Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,288,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
APD officer says he fears for his own safety on the job following protests, firings

ATLANTA — A career police officer who has served the city of Atlanta for nearly two decades says he no longer feels safe doing his job and is now preparing to call it quits.

The Atlanta police officer told Channel 2′s Michael Seiden that he made his decision after watching prosecutors charge the two officers involved in the shooting death of Rayshard Brooks.

One officer told Seiden that it's a daily struggle to get out of bed and drive to work in the morning..."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...GYPEKGYEVPUV4/
“All you’re going to have left are the officers you say you want to get rid of, and that’s going to be your legacy — destruction in the city. Not being able to make a good decision, not backing your officers, not following the law and giving them due process. You, for whatever political reason — you decide to be judge, jury and executioner,” the officer said.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,357,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“All you’re going to have left are the officers you say you want to get rid of, and that’s going to be your legacy — destruction in the city. Not being able to make a good decision, not backing your officers, not following the law and giving them due process. You, for whatever political reason — you decide to be judge, jury and executioner,” the officer said.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

All the hard work Atlanta political and community leaders have done since the 1996 Olympics to improve this city is being destroyed by Keisha Lance Bottoms. She now has blood on her hands and should be held accountable.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
All the hard work Atlanta political and community leaders have done since the 1996 Olympics to improve this city is being destroyed by Keisha Lance Bottoms. She now has blood on her hands and should be held accountable.
She should have publicly chastised Paul Howard.

I see that there’s another hearing for Rolfe today. I’m sure his lawyers will argue that he was under fire from a deadly weapon (as per Howard on 6/2) and should be granted bail.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...Y6SFGLyWJpMGI/

Old 06-30-2020, 02:05 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,385,884 times
Bond granted to ex-Atlanta police officer charged in Brooks killing

A Fulton County judge on Tuesday granted a $500,000 bond to fired Atlanta Police Officer Garrett Rolfe, who is charged with felony murder for the June 12 killing of Rayshard Brooks.

Fulton Superior Court Judge Jane Barwick made her decision after finding Rolfe was not a risk of flight and posed no significant risk of committing a crime or intimidating witnesses while out of custody..."

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/bond-...4HjuD3MaH710M/

Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Bond granted to ex-Atlanta police officer charged in Brooks killing

A Fulton County judge on Tuesday granted a $500,000 bond to fired Atlanta Police Officer Garrett Rolfe, who is charged with felony murder for the June 12 killing of Rayshard Brooks.

Fulton Superior Court Judge Jane Barwick made her decision after finding Rolfe was not a risk of flight and posed no significant risk of committing a crime or intimidating witnesses while out of custody..."

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/bond-...4HjuD3MaH710M/
This made me sick -

“Barwick's decision followed emotional testimony by Brooks' widow, Tomika Miller, who asked the judge to deny bond.

"My husband did not deserve to die," Miller said. " I lost my best friend. … He was a loving, caring, wonderful father and the best husband I could ask for. He had the brightest smile and the biggest heart."

The best husband and best friend was out drinking with another woman? Then driving drunk? I wonder what the “worst husband” would be then?

Granting bail was the logical thing in this case.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:41 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,567,074 times
Snafu.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,937,587 times
Quote:
I think she has made bad decisions, but she was in a difficult position.

She needed to tone down her language while reflecting concern.

Its Howard who is the big problem. And he can be removed in a few months.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:45 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,357,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think she has made bad decisions, but she was in a difficult position.

She needed to tone down her language while reflecting concern.

Its Howard who is the big problem. And he can be removed in a few months.
I spoke with an APD officer briefly last night on my walk. He told me the best thing for any Atlanta citizen to do in the coming months/years for public safety in Atlanta is to vote for Fani Willis in November and vote out KLB next year. He seemed to hint that Bottoms is trying to run the police force via puppets like Bill Campbell did. We all know how that turned out.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:43 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
This made me sick -

“Barwick's decision followed emotional testimony by Brooks' widow, Tomika Miller, who asked the judge to deny bond.

"My husband did not deserve to die," Miller said. " I lost my best friend. … He was a loving, caring, wonderful father and the best husband I could ask for. He had the brightest smile and the biggest heart."

The best husband and best friend was out drinking with another woman? Then driving drunk? I wonder what the “worst husband” would be then?

Granting bail was the logical thing in this case.
I can think of a crap ton of examples of "the worst husband." Like a whooooole lot more.

Not that Brooks was a paragon of virtue, but if those two things are among the most vile, egregious things a person could be guilty of in your book, then I'm not sure what to say to that. THIS is what "makes you sick"? Were you privy to their home life and know something the rest of us don't or something? And did she somehow forfeit her right to grieve?

I honestly don't get the level of personal disgust some people manage to muster up against the deceased and their survivors in these types of incidents.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:52 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times
Quote:
Bartell said the city must “try to redefine the relationship between the public and police” and quickly hire a new chief, someone who “understands community policing and hard-nosed policing.”
But, he added, “The community has to step up. We have to get into violence management in the neighborhood. We can’t lump it all on police. We are letting it happen. Our nephews and nieces are shooting each other.”

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/opini...LcxSVlrHZpb4H/
This is very true. The cities that saw minimal or no arrests in connection with rioting and looting during protests are those in which respected community activists played significant, visible roles. Interestingly enough, they are also cities with reputations for high crime (e.g., Baltimore, Newark, Camden). Camden in particular is evolving into a true success story on multiple fronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta