Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 05:28 PM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The first problem is he assaulted a cop, and stole a weapon. Fortunately not a handgun. That alone gave them reason to believe he posed significant threat to themselves in operation of apprehending him as he was in possession of a weapon. A taser would have been more than enough to have ceased their
means of apprehending him had he been successful at deploying it. His frame of mind was questionable at best meaning he could have also posed threat to other bystanders.

You're looking at this way to deep at and a personal level. For you all you see are the events leading to and following the shooting with a bias that these men were hunting Brooks, but for these cops, this was just another Tuesday. He most likely kicked him to see if he would respond. Keep in mind the guy stole their weapon they wouldn't exactly be at ease over that. Getting down there to apprehend him and it turned out they missed and he struggled again or obtained another weapon. He simply stated it to note that he was down and there was no longer a need to carry out any defensive or offensive operations.
The officer said he kicked the taser away.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:27 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I don't hold his criminal past against him for this specific incident and for this incident it is irrelevant but knowing he had a previous DUI he knows what the drill is. Resisting arrest and assaulting officers and stealing weapons isn't how you go about it and that usually won't end well for any suspect. Had that been me I would be just as dead as he is being white, latino, or asian isn't going to matter.

The issue with the criminal history only destroys the fake media narrative that has been portrayed it isn't the first time and won't be the last. Rayshard Brooks is not a martyr. This incident also has nothing in common with what happened to George Floyd no matter how bad people want to try and deceive the public into thinking so.

Does it matter if he was an upstanding citizen? Especially when our system makes it so easy to get into a system and stay in there?
Was it you that was talking about him as a father and husband?Im sire he did cheat in his wife. We have a President that did it to ALL of his wives so apparently its irrelevant

Old 06-25-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The officer said he kicked the taser away.
yep!

Old 06-25-2020, 12:29 AM

I personally think the cahrges will be downgraded. Thats why he started with Felony Murder

Old 06-25-2020, 05:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Does it matter if he was an upstanding citizen? Especially when our system makes it so easy to get into a system and stay in there?
Was it you that was talking about him as a father and husband?Im sire he did cheat in his wife. We have a President that did it to ALL of his wives so apparently its irrelevant
There are 2 issues here -

The main one was his killing. Ideally it should not have happened at all. This needs to go through the courts and any commentary from the media should be focused solely on reporting straight facts which they haven’t done. Same goes for KLB and the DA. There are other cases being brought up in GA and elsewhere where the police have shot and killed fleeing people with less justification than the Brooks case and yet they resulted in no grandstanding, no riots.

The second one is him being portrayed as a saint by the media, his widow and her lawyers. When she said he was a great husband and father, I could scarcely believe my ears because he likely was neither. I say this because any great father and husband wouldn’t be out drinking with another woman the night of his daughter’s birthday. But the crocodile tears start for the media and the lawyers are all on top of this.

The comment about our President is irrelevant.

CleverOne, you’re a black male and were 27 once. I’m a white male roughly the same age as you. I’d bet despite our philosophical differences you and I likely have more in common with each other with respect to how we live our lives than either of us do to Rayshard Brooks.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I personally think the cahrges will be downgraded. Thats why he started with Felony Murder
It looks bad for the DA when he rushed to overcharge so quickly. I seriously hope he isn’t re-elected.

Actually, this gives KLB an out. She can throw him under the bus and his successor can reduce the charges to manslaughter, which is what it should have been at the maximum.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
This entire thing is so stacked against Brooks that I just have to call it fair. These cops weren't looking to hand out @s$ whoopings that night. With today's climate a somewhat crooked cop would have either drew down or called for back-up once Brooks stepped outside his vehicle. Bronson had to repeatedly tell him to get back in his car. Someone trying to assess Brook's level of fear would have a tough time.

CleverOne, in this situation what would you have done as either the cop (pick one) or Brooks after taking the taser and plodding away (fast forward to the vicinity of the red car)?

It's crazy that the media and the mayor of all people are painting this as if it was another Philando Castile situation, which was a true instance of police negligence, paranoia, excessive force, etc. CleverOne, you know Brooks was walking the tightrope or had his "foot on the line" so to speak. Had the cop smoked him when Brooks had exited his car, I would be in full agreement with your points. A true resisting arrest, a true assaulting officer charge, a true evading cops, and the cherry on the sundae is attempting to use the taser on the cop. I can't sincerely defend Brook's actions and I can't credibly chastise the cop (can't do that from a legal standpoint and certainly not personally).

Old 06-25-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
and the cherry on the sundae is attempting to use the taser on the cop.
And a taser is considered a deadly weapon under Georgia law, as was confirmed this month by none other than Howard.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:04 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
Quote:

I haven't said anything about him as a father or husband and didn't even know about his criminal history until late in the case. A better question is which President's did not cheat on their wives we can start with JFK and going forward there are like maybe 3 who did not cheat on their wives. The only comment I have made on his criminal history was one very disturbing incident he was arrested for of which I have zero tolerance for.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:15 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
Quote:

The problem with that is I saw a statistic the other day where suspects who are initially overcharged and the charges are then downgraded have a very high chance of being found not guilty or a hung jury. That is the huge problem Paul Howard created here. I agree with markjames68 below that Howard overcharged trying to save his crumbling career and the next person (Fani Willis) is going to have to deal with the backlash and fallout from this while Howard and KLB will be able to play Monday Morning QB and claim negligence on the court system. This is nothing but a game and Rolfe is the pawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta