Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 12:05 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneJ213 View Post
Discretion went out the window with body cams. You wanted em, you got em. Expect to go to jail for everything, cause no officer is going to federal prison when some lawyer Open Records all their cam footage and finds evidence of you letting people go.
Seems to me the body cam footage in the Brooks case could actually help the officers. Up to and including the fight scene, they were very polite and patient.

The question of reasonable force only arises in the few seconds after Brooks breaks loose and runs off with the officer's taser, shooting back at him. What happened at that point is recorded on Wendy's cameras. Without the body cam there wouldn't be as much context.

It may be a moot point, though, since the city immediately declared the shooting unjustified.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 PM

18 posts, read 30,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems to me the body cam footage in the Brooks case could actually help the officers. Up to and including the fight scene, they were very polite and patient.

The question of reasonable force only arises in the few seconds after Brooks breaks loose and runs off with the officer's taser, shooting back at him. What happened at that point is recorded on Wendy's cameras. Without the body cam there wouldn't be as much context.

It may be a moot point, though, since the city immediately declared the shooting unjustified.
That's just a political game, to pander to public opinion. It's easier for the administration to be seen as part of "the right side" in this climate, and take their lumps 4 years down the road when they lose a federal civil rights lawsuit and have to rehire the officer and pay him potentially millions in backpay and damages. None of the "activists" will even know he's back on patrol.

It's no different than the way insurance companies deny claims they know are valid, cause like 60% of the people either won't or can't take them to court.

But yes I do agree there are benefits to the cameras too. Although in my personal opinion they are severly outweighed by the negatives.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:52 PM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Mayor Bottoms is not the law and she's not a jury.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:55 PM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
That's just a political game, to pander to public opinion. It's easier for the administration to be seen as part of "the right side" in this climate, and take their lumps 4 years down the road when they lose a federal civil rights lawsuit and have to rehire the officer and pay him potentially millions in backpay and damages. None of the "activists" will even know he's back on patrol.

It's no different than the way insurance companies deny claims they know are valid, cause like 60% of the people either won't or can't take them to court.

But yes I do agree there are benefits to the cameras too. Although in my personal opinion they are severly outweighed by the negatives.
I think in this climate where the media assumes police officers are lying and career criminals are telling the truth, body cameras are a good thing for the police. And for the public as police officers have to know they are being filmed so it is a reminder they are being "watched."

Old 07-03-2020, 02:32 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Yeah, I thought of that. The fact he didn’t know where he was made it it hard to “go to my sister’s house around the corner” or whatever the lawyers were saying should have happened.

I’m still amazed given all that he just blew a .108.
If he had been tested when he first pulled into the Wendy's lot it would have been higher.

https://www.lowcostinterlock.com/ign...etect-alcohol/

"The rate of metabolism can differ based on a wide range of factors, but experts generally agree that it takes one hour to break down 0.015 of blood alcohol concentration, meaning that for every hour that you are not drinking, your BAC will go down by 0.015."

"For the average person, it only takes about three or four drinks in one hour to reach a BAC of 0.08."

That means that an hour earlier he might have blown a 0.123.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If he had been tested when he first pulled into the Wendy's lot it would have been higher.

https://www.lowcostinterlock.com/ign...etect-alcohol/

"The rate of metabolism can differ based on a wide range of factors, but experts generally agree that it takes one hour to break down 0.015 of blood alcohol concentration, meaning that for every hour that you are not drinking, your BAC will go down by 0.015."

"For the average person, it only takes about three or four drinks in one hour to reach a BAC of 0.08."

That means that an hour earlier he might have blown a 0.123.
Possibly. Many years back I drove after drinking (so I’m hardly innocent) and there had to be times I would have blown double the legal limit - I’m talking driving after a bottle of wine - yet I wouldn’t have been as confused as he was.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Hard to do that when the he didn’t even know what city or fast food restaurant he was at. He had no clue where he was or what he was even doing. Had he been less impaired it might have been an option.
It did seem as if the first cop was leaning towards letting Brooks ride ouy when he asked Brooks to drive into a a parking space.....but Brooks almost over overshot the space if not for the wheelstop. He couldn't let him go after that.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:00 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Speaking of bodycams, check out this recent footage of an APD officer apprehending a murder suspect on foot and then by bicycle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktIqHqEhyY

Old 07-04-2020, 01:56 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sadly, as I have thought about it, I think that alcoholism killed Rayshard Brooks. If he had not had a problem with alcohol, he would not have been asleep in the drive-thru at Wendy's on his child's birthday or at any time. He had to know a DUI would get him sent back to jail, but he drank anyway. Then he panicked when he realized he was going to be arrested and ran. Alcohol impairs judgement.

Quite frankly, I think the outcome would have been the same if he had been white.
Statistics say other wise

Old 07-04-2020, 01:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I guess. I’ll admit I’m ignorant to many of these types of arrangements. How someone can be fine with a spouse out drinking with a girlfriend/boyfriend and then get that upset after said spouse is killed isn’t something I can logically process.
Why do you assume that the girlfriend herself was faithful or not involved with someone else?Ive have plenty of friends younger than me both black and white these days have "open: relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta