Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Good point.
OP's mother has been here and in the workforce for decades now, the person who sponsored her might not even be alive now. Does that last forever and ever even though the person (OP's mom) has been granted permanent resident status? I would think once she was granted that, there was no sponsorship involved anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 AM

167 posts, read 189,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP's mother has been here and in the workforce for decades now, the person who sponsored her might not even be alive now. Does that last forever and ever even though the person (OP's mom) has been granted permanent resident status? I would think once she was granted that, there was no sponsorship involved anymore.
I was told by her lawyer that she didn't need a financial sponsor because she had been living and working in this country long enough and obtained more than 40 credits. If she did need to sign one, the sponsor will no longer have responsibility when the immigrant: either has become a US citizen, has at least 40 work credits or dies. Since my mother already had 40 work credits she didn't need one. She needed a family sponsor but that is to show proof that that the person that she is related to is a US citizen.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Am I better off making my mother, the ward of the state? I wanted to, in case I move to another state, bring her to that state with me but she won't be eligible for medicaid no matter where she goes because she won't meet the "state residency" requirement. She will still be a resident of texas because she is a ward of the state. If I move to a state like oregon or something, I don't want to keep traveling back to texas just to meet her so I thought bringing her with me will be easier but it seems like this would be the only option for me. I don't know where people who are a ward of the state end up in. I know she'll be the responsiblity for the state and they'll have to place her in some nursing home environment but I don't want the state to place her in some poorly run crazy house or something for "unwanted people".

Old 02-07-2017, 11:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I actually found a place for her. It was from one facility that one commenter on here mentioned. I am waiting to hear back from there to see if they will take her. I haven't heard from them since friday.

update: nevermind, I just found out that she was rejected for not being homeless even though she doesn't have an address and doesn't live with me. I guess everything I mentioned was never put into consideration. I wonder how long people will continue to spit on my face. Now I'm back to square one again. At this point, the only thing that is good for me and my mother is if she dies. I know this entire ordeal will come to an end. I know, it sounds morbid and almost selfish but at this point I really don't give a damn. I was hoping to share some good news today but long behold, I am let down once again.
I am so sorry that you did not receive good news.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Am I better off making my mother, the ward of the state? I wanted to, in case I move to another state, bring her to that state with me but she won't be eligible for medicaid no matter where she goes because she won't meet the "state residency" requirement. She will still be a resident of texas because she is a ward of the state. If I move to a state like oregon or something, I don't want to keep traveling back to texas just to meet her so I thought bringing her with me will be easier but it seems like this would be the only option for me. I don't know where people who are a ward of the state end up in. I know she'll be the responsiblity for the state and they'll have to place her in some nursing home environment

but I don't want the state to place her in some poorly run crazy house or something for "unwanted people".

I hate to burst your bubble, but unfortunately, even people who are US citizens, born in the USA & worked in the USA for 40 years, sometimes end up in a "poorly ran crazy house" or a place for "unwanted people".

To my knowledge there are not any "special places" just for wards of the state (at least right now, at least in my state). But, it may be very different in Texas.

Yes, you and your mother are having complications because of other issues, but your basic problem (finding a place to take your mother) is a lot more common than you probably realize.

I am sorry, but we can't always get what we want to get. Just keep on trying your best to help your mother. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:53 AM

All I want to do is get a lawyer to give her medicaid but the process will be lengthy and I want to know where she can be in the short term while I try to get her on medicaid. But since that alone is difficult. I'm probably better off having the adult protection services claim her guardianship.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:32 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,644 times
Don't give up on the place that rejected her. Go up the chain of command and see if you can meet with someone. If that doesn't work go to the media and see if the negative publicity will force their hand. How can she not be considered homeless if you are unable to have her living with you? I wouldn't just let this place reject her without a fight. It sounds like your best and possibly only option. You are giving up too easily on it.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Don't give up on the place that rejected her. Go up the chain of command and see if you can meet with someone. If that doesn't work go to the media and see if the negative publicity will force their hand. How can she not be considered homeless if you are unable to have her living with you? I wouldn't just let this place reject her without a fight. It sounds like your best and possibly only option. You are giving up too easily on it.
I did but they see that because of her medical state, she would be considered long term and the facility only does short term care....

Old 02-07-2017, 01:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
It sounds like she meets the HUD qualifications for homelessness. She's to be discharged from an institution, where she's been residing for 30 days or more, and she doesn't have have the resources to provide her own housing or family that will take her in. The expired Houston apartment rental contract, the canceled Austin apartment lease agreement, and the hospital admission records should show that she hadn't established a home when she was stricken. Your mom is supposed to certify that she is homeless. Perhaps, the hospital caseworker can do this if you can show her that this place can take your mother in and give her the appropriate treatment.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It sounds like she meets the HUD qualifications for homelessness. She's to be discharged from an institution, where she's been residing for 30 days or more, and she doesn't have have the resources to provide her own housing or family that will take her in. The expired Houston apartment rental contract, the canceled Austin apartment lease agreement, and the hospital admission records should show that she hadn't established a home when she was stricken. Your mom is supposed to certify that she is homeless. Perhaps, the hospital caseworker can do this if you can show her that this place can take your mother in and give her the appropriate treatment.
the main issue is she doesn't meet the medical requirements. while I can fight the austin residency and homelessness but I can't fight the fact that her care requires long term care and they only provide short term care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving