Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
You don't think think extending it to KSU would add to the ridership? They're expecting to hit 30,000 students a year within the next 5-7 years or so. Significant potential daily ridership there.
I dunno. If there were more density around there, sure. But even if 15-20% of the students ride it, and that's a very generous estimate, that's only an additional 6000 riders a day. Still not bad, though. It would largely depend on what kind of ridership comes from the Kennesaw-to-Marietta section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There are no existing rail lines that run thru North Fulton. Unlike most other suburbs in Cobb, Gwinnett, and DeKalb counties that were developed along the old rail lines, the North Fulton cities have no existing rail lines running thru their downtowns. This is why HRT is the best option to reach Alpharetta, I also agree that HRT should not extend beyond North Point Mall. Everything north is low density and should not be developed into higher density.
Commuter rail to Canton, not North Fulton. And yeah, extending heavy rail up 400 wouldn't be too bad a plan as compared to other alternatives.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
If the TIA vote passes the Cobb Light Rail will get federal funding and become a reality. I believe the Cobb LRT should run along the US 41 ROW into downtown Marietta. I would help improve the businesses along the corridor by bringing customers store front.
Totally on board with this. There's plenty of space parallel to 41 for light rail tracks. It could snake over by Southern Poly, then head over to downtown Marietta. CCT already has a park-and-ride on the South Marietta loop that could be used as the last park-and-ride station. And I'd love to see the last quarter mile of that route go underground, with a station right below Marietta Square. Imagine what a boost to business that could be! Also, if they can find space for a commuter rail terminal, maybe a block or two north, that *could* become a transfer area. However, I think it would be better to design one down at Cumberland from scratch.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Our light/heavy rail total miles would be at least close 90 miles total if that happens.

"The projects break down into $689 million for a yet-to-be-defined “enhanced premium transit service” from Acworth to the MARTA Arts Center Station in Midtown Atlanta; $292 million for roadway projects; and $3.2 million for improvements to McCollum Airport."
that's a long way, i hope it would go through kennesaw/KSU. i'm not exactly sure how they would be able to pull a light rail system through that entire area without it taking an extremely long time to get to the arts center station.

anyone up to drawing some potential lines? =D

i'm going to do one in a couple of days, sounds like fun.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
And I'd love to see the last quarter mile of that route go underground, with a station right below Marietta Square
Much like Decatur square. It would be a huge boast to the businesses around the square.
Quote:
anyone up to drawing some potential lines? =D
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?authu...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,758 times
as for as rail to northwest atlanta, i think HRT should go from arts center to marietta. and the station at southern polly be a transfer station for LRT to canton. also i think there should be a commuter rail line running from armour to catersville with a transfer station at cumberland

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM

yay! favourite thread is back.

as for my earlier plan, i can see the disadvantages in it and am willing to re-do it.

the concept 3 plan is OK— they have a lot of things right, but some of the other ideas are kind of wacky.

for example, the peachtree streetcar— yeah, it's okay, but you've already got marta rail running in almost the exact same path as the streetcar.

i think it would be neat if we on the forum could get together and make our own "concept".

Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Much like Decatur square. It would be a huge boast to the businesses around the square.

MARTA Expansion Map
I like a lot of your plan above.

One strong area it leaves out between other lines is Howell Mill between 10th and 17th. A line connecting between your North Ave. Line and your Atlantic Station/Cumberland line, running along Marietta St. and Howell Mill would be a great addition.

And also a line running up Marietta Blvd from around your Hollowell Pkwy Station to at least Cumberland Pkwy, possibly meeting up to the Marietta Square line. But maybe I'm just biased because I live right off Marietta Blvd. But there is a lot of housing and business along that line, especially once you get up into Cobb. Or, instead of coming down to Hollowell from Cobb, running down Chattahoochee and meeting into your line.

I might play around tomorrow if I get time.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I like a lot of your plan above.

One strong area it leaves out between other lines is Howell Mill between 10th and 17th. A line connecting between your North Ave. Line and your Atlantic Station/Cumberland line, running along Marietta St. and Howell Mill would be a great addition.

And also a line running up Marietta Blvd from around your Hollowell Pkwy Station to at least Cumberland Pkwy, possibly meeting up to the Marietta Square line. But maybe I'm just biased because I live right off Marietta Blvd. But there is a lot of housing and business along that line, especially once you get up into Cobb. Or, instead of coming down to Hollowell from Cobb, running down Chattahoochee and meeting into your line.

I might play around tomorrow if I get time.

seconded. this plan is really good— i just think one of the primary spots there needs to be a heavy rail line in, is along west midtown and georgia tech.

for those of us wanting to give this a try, how do you do this?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 AM

ah— okay, nevermind.

i tooled around with it a little bit, just laid out the existing tracks and put in a couple of new station ideas. will work on this a lot more later, as it is, it's pretty basic.

Bryant's MARTA ideas - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta