Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times

Advertisements

Sfcambridge is right. She needs an eldercare lawyer. Your mom is in a situation where there are time pressures. A good lawyer can buy your mom time while he is working out the solution. The hospital will have the confidence that a situation will be resolved. They don't want to hear that you're doing research. They want to know what will be her disposition by a certain date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 AM

167 posts, read 189,564 times
ok then. that makes sense. I already contacted a couple eldercare lawyers in Minnesota and I'm going to contact some in Texas (just in case they have any ideas or if they mention that I should deal with this matter for the state I wish to go to).

Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Oh ****. I didn't know stuff like this actually happens often. so I'm not the only one. It looks like I am dealing with the same BS from Texas the lady in the article dealt with in florida. That lady must have a lot of support from family and other people for her story to reach CNN. It'll be extremely difficult to get that much support on my own. Texas is not that far from florida when it comes to crap medicaid quality.
Give them a call, they have more resources than you.
All they can say is no.
If you don't call you'll never know.they might be able to put you in touch with the proper authorities.

Also get in touch with you Congressman. Write them call them and get in touch with your local news station.
Do not give up call them everyday.

I was in a similar situation with a blind abandoned vet. Eventually I was helped.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Quote:
ok then. that makes sense. I already contacted a couple eldercare lawyers in Minnesota and I'm going to contact some in Texas (just in case they have any ideas or if they mention that I should deal with this matter for the state I wish to go to).
Very good plan.

Some lawyers will even give you an initial reduced fee consultation, or even free. But the best ones often do not.

Why not treat your depression NOW? All it takes is a visit....or even just a phone call...for your doctor to start a medicine.

Your depression is increasing your anxiety about the situation, interfering with your ability to concentrate, disrupting your sleep and energy, and clouds your ability think clearly, and it just feels......bad. You will be able to make better decisions, be more hopeful, and help your mother more when the cloud of depression is lifted.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
It sounds to me like the 1999 document saying she had qualified for SS and disability should be good enough. Do not lose it! Make copies for anyone you discuss it with.

Is your mother new to the area where she is living? Is it a big city or a small town? It seems like most expats have a community of people from their home country that they have at least some contact with. Does your mother have this? If so, ask them for assistance. Maybe there is a church or mosque frequented by people from her country which could help out. They may have ideas on how to handle this too.

I suggest taking the advice of those who say not to let the hospital discharge her to you. Do not show up to pick her up if they tell you to. I'm pretty sure there was a case in Calif. where hospitals got into big trouble for dumping poor patients into homeless shelters.
And don't make her your dependent. You don't have the means to support her.

Good luck. It's a complex situation for you to have deal with.

BTW I spent ten days over Christmas and New Years in a London hospital one year and never paid one cent for anything, even though I was not a citizen or a resident, just a tourist. Another year I had an emergency appendectomy in Switzerland and paid only a very trivial amount. The US policy is an exception to the general rule in the world. People who come here from other countries may not fully realize the implications of our healthcare policy.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:58 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is sad - what the USA has come to while, at the same time, we have Starbucks and Burger King in the Green Zone in Bagdad......

The wealthiest country in the world and we cannot take basic care of our own citizens.

Sorry - but praying won't do it. Meditating won't do it. People must fight to have health care become a basic right in this country and to start spending our money on ourselves as opposed to occupying the known world.
It is very sad and I hope that the OP can find a solution. But this kind of story will be heard from millions of people in the next few years, as our system of caring for older and disabled people is dismantled.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM

167 posts, read 189,564 times
Yes she is new to the town she is in but definitely not new to Texas. Where we are is Austin (I can't tell if austin is considered a small city or mid-sized city). I think there are expats but they are in houston as houston has a larger population and she has been living there the most. But my mother never became a part of any community of people in her home country recently but she was heavily involved in those back in the 90s and early 00s (probably in the 80s but I wasn't around) but not anymore and she lost contact with them.

The most common comment I've read is to refuse to let the hospital discharge her to my care. and they are doing that to intimidate or to bully me around. I've had a history of dealing with intimidating people and bulling so it didn't take much for me to give in sadly. It's nice to know that hospitals can get in trouble for discharging people that way.

As for the 1999 document, I plan on calling social security admin tomorrow morning (to avoid being on hold for an hour) and ask about this and to know how many work credits does she really have.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:41 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesunwater View Post
I am sorry some people have maqde some inotant posts.
Yes, permannet residents pay all the taxes and should ahve teh rights to service. It is not a 'free for all' lik some peole think. Seriously, they think things are best here and have not really seen the world through anything but a seuperior' perspective to understand what you are saying.
Having paid taxes for 30 years as a permanent resident, she should be eligible to services.
No, she wasn't. You need to reread the OP.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
I am not shooting them down. I am considering the idea of getting and eldercare lawyer. I am taking these things in account so take it easy. My depressive thoughts is getting in the way of making me think nothing will work but I am still trying to work hard at this anyways. I'm not going to seek help about my depression until I get all of this over with.
Trust me when I say this....everything you and your mom are facing, have been faced before by someone else. Multiple someone else's. An elder law attorney can cut through the mishegas and get things straightened out.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Trust me when I say this....everything you and your mom are facing, have been faced before by someone else. Multiple someone else's. An elder law attorney can cut through the mishegas and get things straightened out.
the issue is Mom has no money and not a nursing home will take her. the reason money Medicaid etc.

an elder attorney will not cut into what he can not and will send a bill- I had one who did just send me bills-I did all the paper work . My mom never did last long so the lawyer was a waste-

her doctor did more and cared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving