Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I'm going to contact SSA because there is one application that you can apply online and another you can't apply online for. I'm not sure if the online one is for SSDI or SSI. The information I used on one I can use for the other. But yes, I know i'll get more calls tomorrow about discharges. These social workers will soon start to behave like bill collectors. If they put her on the street, there is a likely hood that they think that I don't "care" and will not even bother telling me where they put her...
ok please make sure you apply for both. In fact a family member that absolutely had more than enough work credits, the paper form made her apply for both and she got SSI money sooner for some reason and then that was deducted from SSDI money when that was approved. I think SSI might move faster, but even if it doesn't w/o enough work credits that is what your mother might be eligible for so you want both for SURE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Also SSDI comes with medicare not medicaid necessarily and it doesn't take effect for two years and mediCAID is what y'all need ......

Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,195,717 times
In certain situations, Medicare is almost as immediate as SSD. I'm not sure what illnesses get this fast track, but it should be on the SSA website somewhere.
Note that SSD is for illnesses that are predicted to be permanent.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
In certain situations, Medicare is almost as immediate as SSD. I'm not sure what illnesses get this fast track, but it should be on the SSA website somewhere.
Only if the disability is determined to have started 2 years before approval. There are no circumstances under which it is fast tracked.

SSDI is for conditions expected to last at least a year or result in death.

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityfacts/facts.html

Old 01-24-2017, 07:00 AM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I'm so sorry you are under this extreme pressure, especially from the hospital right now. I'd encourage you to ignore the hospital reps. right now, just keep saying No to the possibility of her release into your care. To me, the fact that they are pressuring you is a sign that without your say-so, they can't do it.

I think YOU need a legal advocate, to know the extent of your legal responsibility towards making arrangements for her future. That could go a long way towards shutting down the pressure extended from the hospital admin. right now. So it's important for you to keep tomorrow's appointment.

Here are some web sites which could be helpful down the road. But the important thing is tomorrow's appointment. Don't get side-tracked from this!

https://www.theseniorsource.org

HOME - JUSTICE IN AGING

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/h...cal_bills.html
I have a large list of numbers I can call from the third link you posted. At least someone from those links can help me out right now. I know I am going to get another call from the social worker and she is probably going to push me harder to get me to discharge her or make me feel like crap. I am not responsible for my mother as there is no state law nor is there a paper that I signed that says I am financially responsible for her. I never say I was responsible for her. Sorry I am thinking out loud. I am going to leave to speak to the immigration lawyer from the catholic charities location. It sucks that on top of making these phone calls: one for social security, finish sending documents for SSI/SSDI application, and call the many organizations found on the third link. I also have work and I don't want to want to look like I am not doing any work. And on top of that I am given huge pressure as I don't have a lot of time left and I have to find something.

All of the stress gave me an unfortunate belly ache and extreme nervousness.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:40 AM

2,272 posts, read 1,666,238 times
If the social worker calls, let it go to voicemail. You could text back and indicate you were in a meeting with a LAWYER to represent your mother. Do not miss that meeting and bring all your copies of applications and information you have from your mother's government records.

Social workers sadly are under extreme pressure these days to discharge patients ASAP due to hospital costs. Another poster was correct to indicate to the hospital that applications are being filed and will be processed. Be sure your mother knows not to sign discharge papers herself! I have seen that trick used on barely cognizant people.

I think once you get the ball rolling with the applications and lawyer you will feel more in control and less overwhelmed. Being in a state of uncertainty is very upsetting. Action is called for and now you should get help with your meeting today.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM

738 posts, read 585,064 times
Tough.

I served. with my ex GF, as primary caregiver to her dying mom. Her body was a joke, they were cutting her legs off by inches because of diabetes. But she never complained.

Finest woman I ever knew. I'm counting on her to put in a good word for me with the Lord on Judgment day.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
Hello,

I just returned from the consultation. Unfortunately, since my situation didn't involve immigration as in the process to change one's status to permanent resident or natural citizen, the lawyer there couldn't help me but she referred me to another lady to help me out. She was not a lawyer but I told her my problem and my inability to care for my mother. She mentioned that it was the hospital's job to discharge a patient where they will receive help and not end up in a situation that will send them back to the hospital due to lack of care. Her advice was to keep advocating and continue to refuse to discharge her under my care. She will help and call around and also file another APS case on my behalf so that they become more aware of my mother situation. (she knows that I have an APS case on her but the current caseworkers ran out of options too). I feel some relief now. Next up is i'm going to continue to call some more businesses, mostly US federal and charity based since I am done with the state level bureaucracy help.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:09 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
You are referring to the Compassionate Allowances List. I checked the other day and there is nothing related to a stroke included on the list. Also, those conditions require an expedited temporary award of disability benefits, not Medicare.

https://www.ssa.gov/compassionateall...conditions.htm

Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I'm going to contact SSA because there is one application that you can apply online and another you can't apply online for. I'm not sure if the online one is for SSDI or SSI. The information I used on one I can use for the other. But yes, I know i'll get more calls tomorrow about discharges. These social workers will soon start to behave like bill collectors. If they put her on the street, there is a likely hood that they think that I don't "care" and will not even bother telling me where they put her...
You cannot apply for SSI online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving