Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 04:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,306,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can think of a crap ton of examples of "the worst husband." Like a whooooole lot more.

Not that Brooks was a paragon of virtue, but if those two things are among the most vile, egregious things a person could be guilty of in your book, then I'm not sure what to say to that. THIS is what "makes you sick"? Were you privy to their home life and know something the rest of us don't or something? And did she somehow forfeit her right to grieve?

I honestly don't get the level of personal disgust some people manage to muster up against the deceased and their survivors in these types of incidents.
I was not privy to their home life, perhaps she was beaten and abused by her past spouse. Perhaps Rayshard was an awesome husband. An awesome father. I don’t judge their relationship behind closed doors. According to family and friends he was a paragon of virtue. His criminal history starting as a teen shows differently. I’m sure the truth is somewhere in between. As a father I couldn’t imagine being away from my children and wife for better part of a year. But that’s me.

But watch her court appearance. She was reading the statement, and if you really believe that she and not her lawyers wrote it I have a CNN building to sell you. This is all a scheme to set up a huge wrongful death civil suit against the city, and the lawyers will likely get a third of this. That’s what I referred to.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,107,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I was not privy to their home life, perhaps she was beaten and abused by her past spouse. Perhaps Rayshard was an awesome husband. An awesome father. I don’t judge their relationship behind closed doors. According to family and friends he was a paragon of virtue. His criminal history starting as a teen shows differently. I’m sure the truth is somewhere in between. As a father I couldn’t imagine being away from my children and wife for better part of a year. But that’s me.

But watch her court appearance. She was reading the statement, and if you really believe that she and not her lawyers wrote it I have a CNN building to sell you. This is all a scheme to set up a huge wrongful death civil suit against the city, and the lawyers will likely get a third of this. That’s what I referred to.
So what if her lawyers helped her with her statement? That's quite common, especially for persons grieving the unexpected killing of a spouse, and it doesn't mean that the statement doesn't accurately reflect her feelings.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
So what if her lawyers helped her with her statement? That's quite common, especially for persons grieving the unexpected killing of a spouse, and it doesn't mean that the statement doesn't accurately reflect her feelings.
I see your point, and it could very well be true. Maybe I’m just overly suspicious - their lawyer is now part of a mostly white huge law firm (Morgan and Morgan, as mentioned on Justin Miller’s FB page) yet isn’t listed on their website. He is still listed on his (previous?) firm’s site, partnered with “Mr. Billion Dollar Justice TM” (I kid you not). Did he get lured away with the prospect of a huge settlement?

Old 07-02-2020, 02:22 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,882,537 times
Quote:
Speaking of consulting with lawyers about making a statement, it seems to me the mayor would have been wiser not to immediately declare this shooting unjustified. Once you do that, haven't you basically said that the city is on the hook for a lawsuit?

Old 07-02-2020, 03:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,037,699 times
Quote:
I can think of a crap ton of examples of "the worst husband." Like a whooooole lot more.

Not that Brooks was a paragon of virtue, but if those two things are among the most vile, egregious things a person could be guilty of in your book, then I'm not sure what to say to that. THIS is what "makes you sick"? Were you privy to their home life and know something the rest of us don't or something? And did she somehow forfeit her right to grieve?

I honestly don't get the level of personal disgust some people manage to muster up against the deceased and their survivors in these types of incidents.
I gave up as I thought the same thing.Maybe its just a economics thing. No matter what class or background you come from if you are black,you are more likely to know of someone in your extended family or friends who have more than one example of how bad a husband a guy could be. Cheating is but one example but I think in the black and Hispanic community,this stuff comes out a lot easier.
Fragmented families no matter what color will have examples of this type of behavior as husbands dont always have the best role models themselves.

A lot for judgement going on and its all about discrediting a person. I wonder if we dug up a police persons life what kinds of non criminal, as well as criminal things we would find?

Old 07-02-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Speaking of consulting with lawyers about making a statement, it seems to me the mayor would have been wiser not to immediately declare this shooting unjustified. Once you do that, haven't you basically said that the city is on the hook for a lawsuit?
I dont disagree with this at all, I honestly think she was caught up in emotion and said the wrong thing. Its very emotional for any black mother or father .It sickens me to hear someone say they think its all fake. She is only human but she cant retract it now because it will only make matters worse in and ongoing case. If anything ,it may be in Rolfes favor

Old 07-02-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I gave up as I thought the same thing.Maybe its just a economics thing. No matter what class or background you come from if you are black,you are more likely to know of someone in your extended family or friends who have more than one example of how bad a husband a guy could be. Cheating is but one example but I think in the black and Hispanic community,this stuff comes out a lot easier.
Fragmented families no matter what color will have examples of this type of behavior as husbands dont always have the best role models themselves.
So does that mean that because he didn’t beat her but allegedly just cheated on her that’s no problem? I guess in that case maybe he was the best husband she could get. Sad.

Quote:
A lot for judgement going on and its all about discrediting a person. I wonder if we dug up a police persons life what kinds of non criminal, as well as criminal things we would find?
Hopefully none. That should be grounds for not being hired. But I will grant you my viewpoint is naive.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
So does that mean that because he didn’t beat her but allegedly just cheated on her that’s no problem? I guess in that case maybe he was the best husband she could get. Sad.

Hopefully none. That should be grounds for not being hired. But I will grant you my viewpoint is naive.
This is why we get no where in this types of dicussion. I dont know if theya re to orive a oerson knows more than another or truly to hear other view points are considerations.
What do you want me to say? So if I said yes then does that prove some point to you that I have some kind of twisted moral judgement?
Come on can we just please stop this.I know you got my point as you obviously have intelligence to be on here discussing a situation in which all of us are just giving out two cents.
I came from a two parent house hold and my parents to this day are like the Obama's. Most of my black friends growing up were also from two parent households where for all I know ,the men werent at least known cheaters. Thats kind of my point.
Had tis been an white executive from Brookhaven or John Creek, and he did the same thing,I dont think it would have even come out that he was cheating on his wife.If this whole thing could ever have been a scenario anyway as I do think race was an issue as fear is a by product of racism

Old 07-02-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Had tis been an white executive from Brookhaven or John Creek, and he did the same thing,I dont think it would have even come out that he was cheating on his wife.If this whole thing could ever have been a scenario anyway as I do think race was an issue as fear is a by product of racism
I’ll make a few more comments and then move on from this. Let’s use your example.

First, the wife would have probably said “glad the cheating #&@$ is dead”. Not crying about how he was the best husband. Or she would have remained silent and not wailed on camera.

Second, it probably would have gotten even more press. They would have found and interviewed the girlfriend, and made him out to be a total scumbag rather than a saint.

I’m done now.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:05 PM

37,214 posts, read 41,413,290 times
Quote:
... I do think race was an issue as fear is a by product of racism
Sadly, as I have thought about it, I think that alcoholism killed Rayshard Brooks. If he had not had a problem with alcohol, he would not have been asleep in the drive-thru at Wendy's on his child's birthday or at any time. He had to know a DUI would get him sent back to jail, but he drank anyway. Then he panicked when he realized he was going to be arrested and ran. Alcohol impairs judgement.

Quite frankly, I think the outcome would have been the same if he had been white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta