Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 04:50 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I say just let Cobb be Cobb. When they get ready to run rail up to Cumberland they will do a first rate system.
They will no doubt need MARTA's input and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
I say just let Cobb be Cobb. When they get ready to run rail up to Cumberland they will do a first rate system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They will no doubt need MARTA's input and help.
Agreed with both of these.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:37 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Some common sense. Personally, I don't hear a clamoring for rail to Cobb, but maybe it's the ignorant and selfish circles I run in. There are many topics of conversation that I've discussed with neighbors and friends, but rail to Cumberland has honestly never come up. Just setting context for those on the board who assume that, like them, everyone is sitting around plotting a transit utopia.

If there is a desire from county residents for that service, then I'm sure they will make their voices known, and it will get added to a future SPLOST or will get green lighted somehow. I would go out on a limb and say that for a majority of Cobb residents, transit and rail probably don't crack the top 5 of pressing priorities.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Some common sense. Personally, I don't hear a clamoring for rail to Cobb, but maybe it's the ignorant and selfish circles I run in. There are many topics of conversation that I've discussed with neighbors and friends, but rail to Cumberland has honestly never come up. Just setting context for those on the board who assume that, like them, everyone is sitting around plotting a transit utopia.

If there is a desire from county residents for that service, then I'm sure they will make their voices known, and it will get added to a future SPLOST or will get green lighted somehow. I would go out on a limb and say that for a majority of Cobb residents, transit and rail probably don't crack the top 5 of pressing priorities.
And like I said, let them eat cake. Clayton has just joined MARTA, and I predict that Gwinnett will be in within a decade.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
And like I said, let them eat cake. Clayton has just joined MARTA, and I predict that Gwinnett will be in within a decade.
The funny thing is you say it like folks will miss out on something if they chose not to join MARTA. If that were the case, then a vote would be taken and approved.

As for Gwinnett, you may be right. If so, more power to them. I'll be retired and living in income tax free Florida before the first Gwinnetian gets aboard a MARTA rail line at a station in Gwinnett.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The funny thing is you say it like folks will miss out on something if they chose not to join MARTA. If that were the case, then a vote would be taken and approved.
Do you seriously think that people always vote for their economic self-interests?

Quote:
As for Gwinnett, you may be right. If so, more power to them. I'll be retired and living in income tax free Florida before the first Gwinnetian gets aboard a MARTA rail line at a station in Gwinnett.
Freeloader.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Do you seriously think that people always vote for their economic self-interests?
Since you asked, I think most people, from many different points of view, vote their self interest. I don't know about you, but I vote for people and issues that I agree with, and in many cases my vote coincides with what's best for the county, state, country.

Let's call it as it is...many people vote for certain candidates and political parties because of what that party or candidate promises them and the "stuff" they can get from government.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:59 AM

209 posts, read 276,270 times
Here is the Ha-Mez MARTA expansion version 1.0!

A few notes:

1. Gold Line Midtown Re-Route. Pros- Mostly runs along existing rail corridor through heavily urbanizing districts. Also links Aquarium and World of Coke to MARTA. The route would link to the MMPT at the GWCC/Dome station.

2. Peach Line Northwest- Runs along I-85.

3. Midtown Spur- runs underground. Can be a single shuttle line.

4. Buckhead Spur- Two single-line shuttles run underground in a Y-shape. The south spur to downtown Buckhead may be redundant if there's a Peachtree Streetcar.

5. Gold Line Northeast- based on Gwinnett expansion plans, with added connections to Gwinnett Tech and Lawrenceville.

6. Red Line North expansion- based on Connect 400 plans.

7. Hapeville Gold Line spur- offers direct connection to the International Terminal not included in current Clayton commuter rail expansion plans.

8. Silver Line- Runs along I-285

I did not name all the stations that will be on the BeltLine or on the planned I-20 East Blue Line expansion.

Last edited by Ha-Mez; 12-16-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post

A few notes:

1. Gold Line Midtown Re-Route. Pros- Mostly runs along existing rail corridor through heavily urbanizing districts. Also links Aquarium and World of Coke to MARTA. The route would link to the MMPT at the GWCC/Dome station.

4. Buckhead Spur- Two single-line shuttles run underground in a Y-shape. The south spur to downtown Buckhead may be redundant if there's a Peachtree Streetcar.

5. Gold Line Northeast- based on Gwinnett expansion plans, with added connections to Gwinnett Tech and Lawrenceville.

7. Hapeville Gold Line spur- offers direct connection to the International Terminal not included in current Clayton commuter rail expansion plans.

I did not name all the stations that will be on the BeltLine or on the planned I-20 East Blue Line expansion.
Nice looking map. I'd be a frequent user of the Peach and Silver lines!

Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post

A few notes:

Not bad at all. I've been working on a concept that is quite similar to this, except my Green Line is much longer on both ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta