Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The LRT will be in exclusive ROW. There was still going to be transferred involved in the Clifton Corridor extension. Most likely the Gold Line would have had to been feed into the Clifton Corridor because of alignment at Lindbergh and MARTA's Armor Yard. LRT will increase usage how the entire system. I know people who live near Avondale and Decatur that won't use MARTA to commute to work because they don't want to have to change trains at Five Points. This will allow users going from Decatur and east that need to get north of Midtown the option of taking the Clifton LRT instead of changing at Five Points.
Its not going to be in exclusive ROW from Clairmont to Avondale. At least, if it is, it will be taking away traffic lanes. All the plans I've seen have it in the streets.

If you stay in the station, 5 Points isn't that bad. If they get on in Decatur, they will have to transfer twice-and it will be slower. I wouldn't be surprised if those people are simply justifying not riding it. Ideal would have been an extension of the green line by connecting all the way to Avondale (or East Lake or Decatur).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Quote:
The LRT will be in exclusive ROW. There was still going to be transferred involved in the Clifton Corridor extension. Most likely the Gold Line would have had to been feed into the Clifton Corridor because of alignment at Lindbergh and MARTA's Armor Yard. LRT will increase usage how the entire system. I know people who live near Avondale and Decatur that won't use MARTA to commute to work because they don't want to have to change trains at Five Points. This will allow users going from Decatur and east that need to get north of Midtown the option of taking the Clifton LRT instead of changing at Five Points.
Bingo. Imagine how all of this would improve the city to include the beltline and the streetcar

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 03-22-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Ugh. Not good.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
now that this thread's back up, here's some ideas i have for expanding the lines south of the airport station— since clayton county recently voted (nonbinding) to have marta, this may be a possibility soon.

Hapeville Line - Google Maps

Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
now that this thread's back up, here's some ideas i have for expanding the lines south of the airport station— since clayton county recently voted (nonbinding) to have marta, this may be a possibility soon.
Would be great, since there is a high number of non-car owners in Clayton County, but I think this line would be implemented as a Commuter Rail, its cheaper and the federal funds already exist. GDOT just needs to get off their ass.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Would be great, since there is a high number of non-car owners in Clayton County, but I think this line would be implemented as a Commuter Rail, its cheaper and the federal funds already exist. GDOT just needs to get off their ass.

Do you just willfully ignore the fiscal situation of these organizations or are you completely ignorant to the facts?

It really has to be one or the other because the amount of rail infrastructure you propose building is completely unrealistic with the financial resources of these organizations.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
commuter rail is okay for long distances, but to jonesboro it's only ~14 miles. the north rail line goes farther than that and is going to be expanded soon. i think commuter rail is great for exurbs and regional cities like forsyth, rome, newnan, etc., but this is close in enough that heavy rail is a viable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Do you just willfully ignore the fiscal situation of these organizations or are you completely ignorant to the facts?

It really has to be one or the other because the amount of rail infrastructure you propose building is completely unrealistic with the financial resources of these organizations.
if GDOT has enough money to propose building a $3 billion tunnel under midtown atlanta, i'm sure they have enough money to build a 10 mile rail line. the problem is that the people in charge in the state are averse to anything that doesn't involve pavement.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Why are you attacking me? This thread is just for fun! I was just saying that money exist for a Commuter Rail line in the same corridor and if Georgia doesn't use it soon the feds will take it back. I proposed it because for fiscal reasons and that federal funds already exist. Damn!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
commuter rail is okay for long distances, but to jonesboro it's only ~14 miles. the north rail line goes farther than that and is going to be expanded soon. i think commuter rail is great for exurbs and regional cities like forsyth, rome, newnan, etc., but this is close in enough that heavy rail is a viable option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

if GDOT has enough money to propose building a $3 billion tunnel under midtown atlanta, i'm sure they have enough money to build a 10 mile rail line. the problem is that the people in charge in the state are averse to anything that doesn't involve pavement.

There definitely needs to be something, whether it be more park-n-rides with HOV or HOT lanes, or rail to the South Metro. There is a lot of traffic going to the airport and to downtown. Fayette, Henry and Clayton don't have many options other than to drive. With MARTA ending at the airport, it really is unusuable for those in that area. On the North side, employment is much more spread. There are more people, but they are going in different directions.

The point about the commuter rail funding is a good one. But the commuter rail won't serve the airport which is a hub of many trips. I wonder how a shorter MARTA extension (around 5 miles) to the vicinity of Southlake Mall would work.

This IS a "design your own" thread. It isn't insisting on something that will be done in the next 10 years.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM

I totally agree with you that the Southside is suffering from a lack of transit options. Clayton County voters approved a non-binding MARTA vote. Once they approve the 1 cent sales tax for MARTA, then plans for a rail-line to Clayton County can be explored. I am still thinking on how and where to create a Southside HRT line for my map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta