Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:22 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,036,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Yeah, I thought of that. The fact he didn’t know where he was made it it hard to “go to my sister’s house around the corner” or whatever the lawyers were saying should have happened.

I’m still amazed given all that he just blew a .108.
Yall acting like cell phones and ubers dont exist . Ge could have call his sister to come pick him up. I mean do these police in yall scenario have brains?

Old 07-04-2020, 02:33 AM

37,181 posts, read 41,377,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Statistics say other wise
Just talking about this one incident.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm sorry, I generally agree with you on alot of things but I have to disagree with all of this. If the guy was getting drunk and going out with women while married, it was definitely taking a toll on his home life whether his wife would have admitted it or not. Was she still in love? Very likely yes. Did she want to leave the relationship? Probably not, But was it a healthy relationship? Heck no. She wasnt getting the affection a marriage demands, her children were not getting the fatherly figure necessary to grow into responsible adults either. The things he was doing would not have remained secret. His wife likely knew about it the whole time hence the lack of shock when all of this was presented to her. It likely was also taking a toll on himself as well but he was too far in or too addicted to stop (and also probably saw no reason to) Good husband in her personal perspective? Possibly. Good husband in terms of what is needed in parenthood and raising children? No - absent and also setting poor examples of leadership, the role of a father and that brings me to my next iota, that this very area is largely one of the largest sources of problems within the black community, far greater of an issue than cops killing blacks (although I am not dismissing it as an issue, but I see this issue far more prevalant.) The largest problem with our community starts with the family and upbringing and missing fatherly figures is a huge problem within the black community and whether we like to admit it or not plays a huge factor as to how are offspring grow, what they become, what their priorities are, and how they go about obtaining their desires.

Now in Ray's case, should it have costed him his life? That's subjective. But the true image of ray is not someone I particularly would largely defend, and his death - while may or may not be warranted, is also not surprising. If Ray hadn't have gotten drunk and behind a wheel and especially resisted arrest for causes which were perfectly legal causes to be arrested for he would still be alive. Responsiblity lies within us, the people to obey the laws just as much as it lies within the cops to properly enforce them. These people want cops to use minimum force on people who have absolutely no concern for anything lawful and are willing to do anything to resist the law and follow their own agenda and it is going to lead to something far worse on national level for everyone as a whlle than anything it solves in terms of the black community. Whites, get shot by cops as well and would have been very likely in this situation where a weapon was stolen from a cop and nearly used against him. The difference is, had that have happened - face it this thread wouldn't even exist.. and likely would not even be on the news.

You live, work, and treat others responsibly. Life is far more likely to treat you likewise. I havent had a single iota with a cop, ever. Im a black male with two 500 Horsepower Sports Cars that has been pulled over by 6 different cops all around the country, three of those stops happened in white enclaves (I was speeding) - and no tickets, jailtime, and a completely clean record. I bust my nads off to get what I want in life rather than stealing it. If I do drink, I do so responsibly - No DUI's yet. Is there a chance a cop could go left on me? Possibly, but it would be far more likely if I induced it such as what happened to Ray Brooks. You go out and do irresponsible things, you reap misfortune.

So I'm sorry but no. I have 0 empathy for what happened to Ray and I believe turning him into a Martyr will speak volumes AGAINST the black community more than it will ever help us if he is portrayed as an image of something we should strive to accept.
Quote:
You live, work, and treat others responsibly.
im sure you got a lot of rep points from some people for this post. Especially conservative types.
SO great for you that you have not had and issue with a policeman ever. I pray you never do but that obviously not the case for most black and Latino people around the country.
So I suppose nothing should be done and all these people rioting and protesting are just plain wrong because your experiences differs ?

I hate having to go into my misforturnate episodes with police.

Once involved mistaken identity, another involved me in MY CAR surrounded by police as they thought it was stolen. They profiled me in Buckhead. Another time at 15 I was stopped in my own neighborhood by a cop because he got a call . He didnt believe I lived there.
Another time I got stopped by an illegal police stop and was asked where I was going because I was in the projects visiting college friends. No ticket and a phony reason about me not stopping at a stop sign they placed tipple the distance back from the intersection so they could say people didnt stop. It was clearly done as a reason to detain people in that area who were mostly black and poor.

I could tell even about a time when I was living in England and my friends and I were in a cab and we got detained by cops as did the driver for absolutely NO reason. They just wanted to know what we were doing.

I got more but I got a feeling because YOU have not experienced any these misfortunes with the police t, somehow everyone else did something the are hiding to deserves police actions.
Obviously you and all your hard and treating people responsibly is somehow different from the rest of the black community out there complaining. about the police. Its gotta be us and not the police so ....
By the way,I too have a clean record despite many of these incidents.I retired at 41.Im now 51. I dont have any friends who are bad influences(if thats possible at 51), and I resepect for anyone who gives there life for service. Policeman should be held in the same vein as military.
Police job involves being in the public they serve and I feel too many police have bad attitudes and have a mistrust of the public.
The public didnt just wake up one day and decide to hate the police. This has been going on for too long where police have way too much power. Despite what you may think about this case,this is not how a civilzed society should be.
If the policeman only had a taser and not a gun.NO ONE would be dead and thats my whole point. Rayshard would have been in jail for at least 3-10 years. This was not a person who had a history of violent behavior . Just bad choices.

This was a man. A man that wanted a better life but felt just didnt know how to turn things around.
You talk about the fathers being absent but what do we just throw the kids away when they grow up to be troubled adults like Books?
Especially when a lot of what caused these broken families is racism that comes from a lack of opportunity starting from the day they are born.Bad schools,in bad neighborhoods and no one cares why. I guess thats just how those people are.
Thats really what they are saying and you seem to be co signing.

I cant see how someone in the interview I saw should be dead and then talked about like he was such a bad person rather than a person that made some bad choices.
He knew this

Quote:
I'm like, 'oh my God, I have kids out here' ... so I'm trying to do the best option I can to be back to society," he said.

Brooks described being locked up 23 hours a day and told when to wake up and where to go. He said it "messed" with his mental state.

"Going through that process, it hardened me at a point, you know to like, hey, you know, I have to have my, my guard up because the world is cruel, you know, it took me through seeing different things and, you know, in the system you know it just, just makes you harden to a point," he recalled.
Quote:
Brooks was critical of the criminal justice system, suggesting it did nothing to help him get out from the under the rock of a prison record. He said he tried to look for a job, but his record caught up with him at nearly every turn.
I have an Uncle that was in prison.He got out and really struggled.
He lived with my parents when he first got out. He couldnt get a job or keep a job because of his record.
Im really proud of him because he kept at it an was able to retire from a jon because ONE person gave him a chance after MANY denied him.
He stumbled a few times but got up and with the help of my parents ,he made it to a point he could support himself and reconnect with his kids who had to grow up for many years without him.
Luckily his kids are all doing great.They are adults now with kids of their own and 2 out of 3 graduated from college.
Anyway thats my 2 cents. You are way to judgmental and critical considering the pitfalls so many minorities have in this country

Old 07-04-2020, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just talking about this one incident.
As am I. This case is another one adding to existing statistics. Statistics show a pattern and looking at this case ,its a part of a pattern.
Just thought about a few pages back a certain poster told me statistics said otherwise.
I posted such data that showed I was right about what was said here as the poster said this was not the case at all.
STILL have not heard or seen a peep about it even though he has posted several time since. Seems people talk more than they can produce facts

Old 07-04-2020, 03:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,292,905 times
Quote:
Yall acting like cell phones and ubers dont exist . Ge could have call his sister to come pick him up. I mean do these police in yall scenario have brains?
But did he think his sister was around the corner when she was 10 miles away? Did he even have a sister or was that BS?

Old 07-04-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I have an Uncle that was in prison.He got out and really struggled.
He lived with my parents when he first got out. He couldnt get a job or keep a job because of his record.
Im really proud of him because he kept at it an was able to retire from a jon because ONE person gave him a chance after MANY denied him.
He stumbled a few times but got up and with the help of my parents ,he made it to a point he could support himself and reconnect with his kids who had to grow up for many years without him.
Luckily his kids are all doing great.They are adults now with kids of their own and 2 out of 3 graduated from college.
Anyway thats my 2 cents. You are way to judgmental and critical considering the pitfalls so many minorities have in this country
When you saw your uncle that way did it influence you to not get into trouble? Did your parents teach you your values?

Did your uncle’s kids stay out of trouble?

What I find sad is in many cases this becomes generational. Someone has kids young, and gets sent away to prison, and then their kids grow up seeing that this is normal. And due to poverty don’t have many opportunities so get into trouble and then become part of the next generation of having kids too young and getting into prison.

And yet when you mention “so many minorities” I can’t think of any of the many Asian or Indian (from India) families I know who fit this pattern. Perhaps because they are all first or second generation immigrants.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
But did he think his sister was around the corner when she was 10 miles away? Did he even have a sister or was that BS?
Thats not for yu or I to try and ascertain.That was the cops job in which sometimes as in any job you shouldn't do the bare minimum.A cop because he has an important role in maintaining a civil society by upholding the law has a higher degree of diligence.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
When you saw your uncle that way did it influence you to not get into trouble? Did your parents teach you your values?

Did your uncle’s kids stay out of trouble?

What I find sad is in many cases this becomes generational. Someone has kids young, and gets sent away to prison, and then their kids grow up seeing that this is normal. And due to poverty don’t have many opportunities so get into trouble and then become part of the next generation of having kids too young and getting into prison.

And yet when you mention “so many minorities” I can’t think of any of the many Asian or Indian (from India) families I know who fit this pattern. Perhaps because they are all first or second generation immigrants.
Yet if you go to India they have one of the worst rape cultures in the world. I would never suggest that this is something people from India are predisposed to doing.
You mention select immigrants groups but what about African immigrants?

Minneapolis is a good example how first and second generation black immigrants because of large and growing numbers experiences what African Americans have always experienced
African Americans born and raised here in large part suffer from some form of the trauma of racism. Something so ingrained in America since it was first founded.
Something has to be going on if so many Hispanics and African Americans are having a higher percentage of falling in the deepest societal ailments
That is just a special case as mot African immigrants are just like other immigrant groups
African immigrants less likely to be apart of these failures in adapting to being less of a burden on society overall but why?
This is a large part of why Africans and African Americans dont always get along.

My uncle was not really around me growing up and I never really saw him as my mother side had 13 siblings of only 1 lived in the same area where we lived and one other 2 hours away in Augusta.
All the others were all over the US. Mostly in Philly or Chicago.
My parents were strict.Very strict and they were THE only influence on me to stay out of trouble.
Especially my father who like him had a father who had been in the Army
I didnt smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol and to this day the only one of those I have occasionally done is have a drink once maybe ever3 months.
I have seen the difference when parents arent together. I see how my dads two sisters who are both long divorced struggled raising there kids and how none of them are what I would consider stable. Well one of them is but they are doing anything life affirming.

Quote:
I mean this is why so many people in the black community have issues but even then people like e still get the same treatment from police.
If we know so many Hispanic and blacks are more likely to have harsher sentencing,more likely to face police brutality,then how do you tell many black people they should do respect the police?Why?Because they have a badge that upholds laws that for many years oppressed nlacks?

Old 07-04-2020, 11:45 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,358,363 times
Quote:
Police aren’t babysitting anyone and he had no clue where he was. The idea that police would have called for an Uber was put out there by the incompetent attorneys that Brooks family hired that had one of the most cringeworthy press conferences that was full of outright lies and misinformation I have ever seen. It’s like they thought the various videos wouldn’t be released for the public to see the next day. People like that give legit attorneys and people with law degrees a bad name.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Police aren’t babysitting anyone and he had no clue where he was. The idea that police would have called for an Uber was put out there by the incompetent attorneys that Brooks family hired that had one of the most cringeworthy press conferences that was full of outright lies and misinformation I have ever seen. It’s like they thought the various videos wouldn’t be released for the public to see the next day. People like that give legit attorneys and people with law degrees a bad name.
You mean like when the family’s attorney partners up with L. Chris Stewart™, Mr. Billion Dollar Justice™?

https://stewarttrial.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta