Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times

Advertisements

OP, good luck with your meetings. You sound like a young person who is trying his/her best to help your mom out under very difficult circumstances. Circumstances of her making (other than the stroke) not yours.

If your meetings do not work:

Do suggest you try religious charities for any aid and assistance (however temporary) to get you through until you find permanent solutions. These organizations can at least refer you in possible directions which is more than you are getting from professional caseworkers. This is what churches do. and I was never turned down by Salvation Army for emergency help for my clients. Catholic and Lutheran Charities are well known for their work and Samaritan's ____ is everywhere in the international community.

Lenora would know better since she is a lawyer, I believe, but maybe it would help for you to talk with a tax attorney to set yourself up as head of household etc and that might help your situation?

It may be that your last resort will be what many of us have done: get an apartment that will work, keep your mom with you, and do your best. Work and hire a neighbor to come in at lunch to help Mom up and about then you take over when you get home. In the end it all comes down to family.

Sorry, government aid may not be in the cards for your Mom and that only leaves private/church charities and family. This is just my final grasping straws and uninformed opinion only. Hopefully your meetings go well and you get some establishment help.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP, good luck with your meetings. You sound like a young person who is trying his/her best to help your mom out under very difficult circumstances. Circumstances of her making (other than the stroke) not yours.

If your meetings do not work:

Do suggest you try religious charities for any aid and assistance (however temporary) to get you through until you find permanent solutions. These organizations can at least refer you in possible directions which is more than you are getting from professional caseworkers. This is what churches do. and I was never turned down by Salvation Army for emergency help for my clients. Catholic and Lutheran Charities are well known for their work and Samaritan's ____ is everywhere in the international community.

Lenora would know better since she is a lawyer, I believe, but maybe it would help for you to talk with a tax attorney to set yourself up as head of household etc and that might help your situation?

It may be that your last resort will be what many of us have done: get an apartment that will work, keep your mom with you, and do your best. Work and hire a neighbor to come in at lunch to help Mom up and about then you take over when you get home. In the end it all comes down to family.

Sorry, government aid may not be in the cards for your Mom and that only leaves private/church charities and family. This is just my final grasping straws and uninformed opinion only. Hopefully your meetings go well and you get some establishment help.

Good luck
I hadn't taken note of her age. My understanding of ACA however is if you are very low income, they refer you to Medicaid versus the exchanges (and some states, especially many conservative states, chose not to cooperate with the Medicaid expansion afforded by the ACA) If she doesn't qualify for Medicaid due to residency issues, the ACA will be no different.

In any case, OP needs long term care for her mom which no ACA insurance will cover (only Medicaid covers that). OP's mom is getting medical care in the hospital, it's where she's going to get discharged to where she will get regular care and 24 hour help that is the issue.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:35 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I don't see how her mother could be left alone at all, or how a neighbor could provide the kind of care needed by someone in her mother's condition. My impression, which could be wrong, is that her mother cannot be up and about at all. And she needs rehab.

I sure hope the Medicaid appeal will be successful. She paid taxes for 30 years so it seems like she should be entitled to this necessary help.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
^^^

Worst case.

But you do what you have to do.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 PM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
My mother does need rehab. She was already showing improvement before the medicaid denial. Now she is just sitting in the hospital and depressed. I'm going to contact one facility tomorrow morning, they just have to take her regardless if she lives in the county or not....

Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I have not read all these posts (something like 25 pages) but it appears your mother is a non-citizen of the US that was "sponsored" at some point to the US by a relative....according to immigration laws, THAT person,(whoever sponsored her) has made a promise to care for her needs while she is "visiting" the US without rights such as Medicare and Social Security....In your mothers case, WHO was her "sponsor"????

Just like "co-signing" for a loan, these duties should NOT be taken lightly, because should a "need" arise, you are then responsible for the individual you "sponsored" or "cosigned" for.....

Good point.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
My mother does need rehab. She was already showing improvement before the medicaid denial. Now she is just sitting in the hospital and depressed. I'm going to contact one facility tomorrow morning, they just have to take her regardless if she lives in the county or not....
Huh?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Huh?
Clearly the OP is just thinking out loud. She's desperate for some help. Have you never felt that way? If not, you must be very young or very lucky.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:16 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
OP, how is your mother? Is she still in the hospital?

Old 02-07-2017, 09:59 AM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
I actually found a place for her. It was from one facility that one commenter on here mentioned. I am waiting to hear back from there to see if they will take her. I haven't heard from them since friday.

update: nevermind, I just found out that she was rejected for not being homeless even though she doesn't have an address and doesn't live with me. I guess everything I mentioned was never put into consideration. I wonder how long people will continue to spit on my face. Now I'm back to square one again. At this point, the only thing that is good for me and my mother is if she dies. I know this entire ordeal will come to an end. I know, it sounds morbid and almost selfish but at this point I really don't give a damn. I was hoping to share some good news today but long behold, I am let down once again.

Last edited by buzzlightyear00; 02-07-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving