Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 07:25 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,403,892 times

Advertisements

New numbers show continued dramatic slowdown of policing in Atlanta for second week

ATLANTA — A dramatic slowdown in policing in the city of Atlanta continued for a second week.

A retired senior police official warns that Atlanta’s poorer neighborhoods will suffer if police are not as active.

Channel 2 investigative reporter Richard Belcher has now examined citywide numbers for the week before the Rayshard Brooks shooting and the week after -- the week when two officers were charged with Brooks’ death and scores of officers called in sick..."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...KFI2JN5LELATQ/

Old 06-26-2020, 09:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,398,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
New numbers show continued dramatic slowdown of policing in Atlanta for second week

ATLANTA — A dramatic slowdown in policing in the city of Atlanta continued for a second week.

A retired senior police official warns that Atlanta’s poorer neighborhoods will suffer if police are not as active.

Channel 2 investigative reporter Richard Belcher has now examined citywide numbers for the week before the Rayshard Brooks shooting and the week after -- the week when two officers were charged with Brooks’ death and scores of officers called in sick..."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...KFI2JN5LELATQ/
"A councilman asked the interim police chief: “Why can’t we get that body out of the street?”
“I was just notified that there is, there is a young man that has been shot and killed at 377 Westchester Boulevard. If you could get a unit out there. He’s been on the ground. There’s no police that have come to… he’s dead already,” the councilman said."

Well, as KLB and the city want to reimagine/defund/disband the police, send out a social worker with a body bag.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 AM
bu2

24,270 posts, read 15,112,709 times
Sounds like we have our own little CHAZ around that Wendy's.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:06 AM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
"A councilman asked the interim police chief: “Why can’t we get that body out of the street?”
“I was just notified that there is, there is a young man that has been shot and killed at 377 Westchester Boulevard. If you could get a unit out there. He’s been on the ground. There’s no police that have come to… he’s dead already,” the councilman said."

Well, as KLB and the city want to reimagine/defund/disband the police, send out a social worker with a body bag.
We may need some police reform but we need to be careful about weakening law enforcement too much. I was just reading an article in today's paper about an 80 year old grandfather here in town who was gunned down in his own home last night, apparently the innocent victim of a drive by shooting. They found about 20 bullet casings on the ground. The family says it was the second time the house had been shot up in two weeks.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...vlXhb6kFWH2yO/

Old 06-26-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We may need some police reform but we need to be careful about weakening law enforcement too much. I was just reading an article in today's paper about an 80 year old grandfather here in town who was gunned down in his own home last night, apparently the innocent victim of a drive by shooting. They found about 20 bullet casings on the ground. The family says it was the second time the house had been shot up in two weeks.

Unfortunately the way the narrative has turned recently there will need to be a lot more violence before the police get supported again.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:59 AM

12,001 posts, read 8,256,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I agree that a reform is needed and as you say it needs to be VERY carefully mandated. I'm all for supporting protests per what happened to Floyd but I cannot support a cause where someone knowingly and willingly resists arrest and tries to attack a cop. After that instance, whatever is the outcome is the outcome. This problem is this, BOTH SIDES need to come to an agreement in respecting each other, this means Civilians of all races too. They need to come to terms that if they remain law abiding citizens and do not infrenge upon the police they will not be harmed, and the Police will need to resort to honoring the safety of -law abiding- citizens of any race. If you go outside the law however I personally lose all concern of what happens there-after. Anyone, white, black, blue, orange going outside of it is taking a gamble, sometimes you win - sometimes you don't.

Doing anything otherwise will put ALOT more people in harms way than it will ever save as it will literally pave the way for anarchy - especially if these provocations are based on our personal bias's and agendas.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 3,448,594 times
All we need as the economy is on the brink of a major meltdown is to have less law enforcement. This could get ugly very quickly for Atlanta residents.

As for the subject, I do think it was wrong someone was shot in the back. There will never be a justification for such action unless that person is an immediate threat to others. He was a threat when he was behind the wheel and turned a vehicle into a weapon. That situation had resolved itself.

The officer should be punished. To the extend that the DA went after him, I'm not a lawyer and cannot comment.

I get police feel like they are under fire while performing a dangerous job. They have to understand the mistakes and learn from them. It was obvious to me from that video that Rayshard Brooks would have done anything to get away that evening. But the fact of the matter is that he didn't do anything more than fire a tazer, miss and at that point wouldn't have had another opportunity to fire it again. Does training prepare you for an all out brawl, the taking of a weapon and having it fired upon you? I don't know.

If Rayshard Brooks was white, Asian, Mexican, etc ...would the outcome be different given the events that led to the murder? I don't know but chances are anyone who goes through those motions is risking their life given policing today.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
But the fact of the matter is that he didn't do anything more than fire a tazer, miss and at that point wouldn't have had another opportunity to fire it again. Does training prepare you for an all out brawl, the taking of a weapon and having it fired upon you? I don't know.
This assumes of course that the taser in question is a single shot cartridge type. Not all are, some can be fired again. I haven't seen anything yet in the news that confirms this one way or another for this situation.

"enhanced officer safety by enabling the user to recover from missed shots and/or engage up to three targets."

https://www.policemag.com/344849/tas...-shot-stun-gun

Old 06-26-2020, 01:43 PM

1,715 posts, read 3,448,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
This assumes of course that the taser in question is a single shot cartridge type. Not all are, some can be fired again. I haven't seen anything yet in the news that confirms this one way or another for this situation.

"enhanced officer safety by enabling the user to recover from missed shots and/or engage up to three targets."

https://www.policemag.com/344849/tas...-shot-stun-gun

I could be wrong but as I understand it there are no 'semi-automatic' tasers. Meaning you can't just pull the trigger three times in a row and have three fires. I don't think that would be the deciding factor by a jury either way...but again, I could be wrong.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I could be wrong but as I understand it there are no 'semi-automatic' tasers. Meaning you can't just pull the trigger three times in a row and have three fires. I don't think that would be the deciding factor by a jury either way...but again, I could be wrong.
You might be right, I don’t know the ins and outs of them. Just pointing out that not all are single fire and then you need to reload them with another cartridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta