Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking on the routing of extending HRT south via Hapeville to Clayton County. Just can't think if it should be commuter rail or HRT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:35 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I've been thinking on the routing of extending HRT south via Hapeville to Clayton County. Just can't think if it should be commuter rail or HRT?
it depends on how far it's going— if it's only going to clayton county, building commuter rail seems kind of silly because of the short distance.

i know i'm against light rail in a lot of the places they've proposed, but it seems like it's a good idea for this corridor.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it depends on how far it's going— if it's only going to clayton county, building commuter rail seems kind of silly because of the short distance.

i know i'm against light rail in a lot of the places they've proposed, but it seems like it's a good idea for this corridor.
I'm not a big fan of light rail connecting to the existing HRT system on the periphery like this (or into Cobb or Gwinnett). I'd rather just extend the HRT system at the higher cost if the distance is short (5-7 miles), or make a commuter rail like 15-20 miles that can later be extended further out. I think the likelihood of people riding a light rail line, then transferring to HRT is low. I think it is higher if it is a commuter rail line with few stops. LRT average speeds are surprisingly slow in most cities and I don't think the ride time in town would be reasonable enough to draw many riders. I know the cost would be much more, but I would support those moves. I'd rather spend more and get the system done correctly than to settle for a, still very expensive, half-assed expansion. Of course, the $$$ would be the issue.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I'm not a big fan of light rail connecting to the existing HRT system on the periphery like this (or into Cobb or Gwinnett). I'd rather just extend the HRT system at the higher cost if the distance is short (5-7 miles), or make a commuter rail like 15-20 miles that can later be extended further out. I think the likelihood of people riding a light rail line, then transferring to HRT is low. I think it is higher if it is a commuter rail line with few stops. LRT average speeds are surprisingly slow in most cities and I don't think the ride time in town would be reasonable enough to draw many riders. I know the cost would be much more, but I would support those moves. I'd rather spend more and get the system done correctly than to settle for a, still very expensive, half-assed expansion. Of course, the $$$ would be the issue.
Agreed, and light rail is better for short trips/inter-city transit (like The Beltline). Heavy rail or commuter rail is better for long haul trips/suburbs.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Clayton County would have a higher ridership due to low car ownership in that county. Thank y'all for the input. I will make the extension and post the new map.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
okay, i've worked on this a bit more. not much except what's already been proposed, along with a highway 9 streetcar.

Bryant's MARTA ideas - Google Maps

Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM

83 posts, read 113,340 times
Default Looks Like Light Rail Clifton Corridor

I read in the AJC that the recommendation for the Lindbergh to Avondale line will be LRT. I'm kind of surprised since everything I had heard to this point was HRT most of the way with LRT at the end. I looked for an online link but it was in the print edition of todays AJC. They said neighborhood input was a major reason

Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM

It sucks that HRT is being extended, but I think LRT will do good in this corridor due to the limit of dense development in the corridor. LRT allows the line to conect to the Red/Gold and Blue lines, while HRT would have ended at North Decatur.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Now I don't like any of the rail proposals in the TSPLOST. They are taking clogged roads and putting light rail in them to totally shut down traffic. And this light rail is primarily just transfer traffic from Avondale and Lindberg (along with some Emory circulator service). With the heavy rail they got more point to point travel w/o transfers. With the tunnels, the light rail will be pretty expensive for light rail from Emory to Lindberg. And how many people will be travelling that full stretch? Its mostly going to be from Avondale (and interim stops) to Emory and Lindberg (and interim stops) to Emory. So it isn't really important that you have 1 technology over that stretch.

I think they should have done HRT now to N. Decatur, express bus to Avondale and spent the money later to extend HRT all the way to Avondale.

If you look up Clifton Corridor, Marta has a short description of the proposal which will be presented to one committe on March 26 and the board on April 9. No public comment is allowed at the 1st meeting, so I take it the decision is pretty much final. April 9 will be a rubber stamp.

Last edited by bu2; 03-22-2012 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: complete

Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
hey are taking clogged roads and putting light rail in them to totally shut down traffic
The LRT will be in exclusive ROW. There was still going to be transferred involved in the Clifton Corridor extension. Most likely the Gold Line would have had to been feed into the Clifton Corridor because of alignment at Lindbergh and MARTA's Armor Yard. LRT will increase usage how the entire system. I know people who live near Avondale and Decatur that won't use MARTA to commute to work because they don't want to have to change trains at Five Points. This will allow users going from Decatur and east that need to get north of Midtown the option of taking the Clifton LRT instead of changing at Five Points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta