Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 10:45 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If the hospital refuses to keep the mother, but the OP refuses to take her then wouldn't the hospital transfer the mother to a county hospital that is paid for by the tax payers? Wondering if anyone out there has had this experience? The hospital legally can't make the OP take the mother home and they legally can't put her on the street, so what happens then??

They told OP they would take her to a homeless shelter

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-27-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 AM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
Quote:
If the hospital refuses to keep the mother, but the OP refuses to take her then wouldn't the hospital transfer the mother to a county hospital that is paid for by the tax payers? Wondering if anyone out there has had this experience? The hospital legally can't make the OP take the mother home and they legally can't put her on the street, so what happens then??[/quote

They told OP they would take her to a homeless shelter
People have told me that they use that tactic to make me feel guilty and intimidate me to make me think that I am and should be responsible for her and I should be ashamed for "not caring". Even though it is the hospital's job to make sure that who ever or where ever they discharge the patient to would not harm or endanger the patient. If there are not options, they should be helping out on finding solutions. It's the reality, if I can't take care of her and I gave them reasons. They should not continue to pressure the person.

After all of this, I just don't trust social workers. This is the third one I have dealt with and I have been doing all of the work while all they do is stand around and smile. I'm sure not all social workers are like this and some probably do more help than what their job description says.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-27-2017 at 10:31 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
So, have you filed an appeal?
I've contacted Disability Rights Texas (a program in Texas) to file a case yesterday. They handle healthcare related matters and issues for the disabled. By next week I should be in contact with an attorney to know if my case is appropriate (it should) and continue on from there.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:17 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
You are making excellent progress. Keep it up Buzzy.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:46 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
How long has your mother been at the hospital? I ask because if your mother can be released because the hospital feels she can be (because there's no other treatment they can give) and you are the only relative they know of that can take her, they will continue to bug you. If you do not take her at some point the hospital will transfer her to either a county hospital or a homeless shelter as they can't keep her just because she has no where to go and be care for. Regular hospitals don't work that way. Especially if they are not sure if they will be paid or not. I would ask them what they will do so you know.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-27-2017 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:

How long has your mother been at the hospital? I ask because if your mother can be released because the hospital feels she can be (because there's no other treatment they can give) and you are the only relative they know of that can take her, they will continue to bug you. If you do not take her at some point the hospital will transfer her to either a county hospital or a homeless shelter as they can't keep her just because she has no where to go and be care for. Regular hospitals don't work that way. Especially if they are not sure if they will be paid or not. I would ask them what they will do so you know.
My mother has been there since last saturday. My mother does need 24 hour care as she had a stroke. But because they don't see anything she has that needs medical attention, they feel she doesn't really need to be there. They know that she can't be placed in a homeless shelter. I told them to get her on medicaid emergency (the only form of medicaid she can get) or get her on a program that I told the social worker about that gives help to low income people that couldn't get medicaid. Both should help with her hospital stay.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-27-2017 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 01:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post

My mother has been there since last saturday. My mother does need 24 hour care as she had a stroke. But because they don't see anything she has that needs medical attention, they feel she doesn't really need to be there. They know that she can't be placed in a homeless shelter. I told them to get her on medicaid emergency (the only form of medicaid she can get) or get her on a program that I told the social worker about that gives help to low income people that couldn't get medicaid. Both should help with her hospital stay.
Ummmm their job is to help YOU get it for her. She is YOUR mother, not theirs.

If there is nothing you can or are willling to do further... stop visiting her then! Then they will be forced to deal with her issues. Standing around complaining at the staff isnt helping you.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Ummmm their job is to help YOU get it for her. She is YOUR mother, not theirs.

If there is nothing you can or are willling to do further... stop visiting her then! Then they will be forced to deal with her issues. Standing around complaining at the staff isnt helping you.
It is clear that you don't really understand all the things I am doing further. Considering that the program told me to talk to the social worker for help on getting her on the thing. Take it easy on your hostility.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:54 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
I've contacted Disability Rights Texas (a program in Texas) to file a case yesterday. They handle healthcare related matters and issues for the disabled. By next week I should be in contact with an attorney to know if my case is appropriate (it should) and continue on from there.
You need to reread the notice of denial. If you need to file an appeal, your time may be running out.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:17 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
I already submitted the application, i'm just going to get my mother's signature tomorrow and that's it.

I know it's overwhelming to not know what direction to go in. I hope her SSI and medicaid is approved very fast.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving