Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 07:57 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,714,981 times

Advertisements

This afternoon for the first time in watching the video clip of the parking lot chase, the shooting of Mr. Brooks and the immediate aftermath, I saw what appeared to be a kick delivered to him after he was shot and laying on the ground.

To put it mildly, I was beyond surprised that I had never before seen what to me today easily looked like a jerking motion (partially obscured by a vehicle that was in the way) made by the lower body portion of an officer so as to deliver a kick to Mr. Brooks all done by the officer who was standing over him and to the left of him in the camera view I saw. If you doubt it, go look again for yourself. As I said, I never saw what appeared to be a kicking motion until this afternoon.

I need to watch it at again another time to determine what I thought I saw in terms of the hair color of the officer that did it but watching that scene unfold is not something I look forward to doing. But identifying the hair color would positively determine for me which officer made that motion after Brooks was shot and down.

If a kick is eventually confirmed to have occurred at that time frame, it would be most reprehensible and indefensible no matter what all had unfolded prior to that moment.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:58 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,311,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
All I gotta say is y'all need to stop believing what you see on Twitter and Facebook and consult actual news sources.

According to those sources, rumors of a walkout are false.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...7-86bfa2353c7c
People listening on scanners say its legit. APD may be doing damage control to not encourage crimes

Old 06-17-2020, 07:58 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,317,144 times
Quote:
All I gotta say is y'all need to stop believing what you see on Twitter and Facebook and consult actual news sources.

I see a higher number out in the news, but not necessarily a mass walkout.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...DZXcFotKPczGO/

Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,174,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
People listening on scanners say its legit. APD may be doing damage control to not encourage crimes
APD does not want to go down this road. It isn't going to end well for the department. Not in this era where civil rights has more of a tailwind than we've seen in a long time.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:03 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,094,890 times
I guess we'll see what happens. If there really is a walkout, the mainstream media should have word of it shortly.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:12 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Quote:

Why do you think they would post that narrative? It couldn’t possibly be because they don’t want people knowing there is nobody out there enforcing the laws? Do you actually think our mayor is going to say in public there are massive shortages of police on the streets tonight? There is enough info out there to know what is going on.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:16 PM

571 posts, read 347,964 times
The asking for sources, proofs, etc...is pointless when you have been talking past each for pages and only waiting to counter whatever is posted. Come out of your socio-political corner and try to see it all for the complicated mess it is.

Brooks shouldn't have resisted and most certainly shouldn't have taken and shot the taser. Rolfe was likely legally justified in shooting but still wrong. I don't know the man or his mind, so I will place that on the flawed way in which we train cops, but still argue that race factors into some cops decisions and actions in the field and how they regard black and brown lives. Policing as a whole needs an overhaul, but we cant do too much too fast and not expect blowback. That blowback may manifest itself in the voting booth and end up ensuring the exact opposite of what you think we need occurs. I'm pretty progressive in my views but still understand this nation and respect those with views that don't align with mine. Kill at that blame liberals this and that nonsense.

Mayors Bottoms acted too quickly here and seems to be reacting to the mood in the streets instead of what's best for the city as a whole. The Fulton DA is playing politics and putting the safety of Atlanta citizens at risk for his re-election bid. APD still need to do their damn job while all this is figured out. You are not blameless in this, just as police nationwide have played a role in bringing us to this point. Us black folk would do well to stop lining up to defend folks doing indefensible things because of the egregious outcome.

Thats just my take on all of this.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I see a higher number out in the news, but not necessarily a mass walkout.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...DZXcFotKPczGO/
Pay special attention to that quote. If there wasn’t massive walkouts why would such a measure even be needed?

Quote:
Champion said he has been told APD was attempting to get back-up support from adjacent law enforcement agencies. But he said some agencies declined to help.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:17 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,094,890 times
I don't want to get into a big thing over it, because you have your opinion and I have mine.

However, your opinion relies on the notion the officers wouldn't notify the media they are walking out, which is silly because doing so would make their walkout a lot more powerful.

You also assume local journalists rely on press releases from APD and don't have sources within the department or monitor police scanners.

A mass walkout of police officers would be impossible to hide from the local media.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I don't want to get into a big thing over it, because you have your opinion and I have mine.

However, your opinion relies on the notion the officers wouldn't notify the media they are walking out, which is silly because doing so would make their walkout a lot more powerful.

You also assume local journalists rely on press releases from APD and don't have sources within the department or monitor police scanners.

A mass walkout of police officers would be impossible to hide from the local media.
This is likely to continue into the weekend. The dead air on all the scanners speaks volumes as well as various sheriffs as far away as Oconee county saying they were approached about backup for this weekend and declined. Bottoms created this mess and now she can deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta