Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 07:48 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times

Advertisements

If you scroll down the webpage in the link, you will see the 4 variants that CDC classified as of "concern"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...s/variant.html

Old 08-06-2021, 09:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Same here and it was known at the time that there would be "break through" cases, asymptomatic spread and everything else indicating that there wasn't a 100% magic bullet being applied. If the agency which gave you your shot/s said otherwise, they should be publicly hanged. But I'm guessing they didn't and you received the exact same information I did, along with everyone else, which made clear that the vaccines aren't magic at all.
Nobody said there would be asymptomatic spread among the vaccinated. They said it might happen from vaccinated people to unvaccinated individuals. I don't remember any documentation from the pharmacy mentioning spread.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The health agencies may not have said it directly, but their mouth pieces in the news certainly implied it was the magic bullet or a superhero cape, etc. People literally did not read the waivers they signed and just went off what they heard from people instead of doing their own research. That's why many are surprised by the boosters right now and why many who were vaxxed are having regrets about it. The only reason why vaccination rates, and key word being rates since the raw numbers went down significantly, is because people are being coerced into taking it or else they'll lose their jobs and can't participate in society.

This is all about control and because of how passive people were last year, not listening to scientists and doctors who were going against the mainstream narrative, there will be more lockdowns with more freedoms taken away. It's scaling that way internationally right now and has started to in the US. People said there'd never be vaccine passports yet here we are with multiple counties and cities implementing them.

All of this is going to accelerate pretty hard in the next 2-3 years before finally settling down. Just like the Event 201 "models predicted", but just a slightly longer timeframe.
Conversation minus most of that would make this thread so much better. Notice how it throws in subtle, unsubstantiated claims about "many" regretting being vaccinated, as if it's the cause of the problem - and then it's conspiracy talk. I'll dream of people actually collectively working to end the pandemic. But from the start, it was controversial even to partly restrict international travel. Nobody wants to step up to the task. This is a subtle prison the people have made for themselves.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:12 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
People literally did not read the waivers they signed and just went off what they heard from people instead of doing their own research. That's why many are surprised by the boosters right now and why many who were vaxxed are having regrets about it.
What "people" are you talking about? Speaking as if all people somehow believed this is simply untrue.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:13 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Conversation minus most of that would make this thread so much better. Notice how it throws in subtle, unsubstantiated claims about "many" regretting being vaccinated, as if it's the cause of the problem - and then it's conspiracy talk. I'll dream of people actually collectively working to end the pandemic. But from the start, it was controversial even to partly restrict international travel. Nobody wants to step up to the task. This is a subtle prison the people have made for themselves.
Can't rep you again.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:43 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
Article in today's SF Chronicle. You may be able to read the article depending on what your browser setting are.....without running into a paywall. Here is one quote from the article.

“What delta taught us is that what you know today is useful for decision-making for today, but things can change very quickly,” said Dr. Robert Wachter, chair of the department of medicine at UCSF. “Six weeks ago I thought we were sitting pretty. And within the course of a month delta went from a blip to the dominant virus in the country, and the more we came to understand it the more we came to realize it was a very different beast.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-16370982.php

Old 08-07-2021, 11:28 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Article in today's SF Chronicle.

Quote: Wachter said that though he’s had his dark moments, he can also appreciate how much better off everyone is now than a year ago. “My feeling today is one more of exhaustion and disappointment than it is of existential dread, which was my main feeling in March 2020,” he said. “At least as a vaccinated person, I’m quite confident I’m not going to die of this thing. And that’s not how I felt in March 2020.”

Too many doom & gloom types are forgetting what the pre-vaccine world of only last year was like. While I was more confident than this guy that I wouldn't die either way (I worked in a germy setting for months prior to being vaccinated), I also felt better once we crossed that threshold and had a true prevention method at our disposal.

The salient (and only) real point in that article is that the comparison between this summer and last isn't an equivalent measure. Last summer, the state was still largely locked down, with all the protocols still in place and no vaccine. That's not the case today at all and yet bodies aren't being piled up in the streets like the original projections back in February 2020 suggested. Remember that? The best modeling at the time said 25M + Californians infected by the end of April 2020. So for those of you who are waiting for that 100% protection that's never going to come, keep this in perspective.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:53 AM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Quote: Wachter said that though he’s had his dark moments, he can also appreciate how much better off everyone is now than a year ago. “My feeling today is one more of exhaustion and disappointment than it is of existential dread, which was my main feeling in March 2020,” he said. “At least as a vaccinated person, I’m quite confident I’m not going to die of this thing. And that’s not how I felt in March 2020.”

Too many doom & gloom types are forgetting what the pre-vaccine world of only last year was like. While I was more confident than this guy that I wouldn't die either way (I worked in a germy setting for months prior to being vaccinated), I also felt better once we crossed that threshold and had a true prevention method at our disposal.

The salient (and only) real point in that article is that the comparison between this summer and last isn't an equivalent measure. Last summer, the state was still largely locked down, with all the protocols still in place and no vaccine. That's not the case today at all and yet bodies aren't being piled up in the streets like the original projections back in February 2020 suggested. Remember that? The best modeling at the time said 25M + Californians infected by the end of April 2020. So for those of you who are waiting for that 100% protection that's never going to come, keep this in perspective.
After getting the covids and nothing really happened I knew it was mostly the next thing the news ran with. Keep people glued to the screen.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:31 AM

57 posts, read 24,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
After getting the covids and nothing really happened I knew it was mostly the next thing the news ran with. Keep people glued to the screen.
The vast majority of people recover with no issues. All the negativity is good for the news. They’ll do what it takes to whip people up.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:41 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Except deaths in the vaccinated population are 95% lower than the last wave. See what's happening in England. Compare cases and deaths for the last two waves. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The virus is a non-issue for the vaccinated. Like a cold or light flu. The only ones who should worry are the unvaccinated.

It's an issue for the high-risk vaccinated and the immunocompromised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California