Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 07:51 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
We're not in lockdown. I can't predict the length of a lockdown for a variant that might not exist yet, but I can predict a vicious variant will trigger that and lockdowns aren't lifted until some metrics improve. Pessimism is realism right now. Authorities should be calling for people to limit some activities so that vaccine makers have time to come up with and distribute products that are more effective against Delta and newer variants.
Unfortunately, society cannot go on that way. At some point, we have to let it rip; especially if there is a vaccine that can prevent or ameliorate it. Then, it's the non-vaxxers own fault.

See below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My answer is never, because I never did. I did whatever I wanted to, minus enter grocery stores, from day one. They locked down the oceans and forest and I just went anyway. I was around no one. I got the covids from work way early and it was hardly anything to write home about. I got the vaccine, I'm not wearing a mask again and no one around me is either. If there is a booster, great. If not so what. There have always been hypochondriacs. If that's how they want to live the rest of their lives not my problem.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Unfortunately, society cannot go on that way. At some point, we have to let it rip; especially if there is a vaccine that can prevent or ameliorate it. Then, it's the non-vaxxers own fault.

See below:
Agreed, at some point they have to own it. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the whiney excuses, they are basically a bunch of rebels without a cause. I have a family member who thinks the Covid Vaccine is a conspiracy or something, he sends me videos of Dr. Malone who falsely claims he invented MRNA. I did some research and learned that the guy got vaccinated with the very same vaccine that he claims will kill everyone

Old 08-10-2021, 09:04 PM

57 posts, read 24,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Agreed, at some point they have to own it. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the whiney excuses, they are basically a bunch of rebels without a cause. I have a family member who thinks the Covid Vaccine is a conspiracy or something, he sends me videos of Dr. Malone who falsely claims he invented MRNA. I did some research and learned that the guy got vaccinated with the very same vaccine that he claims will kill everyone
There’s not much anyone can do about the whiney excuses and rebel attitude. I’m not trying to be snarky, but realistically the vaccine is easy to get. We were in Costco last weekend and they had a table at the entrance offering the vaccine. You didn’t even have to be a member and no appointment necessary. That’s how I got mine, just went in a few months ago and got my first shot in ten minutes.

It’s so readily available that anyone that wants it would have gotten it by now. I’m not even sure mandatory vaccinations will work. I have coworkers that aren’t vaccinated and are ready to quit if our company mandates the vaccine. It’s a difficult situation and I’m not sure there is an answer. Mandatory vaccinations will most assuredly result in lawsuits. However, a group of nurses in Houston tried that and failed.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

See below:
Transmissibility has to decrease. It's no good if people have a friendly gathering and later some attendees get quite sick. That will train many people out of socializing. Same for workplaces; already many employees are trying not to go back. Living under almost constant risk is psychologically harmful, and self-isolation is also bad. Some people are callous and if they get infected (which probably will happen at some point) and don't feel it, they don't care, but most humans don't want to spread something around that might cause harm. And little children - I don't think vaccination for kids under 5 will be happening soon and who wants to give a little kid a bad illness?

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-10-2021 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 10:15 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Transmissibility has to decrease. It's no good if people have a friendly gathering and later some attendees get quite sick. That will train many people out of socializing. Same for workplaces; already many employees are trying not to go back. Living under almost constant risk is psychologically harmful, and self-isolation is also bad. Some people are callous and if they get infected (which probably will happen at some point) and don't feel it, they don't care, but most humans don't want to spread something around that might cause harm. And little children - I don't think vaccination for kids under 5 will be happening soon and who wants to give a little kid a bad illness?
Let's be real here. People don't want to go back into the office because of freedom. Freedom of no commute, dealing with co-workers, no over zealous bosses and just the freedom of being comfortable at home. I work in shorts and a rash guard as my main attire. I take dips in the pool all day long.

Everything now is driven by metrics. Either you make your numbers or you don't. There is no reason for most people that have jobs that are phone or computer related to go back in after having proved it for over a year. This is mid-mgt realizing they really aren't needed without some reason to run around and pat you on the head "making sure" you are working. Which is dumb speak for they are "doing something", which now is really nothing. This has nothing to do with a pandemic on the wane. It has everything to do with what they see as job security.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 577 times
Quote:
If you did proper research, you would know that Dr. Malone contributed to inventing mRNA technology (debate is whether credit should all go to him). He got vaccinated because he believes the proper response to the pandemic is vaccinating only the elderly and higher risk categories, and not the entire population at least not yet until further studies. He's also advocating for a new traditional vaccine for more hesitant people to have the option, but it likely won't be available in the US when more money can be made with the existing one. If you actually spend time reading and listening to people like him and think critically, you will realize what is going on. People aren't really anti-vaxxers, just fearful.

The whiney excuses people have are legitimate because we do not have safety data on these experimental vaccines, and as Dr. Malone and many other scientists say, the risk/benefit must be factored in. Short term adverse events are being underreported and we do not know long term effects. Anti-vaxxers were always the people who refuse to get any vaccine or vaccinate their children. The vast majority of so-called "anti-vaxxers" now just don't trust THIS vaccine and push to vaccinate the entire population in the world's largest clinical trial when the risk/benefit is just isn't there. Understand the argument from the other side, the "anti-vaxxers" some of you hate so much? Hope this makes it clearer. If all the shady things weren't going on, many more people would have got the shot. Now the medical community is not going to be trusted for the foreseeable future unless they reverse course.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfg View Post
If you did proper research, you would know that Dr. Malone contributed to inventing mRNA technology (debate is whether credit should all go to him). He got vaccinated because he believes the proper response to the pandemic is vaccinating only the elderly and higher risk categories, and not the entire population at least not yet until further studies. He's also advocating for a new traditional vaccine for more hesitant people to have the option, but it likely won't be available in the US when more money can be made with the existing one. If you actually spend time reading and listening to people like him and think critically, you will realize what is going on. People aren't really anti-vaxxers, just fearful.

The whiney excuses people have are legitimate because we do not have safety data on these experimental vaccines, and as Dr. Malone and many other scientists say, the risk/benefit must be factored in. Short term adverse events are being underreported and we do not know long term effects. Anti-vaxxers were always the people who refuse to get any vaccine or vaccinate their children. The vast majority of so-called "anti-vaxxers" now just don't trust THIS vaccine and push to vaccinate the entire population in the world's largest clinical trial when the risk/benefit is just isn't there. Understand the argument from the other side, the "anti-vaxxers" some of you hate so much? Hope this makes it clearer. If all the shady things weren't going on, many more people would have got the shot. Now the medical community is not going to be trusted for the foreseeable future unless they reverse course.
He's a fraud who most likely caused more than one death because of the lies he's been spewing:

In 2021 he started claiming he was the inventor of mRNA. https://www.logically.ai/factchecks/library/3aa2eefd

He admits to taking the very vaccine that he calls deadly, he spreads his anti covid nonsense on Telegram and then tries to deny it. https://www.logically.ai/articles/sc...-robert-malone

Not only did he say the vaccine wasn't safe for children, he said it can cause abortion https://firstdraftnews.org/articles/...-miscarriages/ He falsely claimed that COVID-19 vaccines will make SARS-CoV-2 more dangerous due to a mechanism called antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) https://healthfeedback.org/claimrevi...robert-malone/

Whenever you're ready we can have a similar discussion about the other nut job anti vaxxer Michael Yeadon.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Let's be real here. People don't want to go back into the office because of freedom. Freedom of no commute, dealing with co-workers, no over zealous bosses and just the freedom of being comfortable at home. I work in shorts and a rash guard as my main attire. I take dips in the pool all day long.

Everything now is driven by metrics. Either you make your numbers or you don't. There is no reason for most people that have jobs that are phone or computer related to go back in after having proved it for over a year. This is mid-mgt realizing they really aren't needed without some reason to run around and pat you on the head "making sure" you are working. Which is dumb speak for they are "doing something", which now is really nothing. This has nothing to do with a pandemic on the wane. It has everything to do with what they see as job security.
Well said. My son is a CPA who works for a Northern California county. He's been working from home for a year or more. The health department and head of personnel said that as many employees as possible should continue working at home, but mid-management screamed and cried until they agreed to allow the office manager to make the decision, of course his supervisor opted to required all employees to work in the office. Now there are three employees who are ill with Covid and two more who home because they are positive but asymptomatic. The geniuses who pushed for everyone to return are now saying "I guess there are too many people in the building" so they are going to let them work from home one day a week- my guess is that's not going to be enough but I guess we'll see.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:03 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Well said. My son is a CPA who works for a Northern California county. He's been working from home for a year or more. The health department and head of personnel said that as many employees as possible should continue working at home, but mid-management screamed and cried until they agreed to allow the office manager to make the decision, of course his supervisor opted to required all employees to work in the office. Now there are three employees who are ill with Covid and two more who home because they are positive but asymptomatic. The geniuses who pushed for everyone to return are now saying "I guess there are too many people in the building" so they are going to let them work from home one day a week- my guess is that's not going to be enough but I guess we'll see.
That's very predictable.

I'll concede that most people were 'over' the pointless hassle of going to the office, but for some people it's been primarily about avoiding illness. Either way, both groups miss out on socializing. Part-time working on location when the atmosphere isn't terrible probably is psychologically healthier than being hunkered down alone or with a few housemates most of the time. Almost everyone uses the same argument in favor of opening schools. The virus running rampant and potent indefinitely is not livable enough.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:03 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
My Company did a poll about whether or not anyone wanted to go back in, the stipulation is it had to be one or the other. Out of 40 employees 2 wanted to go back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California