medical records just in case and I will also need her signature. I hope the hospital doesn't think I am there to discharge her when I am there to get a signature for her social security.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
ok. I submitted the application. i'm still going to ask for medical records just in case and I will also need her signature. I hope the hospital doesn't think I am there to discharge her when I am there to get a signature for her social security.
Please tell me you applied for SSI *and* SSDI? And just stand firm. Do NOT take her out. If they roll her into the street call the media I am 100% serious about that.

Tell them her medicaid application is pending (because it is, if you applied for SSI that comes with it) and thank them kindly for caring for your mother and that Medicaid will be paying them soon and thanks again! Seriously just be firm but polite and sweet!

Old 01-23-2017, 08:00 PM

I'm going to contact SSA because there is one application that you can apply online and another you can't apply online for. I'm not sure if the online one is for SSDI or SSI. The information I used on one I can use for the other. But yes, I know i'll get more calls tomorrow about discharges. These social workers will soon start to behave like bill collectors. If they put her on the street, there is a likely hood that they think that I don't "care" and will not even bother telling me where they put her...

Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 PM

687 posts, read 637,790 times
You might mention to the social workers that you are contacting a lawyer and will also be contacting the media. You are unable to care for her and their guilt-tripping will not change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving