Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 03:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Ummmm their job is to help YOU get it for her. She is YOUR mother, not theirs.

If there is nothing you can or are willling to do further... stop visiting her then! Then they will be forced to deal with her issues. Standing around complaining at the staff isnt helping you.
Really? Then why are there people paid specifically to know about all the programs and procedures to help people with?

My family is active in helping my brother but it's the social worker who knows the Medicare/Medicaid laws and such. She is the one that can tell him how to get extended time and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 03:31 PM

167 posts, read 189,613 times
The denial was around November. I have 90 days from the date. In other words, I have until the end of February. Unfortunately that is running out of time. During this entire time I did alot of research and work to find a place for my mother so I was not just sitting on this. No criticisms please. I am probably better off to reapplying for her since she is no longer in the nursing home (the facility wasn't that good overall) instead of submitting the appeal almost near deadline. I already filed a case through Disability Rights Texas to contact an attorney for appeal but on top of that i'll probably find a medicaid specialized lawyer (and a good one) just to initially apply.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Really? Then why are there people paid specifically to know about all the programs and procedures to help people with?

My family is active in helping my brother but it's the social worker who knows the Medicare/Medicaid laws and such. She is the one that can tell him how to get extended time and so forth.
I agree with this ^^^. It is the JOB of the hospital social workers to offer help and guidance on the type of care needed and what facilities are appropriate for placement for each patient they are discharging. These social workers currently are under tremendous pressure to move patients out ASAP for the bottom line. I know some of them and the stress is high under conditions in hospitals today.

They should be very well versed on programs for the indigent and I am surprised (or maybe not) that these social workers are not more help. Personally I would speak with the department head if you continue to receive little help - if he or she is unaware of these programs for the disabled, immigrant or not, that would be disgraceful.

It is encouraging that they have finally gotten the message that this patient cannot be released to her daughter. That was the path of the least resistance and quick release for them so of course they tried the guilt trip.

BTW, your mother should be receiving both physical and perhaps occupational therapy every day, or at least on a fixed schedule. If not, question why not as it should be required by the doctors who see her.

OP, you are headed in the right direction so please don't get discouraged. Be very careful you do not miss any appeal deadlines. Write all your questions down and ask questions. Best part of luck to you.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Fact: OP Can't lift her mother.
Fact: OP's mother can't dress, move or toilet herself.
Fact: OP has to pay for rent and groceries, and therefore must work.
Fact: Hospitals, etc, keep trying to force her to take her mother home.
Fact: Her mother can't be left alone.

It isn't that she doesn't want to hassle with it, its that she's being treated by these hospitals as having nursing skills that she doesn't have, and resources she doesn't have.
Do you think the OP is the only one who has dealt with some of these issues? I know others on here have, as well as myself.

When I see a comment like "I'm just her daughter", well yes you are, and unless you had an abusive parent you do what you can.

Look, she is her 20s apparently, that's tough, most of us were middle aged before we have to deal with health issues regarding our parents.

The hospital can't force you to do anything, maybe the OP due to her age doesn't want to speak up. I know from my own experience you go up the chain of command. Most people don't know this but you can delay a hospital release. I know many of them try to discharge, but you have to very clear as to what you can and cannot do.

I had a doctor one time try to send my mother home and suggested a Hoyer Lift and myself and my elderly father(who was also in decline) could manage(no way in hell), I refused and she went to rehab for about 6 weeks, again you have to speak up and know and research patient rights. And if you can't get help, go over their heads and get loud.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Do you think the OP is the only one who has dealt with some of these issues? I know others on here have, as well as myself.
So what? What does that have to do with ANYTHING here?

Quote:
When I see a comment like "I'm just her daughter", well yes you are, and unless you had an abusive parent you do what you can.

Look, she is her 20s apparently, that's tough, most of us were middle aged before we have to deal with health issues regarding our parents.

The hospital can't force you to do anything, maybe the OP due to her age doesn't want to speak up. I know from my own experience you go up the chain of command. Most people don't know this but you can delay a hospital release. I know many of them try to discharge, but you have to very clear as to what you can and cannot do.

I had a doctor one time try to send my mother home and suggested a Hoyer Lift and myself and my elderly father(who was also in decline) could manage(no way in hell), I refused and she went to rehab for about 6 weeks, again you have to speak up and know and research patient rights. And if you can't get help, go over their heads and get loud.

I think it's pretty evident she IS doing "what she can".

Old 01-28-2017, 07:41 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Ummmm their job is to help YOU get it for her. She is YOUR mother, not theirs.

If there is nothing you can or are willling to do further... stop visiting her then! Then they will be forced to deal with her issues. Standing around complaining at the staff isnt helping you.
I'm afraid this is right...it's really unfair to blame this on the social workers'. Applying for these programs is time and labor intensive and not the job of a social worker in an acute care setting. They are employees and their hands are tied (it kind of makes me mad when people lower on the totem pole get blamed for rule their CEO's set).

I understand your frustration OP and I think it's awful what's happening to your mom...again I hope people will realize that if you want a state with very low taxes, there's also going to be very few and/or very poor social services and help for the indigent available in that state.

OP you are doing a great job, but an acute care hospital is not going to be allowed to just let her stay indefinitely, and it's not up to the social workers or doctors or nurses. I think you need to rely on help outside the hospital just as you are doing. But it really is unfair to blame employees who are constrained by their state and their employers rules in what they are really able to do in this case.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:

There is no rehab anywhere that will take OP's mom with no payment source. Your mom had either Medicare or Medicaid eligibility, if she hadn't had either, I guarantee she wouldn't have gotten into a rehab no matter how loud you screamed.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:14 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Same with lawyers. She hasn't gotten much help from them so far either. The ones handling the indigent are probably swamped. They had an Alzheimer's special on the other night and the people handling the calls from relatives said they were flooded with calls.

Research will come across dead ends. Unfortunately, finding good professional help is no different.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Same with lawyers. She hasn't gotten much help from them so far either. The ones handling the indigent are probably swamped. They had an Alzheimer's special on the other night and the people handling the calls from relatives said they were flooded with calls.

Research will come across dead ends. Unfortunately, finding good professional help is no different.
And it's going to get much worse, with new, harsh attitudes toward immigrants who aren't citizens, and Federal funding for the agencies that do help is going to dry up totally. I hope OP you will take this anger beyond the hospital social workers, because this is reflective of the political times, and of the top, and change will only come from the top down.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:16 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And it's going to get much worse, with new, harsh attitudes toward immigrants who aren't citizens, and Federal funding for the agencies that do help is going to dry up totally. I hope OP you will take this anger beyond the hospital social workers, because this is reflective of the political times, and of the top, and change will only come from the top down.
I agree.

I do not want to start a political argument but ALL of the caseworkers and agencies that I have recently worked with, that provide services for the disabled and the disabled elderly, are extremely, extremely worried about drastic funding cuts or even entire programs such as Medicaid being completely eliminated.

We will have to see what happens.

Good luck to the OP and his mother. Good luck to all of us in similar situations.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-28-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving