Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 AM

167 posts, read 189,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh good grief. Take a tablet into the hospital, and show the site to your mom and help her create an account.
Oh good grief! I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
Hello:

I scanned your 2 original posts. I am sorry for your serious challenges re your elderly mom. I am in a very similar position, but my mom is not an immigrant. She also is not a permanent invalid, but becomes bed-ridden every 4 mos or so through one/some of her 5 diagnosed conditions. Am so glad to be a part of this forum. It is sobering and heartening to learn of the struggles of other caregivers, some in worse positions, and some not as devastating.

Have a question. Of the 6 states that you identified for better Medicaid, and other aid programs, was TN one of them? We currently live in FL (for past 20 yrs), but are from middle TN. I am planning to relocate, and East TN is my choice.

Thanks for taking time to answer.
I didn't really look into Tennessee because there seems to be a pattern that south eastern states tend to have lower quality medicaid than states that are up north or towards the west. All of those states that I listed expanded their medicaid. Tennessee wasn't one of those states that expanded but that doesn't mean that their medicaid is any worse or better. It is just eligibility is easier for those states that expanded. You may have to look into the state to see if the state had any history of cutting funding for healthcare or has plans to continue doing so.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I haven't received any responses yet other than one whose response was: "Thanks for your inquiry. I am sorry I can’t assist you with your case issues.". I guess since she is not old enough and is not protecting her finances, and elder lawyer won't be any help. I am currently filling out the social security disability application online. I am going to a catholic charities consultation immigrant lawyer tomorrow and see if I can get any help. I am slowly running out of things to do. It seems right now my planning is scattered and not organized because I am dealing with this without any guidance and because of that I don't think this out of state thing is going to work out. I'll see what happens after tomorrow. It seems there is no way out. I even contacted a county caseworker to help plan this but I am on a 2-3 week waiting list with the caseworker.
I'm glad things have started moving for you. I hope the lawyer there can give you useful advice, but if they don't, ask them for a referral to another appropriate place for you. Filling out the Soc Sec application fully, in great detail, is very helpful in getting it approved. Include all the doctors who see her.

If you go out of state, you need to also consider which states will maintain support if the federal govt changes the rules to reduce care.

I think you are doing a good job in an extremely difficult situation.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Bad news everyone. The hospital wants to discharge her again. Now the caseworker is trying everything in her power to get me to take her back unless I pay for her stay. I can't pay for her stay. She is accusing me saying that "I don't care" and that I am responsible for her. There is no legal law in Texas that says that I am "responsible" for her. Maybe for parents to children but not for children to parents. Saying that I can't take care of her means that I don't care. This is nonsense, for people that are US citizens, this is a process that is easy for them and she talks about if she was in my position she would take care of her mother. Of course lady, your mother is an american citizen. Getting medicaid will be 10x easier for you. People attempt to imagine being in my situation but they all leave out the "immigrant" part out. I told her that what does she do to patients that don't have a home and are handicapped. She couldn't come up with a situation for me because my mother is not "documented". To her definition documented means US citizen.

It looks like they want to put her in a homeless shelter. Are hospitals allowed to sue people for refusal to take in patient or pay for stay?

Old 01-23-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Bad news everyone. The hospital wants to discharge her again. Now the caseworker is trying everything in her power to get me to take her back unless I pay for her stay. I can't pay for her stay. She is accusing me saying that "I don't care" and that I am responsible for her. There is no legal law in Texas that says that I am "responsible" for her. Maybe for parents to children but not for children to parents. Saying that I can't take care of her means that I don't care. This is nonsense, for people that are US citizens, this is a process that is easy for them and she talks about if she was in my position she would take care of her mother. Of course lady, your mother is an american citizen. Getting medicaid will be 10x easier for you. People attempt to imagine being in my situation but they all leave out the "immigrant" part out. I told her that what does she do to patients that don't have a home and are handicapped. She couldn't come up with a situation for me because my mother is not "documented". To her definition documented means US citizen.

It looks like they want to put her in a homeless shelter. Are hospitals allowed to sue people for refusal to take in patient or pay for stay?
They are trying to guilt trip you. They don't want to have to keep her there without being paid.
When do you see the lawyer? I hope they can offer you some advice. Don't think of taking your Mom out of the hospital until you have spoken to the lawyer. I have to wonder if a homeless shelter would even accept someone in her condition.
Anyone with a legal visa and especially with a green card is documented.
What a sad mess!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
They are trying to guilt trip you. They don't want to have to keep her there without being paid.
When do you see the lawyer? I hope they can offer you some advice. Don't think of taking your Mom out of the hospital until you have spoken to the lawyer. I have to wonder if a homeless shelter would even accept someone in her condition.
Anyone with a legal visa and especially with a green card is documented.
What a sad mess!
I already contacted two senators in texas that represent the area I live. I don't have time for lawyers right now. I live in the state capitol, I can visit the offices of these senators if doing so on the phone isn't fast enough. I am running out of time. All I want is a few months so I can get her out of this state. I just knew this was going to happen. I don't know what is going to happen next. If I have to contact the senate office everyday then i'll have to. I"m tired of being ignored. I can't fall for it because if I do, she'll end up back in the hospital again.

Yes documented also applies to lawful immigrants so that kind of shows, she doesn't really know what she is talking about. I am so fed up with social workers. I guess the hospital never had immigrant patients before. She couldn't come up with a situation that involved indigent non-citizen patients....

There's got to be an alternative program somewhere in Texas that helps with poor disabled indigent people that were not able to get medicaid for some reason. If there was such a program and it exists in Lubbock or Dallas, I am more than willing to move her to those places. It doesn't have to be only Austin. Come on, Texas. If I do find one, I am still getting her out of Texas but at least I know she is in a place that is "safe" to consider it longish term stay.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM

I thought you told us you had an appointment with a Catholic Social Services lawyer today or tomorrow. Did you go to that, or cancel it?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I thought you told us you had an appointment with a Catholic Social Services lawyer today or tomorrow. Did you go to that, or cancel it?
I was going to go tomorrow. I spent most of the day filling out SSDI application and now I was also going to request medical records for her this week. Now everything is disrupted again.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
You need a lawyer.

They can't discharge her.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:

I am so sorry.

While I do not know the laws in your state, I would assume that they can not discharge your mother into your care if you are not physically there at the hospital to receive her (hint, hint, don't go to the hospital, call the social worker or other hospital staff on the phone). I would assume that the hospital must release her into a situation that does not jeopardize her health. Perhaps they have "specialty" homeless shelters for situations like your mother, maybe something like a cross between a nursing home and a typical homeless shelter. Ask about this.

BTW, I want to point out that while it may be "easier" it is certainly NOT easy for anyone to figure out and get SSD and Medicaid for themselves or a loved one. When I applied for my husband to get SSD it took me hundreds of hours of work plus several years before he was finally approved (and he had a very clear cut diagnosis, documented by several doctors as well as extensive, physical medical & laboratory evidence proving his disability). Ditto for people that I know who applied for Medicaid, I know many people where it took a full year or even longer (of course, it took others only a few months). So, do not assume that any of this is a slam-dunk for anyone. It is a long, difficult, complex journey for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving