Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 05:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I never said vaccines don't slow the spread. But if they don't slow the spread a lot, in that sense they're a failure. Mayor Garcetti often was saying last year to slow the spread until vaccines become available, to end this. I think almost everyone believed that until this summer.
Vaccines will not end it anymore than the yearly flu shots have ended the flu. However it does reduce the likelihood of getting it, reduces any bad side effects and the number who still get the virus are far less likely to die. If it weren't for the vaccines things would be far worse.

Mind you it can still get worse due to the increase in cases of this new strain. Even vaccinated people are getting it. Now while i have a good immune system, type O blood which is best in this case and have been vaccinated, i still wear a mask when close to others in a building to avoid first of all potentially passing it on if i should ever have it and not know it and next, getting the virus even though vaccinated.

I put the interests of others ahead of myself as non mask wearing is part of what is causing the spread and a lot of it is in young people who are also experiencing lingering effects.

The real question is; is there an even worse form developing and no vaccine will stop it and the current vaccines will have minimal to no impact and it could be extremely easy to catch. I hope not and do feel it is not likely, but ..... who knows.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:58 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I never said vaccines don't slow the spread. But if they don't slow the spread a lot, in that sense they're a failure. Mayor Garcetti often was saying last year to slow the spread until vaccines become available, to end this. I think almost everyone believed that until this summer.

The vaccine/s are the best tool we have at this time.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:55 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
This is being reported by several news sites (link below) It is just one study though and not yet "peer reviewed" I personally would not call it conclusive with out more studies.

https://www.chron.com/coronavirus/ar...t-16380673.php
That's concerning.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:21 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Being reported that the FDA is "poised" to give emergency approval for Pfizer or Moderna booster shots for the immunocompromised. What my take away from this is, that if the effectiness of the vaccine/s becomes a real issue, there is likely a remedy to that ready and waiting.......booster shots

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...eople-n1276602

There are papers at least as far back as March 2021 that indicate boosters have always been a potentiality. The drug makers didn't hide this fact, they fully disclosed its reality. CDC is saying right now it's not necessary for the general population because the vaccines are working well, even against the named variants.

I still get emails from my health provider telling me I need my second shot, which I got at the end of March. I should just take them up on this and go get number three in the series.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:48 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Agreed, at some point they have to own it. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the whiney excuses, they are basically a bunch of rebels without a cause. I have a family member who thinks the Covid Vaccine is a conspiracy or something, he sends me videos of Dr. Malone who falsely claims he invented MRNA. I did some research and learned that the guy got vaccinated with the very same vaccine that he claims will kill everyone
You and I did not agree about the last election. At least you see that I think in common sense, not ideological terms. These people are candidates for the Darwin Awards.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:52 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Need deer wear masks? See The coronavirus is rife in common US deer - Nature.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:08 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Interesting that the exposure may have been from wastewater. That segues nicely with this article from today. They've been toying with the idea of wastewater monitoring in lieu of/piggybacking on testing at schools, etc.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:32 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Another excellent video (provided by Med Cram) just out this evening. Dr. Eric Topol, MD talks about the Delta Variant, inter-nasal vaccines and rapid testing. Not a long video but very interesting and more information than I see on the local news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haG1yKJVVAw

Old 08-11-2021, 10:13 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Here's how to turn anti-vaxxers around:
That's hilarious. I think I need a booster

Old 08-12-2021, 08:47 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
This is good news. The FDA is about to authorize a booster vaccine for people with weak immune systems. I hope we'll soon see a nasal vaccine, too, but for now, even a vaccine for the immune-suppressed is good. I know this is one of the reasons some are hesitant to get vaccinated. They've read the documentation about what could happen if they at risk. Maybe this will be the catalyst they need.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fd...ts-11628778775
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California