Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2021, 02:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Link is from a article in today's newspaper. If you are blocked by a paywall, here is a few quotes from the article:
I think further study is needed before reaching a firm conclusion

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...9-16385466.php

"The work builds on prior studies that have shown that exposure to PM 2.5, which refers to particulate matter that is 2.5 micrometers in size or smaller, compromises people’s immunity and increases susceptibility to COVID-19. It’s also thought that the virus may be spread by the particles.

"The presence of wildfire smoke last year during the pandemic may have been responsible for at least 19,000 additional cases of COVID-19 on the West Coast, and 700 subsequent deaths, a new study shows"

“It’s a horrible combination,” said Francesca Dominici, one of the authors of the study and a biostatistician at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “Together, the wildfires and COVID-19 make us even sicker.”

Found the actual study: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/33/eabi8789
Plus PM 2.5 is one of the most unhealthy things in the air and some sites will only list other items unless you dig deeper, making the air look better than it is. CA has bad air, not as visibly bad as decades ago, but still bad most of the time in most areas except the lower inhabited coastal area above Southern CA. Not surprised it is impacting the number of cases.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:25 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
There are fewer children in California than other states who are being hospitalized because of the higher vaccination rate here.

Children are being newly hospitalized for COVID-19 at a record rate in the United States, with numbers surging since the beginning of July as the Delta variant has overtaken the nation.

But that national boom has been driven largely by a few states, such as Florida, Texas and Georgia, and the numbers in California have been less dire.

While there has been a rebound in recent weeks in California, rates of new hospitalizations for COVID-19 among kids and teens age 17 and younger have not reached the heights as in the hardest-hit parts of the country.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...lization-rates

Old 08-15-2021, 03:54 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Interesting as I thought children still cannot be vaccinated as of August of 2021.

Breakthrough cases are real there are real reports of people getting COVID with very severe symptoms, despite two full vaccination and a previous infection. I guess lightning does strike the same place twice.

I am surprised last year I heard many school districts decided to delay start till after Labor Day to prepare for the post COVID world school year as well as to monitor whether the situation gets better. Starting after Labor day was the tradition of what schools used to do before this early start trend started. This year however they are back to early starting, regardless of the surging Delta Variant. If the tier system is still active most counties would easily be purple.

Apparently I believe most corporate businesses tend to follow the CDCs changing recommendations as opposed to local restrictions. I.e many businesses had restrictions that the state's, locals don't require especially in places like Arizona. And it can vary pretty wildly from business to business too, its interesting to see especially in a mall setting. Though many magically lifted many of the restrictions, i.e temperature checks, one family at a time, these once the CDC says otherwise this summer. It was ackward shopping when only one family is allowed in, i.e would one be scolded by others by taking too long to browse, since other families had to waste time and wait out in the weather. It was just insane.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-15-2021 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-15-2021, 04:34 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting as I thought children still cannot be vaccinated as of August of 2021.
They can't (under the age of 12). But they're better protected from COVID if the people around them are fully vaccinated.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:28 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Link is from a article in today's newspaper. If you are blocked by a paywall, here is a few quotes from the article:
I think further study is needed before reaching a firm conclusion

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...9-16385466.php

"The work builds on prior studies that have shown that exposure to PM 2.5, which refers to particulate matter that is 2.5 micrometers in size or smaller, compromises people’s immunity and increases susceptibility to COVID-19. It’s also thought that the virus may be spread by the particles.

"The presence of wildfire smoke last year during the pandemic may have been responsible for at least 19,000 additional cases of COVID-19 on the West Coast, and 700 subsequent deaths, a new study shows"

“It’s a horrible combination,” said Francesca Dominici, one of the authors of the study and a biostatistician at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “Together, the wildfires and COVID-19 make us even sicker.”

Found the actual study: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/33/eabi8789
Interesting. I wonder if cigarette smoking, past or present, accomplishes the same, especially since the demographic of those who smoke are likely similar to that of anti-vaxxers.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:26 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
the smoking question
https://airqualitynews.com/2019/12/0...port-suggests/

Old 08-16-2021, 09:55 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
I came across this COVID related article this morning......I can't imagine anyone not feeling over what is in the article.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...covid-n1276789

Old 08-16-2021, 01:17 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
I came across this COVID related article this morning......I can't imagine anyone not feeling over what is in the article.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...covid-n1276789
When billions are just thrown around what does one think is going to happen?

Old 08-16-2021, 01:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When billions are just thrown around what does one think is going to happen?
From the site.

In fact, state officials have made statements that refute their own reporting into the Labor Department data system. California, for example, appears to have reported only $2 million in fraud across CARES Act programs, despite publicly having acknowledged over $11 billion in unemployment fraud after an audit in January. State officials said early this year that projected losses could reach $31 billion.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:47 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...t-coronavirus/

This was rather expected and the good news is that we are prepared for this. NYT is also reporting this

"The Biden administration is planning to announce that all Americans who have received the coronavirus vaccine will need booster shots to combat waning immunity from the immunizations and the highly transmissible delta variant that is sparking a surge in covid-19 cases throughout the nation, according to four people familiar with the decision.

The administration’s health and science experts are coalescing around the view that people will need the boosters eight months after they are fully vaccinated, according to the people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a decision not yet public. The decision is likely to be announced as soon as this week."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California