Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 AM

50,709 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Do all non citizens qualify for medicaid? How long do they have to live here? Or can anyone come to this country and get free medical care the next day? I really don't know how it works.
Why don't you read the thread? OP's mother has been here working for decades, legally. She has had permanent resident status for many years. She paid taxes for decades just like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:23 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Remember to check yourself before dumping everyone of a certain age range into one category and assume they are all "one behavior". That's not smart.
Remember, you did the same thing regarding living in the south because one person talked about God to you. Just sayin'....

Old 02-16-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is sad - what the USA has come to while, at the same time, we have Starbucks and Burger King in the Green Zone in Bagdad......

That was only when the US military was there. Those US businesses have since left.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I am not sure what this is getting at. Are you all saying that getting health benefits for my mother is impossible now? Temporary work status and permanent residency status are two different levels of what you can get access to. Is anyone even reading what I am writing anymore...

I believe she CAN get health benefits and Medicaid coverage, at least from what I know here in Georgia. My mother did not work full time -- only part time jobs -- and is covered by Medicaid for a nursing home because Alzheimer's is considered a disability.

I really think you need to spend some money talking to an elder care attorney. And no, they are not just about asset protection. Our attorney has a specific program for placing loved ones in care.

Last edited by wasel; 02-16-2017 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: mention Alzheimer's

Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
OP you have got to talk with an elder care attorney.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:46 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why don't you read the thread? OP's mother has been here working for decades, legally. She has had permanent resident status for many years. She paid taxes for decades just like you.
If you go back and reread the OP's first two threads, the mother has NOT had permanent resident status for many years, she got permanent resident status in July 2016, the state is refusing her medicaid because she can't prove she has the 40 credits that she needs to be eligible for medicaid.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP you have got to talk with an elder care attorney.
This advice has been given repeatedly even though technically the OP's mother is not elderly.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I believe she CAN get health benefits and Medicaid coverage, at least from what I know here in Georgia. My mother did not work full time -- only part time jobs -- and is covered by Medicaid for a nursing home because Alzheimer's is considered a disability.

I really think you need to spend some money talking to an elder care attorney. And no, they are not just about asset protection. Our attorney has a specific program for placing loved ones in care.
I think the issue is the amount of time the mother has had permanent residence status, which she only got in July 2016.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 AM

167 posts, read 189,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Remember, you did the same thing regarding living in the south because one person talked about God to you. Just sayin'....
I never mentioned that all southerners are this way. People have talked about god to me many times before in public and especially while attending college when I sit outside but those people have been friendly and respectful. I have seen this multiple times and is more prominent in southern regions and I've seen this kind of behavior even in written form on freeway billboards on occasion. I just don't get why it matters so much. It's irritating and that is one factor on why I dislike being in the south.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 AM

687 posts, read 636,506 times
Quote:
I never mentioned that all southerners are this way. People have talked about god to me many times before in public and especially while attending college when I sit outside but those people have been friendly and respectful. I have seen this multiple times and is more prominent in southern regions and I've seen this kind of behavior even in written form on freeway billboards on occasion. I just don't get why it matters so much. It's irritating and that is one factor on why I dislike being in the south.
I have seen this same thing while visiting and traveling in the South and I am a Christian in the mid-Atlantic area. It's called the Bible Belt for that reason, I believe.

How is your mother doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving