Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 12:13 PM

348 posts, read 434,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
Here is the Ha-Mez MARTA expansion version 1.0!

A few notes:

1. Gold Line Midtown Re-Route. Pros- Mostly runs along existing rail corridor through heavily urbanizing districts. Also links Aquarium and World of Coke to MARTA. The route would link to the MMPT at the GWCC/Dome station.

2. Peach Line Northwest- Runs along I-85.

3. Midtown Spur- runs underground. Can be a single shuttle line.

4. Buckhead Spur- Two single-line shuttles run underground in a Y-shape. The south spur to downtown Buckhead may be redundant if there's a Peachtree Streetcar.

5. Gold Line Northeast- based on Gwinnett expansion plans, with added connections to Gwinnett Tech and Lawrenceville.

6. Red Line North expansion- based on Connect 400 plans.

7. Hapeville Gold Line spur- offers direct connection to the International Terminal not included in current Clayton commuter rail expansion plans.

8. Silver Line- Runs along I-285

I did not name all the stations that will be on the BeltLine or on the planned I-20 East Blue Line expansion.

Overall a pretty cool map. I really like how the Gold Line has changed it's course. That is really a good idea. But what about Clayton?

I think we hear people always say "expansion" and automatically think Cobb and Gwinnett. Clayton is the one that took the steps to be apart of MARTA for one and two, why not expand in the current service area. Cobb will probably never join in most of our lifetimes but I do feel Gwinnett is probably about 5-10 years away. Their demographics call for a better transit system than what they have. But lets focus on expansion within Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton. Plenty of areas that need rail (HRT, LRT, and Streetcar) that can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM

209 posts, read 276,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
Overall a pretty cool map. I really like how the Gold Line has changed it's course. That is really a good idea. But what about Clayton?

I think we hear people always say "expansion" and automatically think Cobb and Gwinnett. Clayton is the one that took the steps to be apart of MARTA for one and two, why not expand in the current service area. Cobb will probably never join in most of our lifetimes but I do feel Gwinnett is probably about 5-10 years away. Their demographics call for a better transit system than what they have. But lets focus on expansion within Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton. Plenty of areas that need rail (HRT, LRT, and Streetcar) that can be done.
I didn't forget Clayton. This map does not include commuter rail, which is what most of the Clayton extension would be made of. I'm thinking about making a separate map for commuter rail.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I didn't forget Clayton. This map does not include commuter rail, which is what most of the Clayton extension would be made of. I'm thinking about making a separate map for commuter rail.
Oh ok cool. I just figured because I saw some lines that I'm assuming would be either light rail or streetcar and didn't see anything for Clayton, which at this point is commuter rail, but I'm hoping would become heavy rail.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
Oh ok cool. I just figured because I saw some lines that I'm assuming would be either light rail or streetcar and didn't see anything for Clayton, which at this point is commuter rail, but I'm hoping would become heavy rail.
Yeah, I'm hoping for heavy rail with stops at Hapeville, Int'l Terminal, Forest Park, Fort Gillem, Clayton State, and Southlake. Commuter rail would run from East Point parallel to this line with stops only at Forest Park and Southlake. The commuter line would continue on to Jonesboro, Lovejoy, Griffin, and Macon.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm hoping for heavy rail with stops at Hapeville, Int'l Terminal, Forest Park, Fort Gillem, Clayton State, and Southlake. Commuter rail would run from East Point parallel to this line with stops only at Forest Park and Southlake. The commuter line would continue on to Jonesboro, Lovejoy, Griffin, and Macon.
Completely agree on the heavy rail portion. The commuter rail I'd probably make one of the stops the International Terminal versus a stop in Forest Park but we are on the same page.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:03 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Your green line extension doesn't add much. It could alternatively be extended to Avondale along the existing track and become your purple line

Old 12-16-2014, 04:04 PM

Another possibility- have the commuter rail be as planned, with heavy rail diverging at Hapeville

Commuter rail- East Point, Hapeville, Forest Park, Fort Gillem, Clayton State, Morrow/Southlake, Jonesboro, Lovejoy
Heavy Rail- East Point, Hapeville, Int'l Terminal, State Farmer's Market, Tara Blvd, Morrow/Southlake

Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Your green line extension doesn't add much. It could alternatively be extended to Avondale along the existing track and become your purple line
The Purple Line/Clifton Corridor is light rail/streetcar and the Green Line is 2-car heavy rail, so I don't think that would work.

Actually, I was never much a fan of how the Clifton Corridor becomes street grade east of Emory, and I'd prefer it if the Green line went from Emory northwest to Lindbergh.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:52 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
After seeing Clayton County join MARTA, and in light of MARTA's recent upswing and surge in ridership, I felt motivated enough to design my own MARTA expansion.

This hypothetical system takes into account all of the pending expansions (Red Line, Clayton County, and Clifton Corridor), but I also decided to throw in a few of my own. I decided to keep this as realistic as possible, although considering rising infrastructure costs, even this is a bit of a stretch cost-wise. All lines shown in the map are heavy rail.

I did not include the other transit systems and projects, so no Atlanta Streetcar, hypothetical commuter rail, and bus systems. For the sake of this fictional map, Cobb County and Gwinnett County have joined MARTA.

(Warning: this is a large file! Also, this map is not to scale.)

http://i.imgur.com/xBpA0VG.png

Expansions and additions to existing lines:

- Gold: Expanded northeast to serve Gwinnett County with four stops in or near Norcross, the Beaver Ruin/Indian Trail area, Gwinnett Place Mall, and Sugarloaf Mills. I also decided to make the commuter rail option a Gold Line extension, with new stops in or near Hapeville, Hartsfield-Jackson's international terminal, Forest Park, Lake City, Clayton State, Morrow, and Jonesboro. An infill stop exists near the Armour Yard.

- Red: Expanded north along GA 400 to include stops at Northpoint Drive, Holcomb Bridge Road, North Point Mall, Old Milton Parkway, and Windward Parkway. An infill stop exists near the Armour Yard.

- Blue: Expanded west to serve the Six Flags and Thornton Road areas. New stops include Fulton Industrial, Six Flags, and Thornton Road.

- Green: As part of the I-20 initiative, the Green Line parts from the Blue Line to serve areas along I-20 in DeKalb County, from Glenwood Avenue east to Stonecrest Mall. New stops include Glenwood Avenue, Gresham Park, Candler Road, Wesley Chapel Road, Panola Road, Evans Mill Road (shown as Lithonia on the map,) and Stonecrest Mall. On the west side, an infill stop exists at Boone Blvd. between Bankhead and Ashby.

New lines:

- Magenta: The line that is constructed in Cobb County, either as a replacement to the BRT or as a new option. The line begins at Midtown Station, making that station a sort of hub, before heading north to serve Arts Center, Atlantic Station, and points northwest. Key points of interest include Cumberland Mall, SunTrust Park, Marietta Square, Town Center Mall, and both campuses of Kennesaw State University. Transfers to the Navy line at the Cumberland/Galleria station and the Red/Gold lines at the Midtown and Arts Center stations.

- Navy: A top-end line that is designed to connect the major job centers at Cumberland and Perimeter Center. The line connects downtown Smyrna with the Cumberland, Perimeter Center, and Doraville areas. Key points of interest include downtown Smyrna, Cumberland Mall, "downtown" Sandy Springs, Perimeter Mall, and the Doraville mixed-use development. Transfers to the Magenta line at the Cumberland/Galleria station, the Red line at the Dunwoody station, and the Gold line at the Doraville station.

- Orange: This line connects Buckhead with the Avondale station via the Clifton Corridor. Major points of interest include Lindbergh Center, Emory, the CDC, Suburban Plaza, Your DeKalb Farmer's Market, and downtown Avondale Estates. Transfers to the Red/Gold lines at Lindbergh Center station and the Blue line at Avondale station.

In addition, some stations have been renamed to reflect changing circumstances. The "Lakewood/Ft. McPherson" station was renamed to "Lakewood" as the fort has been closed, the long-winded "Dome/CNN/yadda yadda" station was renamed to "MMPT" to reflect the existence of the new multimodal terminal, and there's no Southern Poly station due to its takeover and assimilation by KSU. The airport stations were named "East" and "West" to reflect the fact that both stations serve the airport.

- skbl17

Old 01-03-2015, 06:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
After seeing Clayton County join MARTA, and in light of MARTA's recent upswing and surge in ridership, I felt motivated enough to design my own MARTA expansion.

This hypothetical system takes into account all of the pending expansions (Red Line, Clayton County, and Clifton Corridor), but I also decided to throw in a few of my own. I decided to keep this as realistic as possible, although considering rising infrastructure costs, even this is a bit of a stretch cost-wise. All lines shown in the map are heavy rail.

I did not include the other transit systems and projects, so no Atlanta Streetcar, hypothetical commuter rail, and bus systems. For the sake of this fictional map, Cobb County and Gwinnett County have joined MARTA.

(Warning: this is a large file! Also, this map is not to scale.)

http://i.imgur.com/xBpA0VG.png

Expansions and additions to existing lines:

- Gold: Expanded northeast to serve Gwinnett County with four stops in or near Norcross, the Beaver Ruin/Indian Trail area, Gwinnett Place Mall, and Sugarloaf Mills. I also decided to make the commuter rail option a Gold Line extension, with new stops in or near Hapeville, Hartsfield-Jackson's international terminal, Forest Park, Lake City, Clayton State, Morrow, and Jonesboro. An infill stop exists near the Armour Yard.

- Red: Expanded north along GA 400 to include stops at Northpoint Drive, Holcomb Bridge Road, North Point Mall, Old Milton Parkway, and Windward Parkway. An infill stop exists near the Armour Yard.

- Blue: Expanded west to serve the Six Flags and Thornton Road areas. New stops include Fulton Industrial, Six Flags, and Thornton Road.

- Green: As part of the I-20 initiative, the Green Line parts from the Blue Line to serve areas along I-20 in DeKalb County, from Glenwood Avenue east to Stonecrest Mall. New stops include Glenwood Avenue, Gresham Park, Candler Road, Wesley Chapel Road, Panola Road, Evans Mill Road (shown as Lithonia on the map,) and Stonecrest Mall. On the west side, an infill stop exists at Boone Blvd. between Bankhead and Ashby.

New lines:

- Magenta: The line that is constructed in Cobb County, either as a replacement to the BRT or as a new option. The line begins at Midtown Station, making that station a sort of hub, before heading north to serve Arts Center, Atlantic Station, and points northwest. Key points of interest include Cumberland Mall, SunTrust Park, Marietta Square, Town Center Mall, and both campuses of Kennesaw State University. Transfers to the Navy line at the Cumberland/Galleria station and the Red/Gold lines at the Midtown and Arts Center stations.

- Navy: A top-end line that is designed to connect the major job centers at Cumberland and Perimeter Center. The line connects downtown Smyrna with the Cumberland, Perimeter Center, and Doraville areas. Key points of interest include downtown Smyrna, Cumberland Mall, "downtown" Sandy Springs, Perimeter Mall, and the Doraville mixed-use development. Transfers to the Magenta line at the Cumberland/Galleria station, the Red line at the Dunwoody station, and the Gold line at the Doraville station.

- Orange: This line connects Buckhead with the Avondale station via the Clifton Corridor. Major points of interest include Lindbergh Center, Emory, the CDC, Suburban Plaza, Your DeKalb Farmer's Market, and downtown Avondale Estates. Transfers to the Red/Gold lines at Lindbergh Center station and the Blue line at Avondale station.

In addition, some stations have been renamed to reflect changing circumstances. The "Lakewood/Ft. McPherson" station was renamed to "Lakewood" as the fort has been closed, the long-winded "Dome/CNN/yadda yadda" station was renamed to "MMPT" to reflect the existence of the new multimodal terminal, and there's no Southern Poly station due to its takeover and assimilation by KSU. The airport stations were named "East" and "West" to reflect the fact that both stations serve the airport.

- skbl17
Looks great, except the green line will not deviate before 285. Those neighborhoods expressed a strong no in having a subterranean hrt line ran thru their neighborhoods and the area is rapidly improving. I think the current I 20 plan is good, with I 20 west of 285 to downtown bring servers by brt.
Also, there is no crossover track south of midtown, arts center and between north ave and civic center are the only ones until between five points and Garnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta