Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 10:14 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Interim Atlanta police chief: ‘We will not fail this city’

Interim Atlanta Police Department Chief Rodney Bryant said Friday that officer “sickouts” have not affected the department’s ability to respond to 911 calls..."

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...q8ycFWCgm7eVM/
“What they need is to be assured that they’re supported during these times”

It’s clear they are not being supported.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:25 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,356,544 times
Bill Torpy who is very progressive has an interesting take in the AJC today:

Quote:
The Fulton County district attorney is bastardizing his office to hang on to his job.
Quote:
Wednesday’s news conference where Howard announced charges against two Atlanta cops was a travesty. It was a wounded candidate using the death of a man killed by police to weave together a series of bald-faced prevarications and obfuscations to get past a challenger who has him on the ropes.
Quote:
The news conference, which looked more like a manipulative campaign speech, was a series of ridiculous statements, bordering on the absurd.
Quote:
Again, Howard: “Now we have had something quite remarkable that happened in this case, and it involves the testimony of the other officer, Devin Brosnan, because Officer Brosnan has now become a state’s witness.”
Atlanta defense attorney Don Samuel, who represents Brosnan, almost fell off his chair back at the office hearing this, and fired off a message saying it was “absolutely untrue” that such a deal had been made. “Shame on the district attorney for this abuse of his charging power,” Samuel added.
Quote:
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Doug Collins has asked for state Attorney General Chris Carr to appoint a special, and independent, prosecutor here.
I often disagree with Collins. But this time he’s dead right.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/opini...OZNe7UH5qzUYK/

Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
The leave was requested by Melissa. It wasn't a suspension or anything of that nature.

She was fired because they found some comments on her personal social media which someone found offensive. Which, given the witch hunt environment we are in, means she probably posted a picture of her painting her dining room white - an obvious sign of her being a Nazi.

Read the companies pr doc. It's jammed full of dog whistles proving she was fired because of her relationship with the accused.
Equity Prime Mortgage was the company. Anybody with a brain should never do business with them if for no other reason than that they obviously don't have a brain. They gave a detailed statement on why she was terminated. NOBODY does that. It just opens grounds for a lawsuit. You say, the reasons rumored by media personalties are not the reason for termination of employment. Other than that we have no comment on private personnel matters.

Instead, they tried to destroy her publicly.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:57 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Given the rush to prosecute and jail the officer, I think it's just fine that brother and sister officers decline or delay calls for their assistance, especially in DUI, burglary, arson or other related activities.
I don't think its fine, but I certainly understand it. I expected something.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:25 AM

40 posts, read 19,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
NO notice?!! I mean he did say in several press conferences he would likely announce Wednesday
"likely announce'' is not notice.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
So what happens if when GBI completes their investigation they reach different conclusions?

And, why would the Fulton Co DA not confer with the GBI on the charges when they were the ones who requested GBI's help?
That's what happens when there is a rush to charge or judgment as in this case, like Baltimore in 2015 among others. It's all reckless political posturing until an investigation is conducted and completed.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:24 PM

3,074 posts, read 1,305,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coventry80 View Post
That's what happens when there is a rush to charge or judgment as in this case, like Baltimore in 2015 among others. It's all reckless political posturing until an investigation is conducted and completed.
The Baltimore and St Louis incidents were pretty cut and dried obvious there wouldn’t be a conviction. This one is more muddy. My hunch is he might be convicted but the charge will be manslaughter. The second officer I’m 80-90% confident probably isn’t charged with anything. He will have a civil suit against him years from now and nobody will even know the result of it unless they dig in to find out

Old 06-19-2020, 03:20 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:
The Baltimore and St Louis incidents were pretty cut and dried obvious there wouldn’t be a conviction. This one is more muddy. My hunch is he might be convicted but the charge will be manslaughter. The second officer I’m 80-90% confident probably isn’t charged with anything. He will have a civil suit against him years from now and nobody will even know the result of it unless they dig in to find out
Then they should have charged him with manslaughter, not felony murder.

And I’m not sure what a civil suit will do against the second officer.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:51 PM
bu2

Saw on the news that police chief said 9 officers had taken early retirement as of June 1. Said they didn't have more recent numbers. I'm guessing they don't want to know those numbers so they can continue to say that.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Baltimore and St Louis weren't so cut and dry as you think despite the rush to judgment in Baltimore and the grandstanding by the local DA.

The Atlanta DA announced Felony Murder charges against this cop named Rolfe? DA is playing race politics and playing to mob. These charges will have to be reduced significantly to even try to get a conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta