Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 02:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times

Advertisements

Is Mexico her home country? Because palliative medical care across the border is very affordable. A family may want to take her in and care for her for very little money per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 02:31 PM

167 posts, read 189,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Is Mexico her home country? Because palliative medical care across the border is very affordable. A family may want to take her in and care for her for very little money per month.
No she is not from mexico.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:00 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,958 times
(( hugs )).

Can you try to get her admitted to a different hospital?

Then, don't let them release her until care is available, and not in your home?

Social workers in another state would not let my dad go home until we could show that he had appropriate care lined up.

As a last resort, maybe look into taking her into another state that has better laws/protection for this type of situation, and put her in a nursing home there?

Old 01-28-2017, 05:05 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
It does look promising. I'm definitely going to look into this. This could be a huge relief if the place is willing to help me out and a huge relief until I get things together for her.
You should ask the hospital's social workers/case managers to look into it first. It's already a long shot and it's possible the shelter may accept your mother (if there's an empty bed) when contacted by the social workers but not if contacted by you.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:10 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
You should ask the hospital's social workers/case managers to look into it first. It's already a long shot and it's possible the shelter may accept your mother (if there's an empty bed) when contacted by the social workers but not if contacted by you.
Agree. The hospital social workers were negligent in not doing this already!

I would discuss this with them ASAP - they dropped the ball here. They were not supposed to release your mom until she had care lined up. They "assumed" you could take care of her. I didn't read the whole thread, but do you have a full time job? What would your mom do while you're working? And sounds like you cannot afford an aide (understandable as that is $$$ very quickly).

If you have to, escalate this, and bring her right back to the ER if you have to. Or another hospital.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 PM

I know. I would think that many social workers would know about this already instead of giving me numbers to a bunch of "shelters". I do have a full time job and that is one of the reasons why I can't taker care of her. More time taking care of her means less time to work and that will put me at risk of losing my job. I don't want that. She needs a full time care giver and I don't have that kind of income to pay people full time.

I'll bring this up to the social worker this coming monday. She's already in the hospital snuffybear. I told them I can't take her back in. I tried looking into another state but it looks like my mother was denied medicaid for reasons that should not apply to her. I was going to move her to another state but I need to attempt to appeal (with a lawyer) the medicaid and if not, reapply again.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:05 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
I have not read all these posts (something like 25 pages) but it appears your mother is a non-citizen of the US that was "sponsored" at some point to the US by a relative....according to immigration laws, THAT person,(whoever sponsored her) has made a promise to care for her needs while she is "visiting" the US without rights such as Medicare and Social Security....In your mothers case, WHO was her "sponsor"????

Just like "co-signing" for a loan, these duties should NOT be taken lightly, because should a "need" arise, you are then responsible for the individual you "sponsored" or "cosigned" for.....

Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I have not read all these posts (something like 25 pages) but it appears your mother is a non-citizen of the US that was "sponsored" at some point to the US by a relative....according to immigration laws, THAT person,(whoever sponsored her) has made a promise to care for her needs while she is "visiting" the US without rights such as Medicare and Social Security....In your mothers case, WHO was her "sponsor"????

Just like "co-signing" for a loan, these duties should NOT be taken lightly, because should a "need" arise, you are then responsible for the individual you "sponsored" or "cosigned" for.....
I'm not sure. I know you are talking about the I-864 and I couldn't be the petitioner or sponsor because I didn't even have a job and income back when she applied for a green card. I know I am the petitioner for the I130 which only shows proof relative relationship. I know she was having a hard time finding someone to sponsor her.

Last edited by buzzlightyear00; 01-29-2017 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
There are only four respite care centers in Texas.

Quote:
More than 70 U.S. cities have set up respite care facilities for homeless patients who need a place to recover after leaving a hospital.

In Texas, there are four such centers — three in Houston and one in Austin.

“One of the really cool things that happens if you get homeless people into a safe place for a time is they connect with human services,” Biederman said. “They may get disability [payments] and now are in line to get an apartment. This suddenly becomes a success story.”
Hospitals grapple with challenge in caring for homeless | News | Dallas News

Old 01-29-2017, 11:01 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Can't she get subsidized ACA insurance? That's who it's for, mainly. People who can't qualify for Medicaid, but don't have money to provide medical services for themselves.

Then apply for SSDI while you have the ACA insurance.

So...she has an income? Or assets? That's why she won't qualify for Medicaid? (in TX, the income/assets for Medicaid is so low as to be a joke.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving