Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 02:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times

Advertisements

Toll-both, what did you use to make that map? looks great

I think for the Cobb line, they should consider tunneling or purchasing ROW to alleviate issues with freight congestion / better connections to Cumberland. $$$$ yes, but it is such an important line it would be worth the extra cost. But unlikely.

Love that stop next to Sanford Stadium, taking the train to a UGA game could easily become one of Georgia's favorite traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It's as good a time as any to propose my ideas, version 2.0. Commuter rail first, heavy rail later.

Note that this is a conceptual map only and not any sort of final or absolute proposal.

Stations aside, this is pretty much the map that one would expect for the overall plan, as it uses many of the existing rail lines. The MMPT near Five Points is indicated with the large blue marker. A few thoughts:

-Note that three of the lines extend farther south than this map shows. These would be part of a regional network if built that far.
-Two lines run through Gwinnett County, one with a stop at the Doraville MARTA station. Note that this implies commuter rail rather than heavy rail expansion into Gwinnett, although again, this is merely a proposal.
-A similar proposal is made for Clayton County--something that coincides with the current proposal. This route would run at least as far north as the East Point MARTA station and perhaps all the way to the future MMPT.
-One line runs through southeast Atlanta to McDonough, a route not generally considered, but I think there may be enough commuter traffic in DeKalb and Clayton counties to justify it.
-Several oddities exist on the proposed routes. For instance, the Carrollton would run north-northwest to Bremen and then east to Atlanta. And a Columbus-Atlanta line would be an extension of the line through Peachtree City, not Newnan--detailed more in a later map. The reason for this is simply the existence of current rail lines, or in Carrollton's and Columbus's cases, a lack thereof. But that is the advantage of commuter and regional rail: It does not build brand-new corridors; it uses the ones already existing.
-The heaviest traffic on any of the existing freight rail lines is through both lines running through Cobb County, which could put a damper on commuter rail expansion there. One option is to run heavy rail part on these corridors to the point where a large amount of the traffic branches off. In particular, heavy rail could run to the proposed station north of downtown Marietta and build a commuter rail line from there to Canton. The rail traffic on that line is extremely low, but that is because the tracks are in bad shape; the line would probably have to be rebuilt in its entirety, something that would skyrocket construction costs.
-Note that there is a proposed station very near the domestic terminal of the airport. This would be within walking distance of an existing people-mover station (the one between the domestic terminal, GICC, and the rental car area; not the Plane Train in the secure area). This would allow commuters from the southwest to get to the airport without having to make a heavy rail transfer at East Point and then travel in the opposite direction.
-The planned HRT expansion in South DeKalb would connect to the proposed commuter rail station southeast of Lithonia.
Love.

And I like how you designed all 11 potential commuter rail lines. Metro Atlanta will need all 11.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
It's as good a time as any to propose my ideas, version 2.0. Commuter rail first, heavy rail later.

Note that this is a conceptual map only and not any sort of final or absolute proposal.

Stations aside, this is pretty much the map that one would expect for the overall plan, as it uses many of the existing rail lines. The MMPT near Five Points is indicated with the large blue marker. A few thoughts:

-Note that three of the lines extend farther south than this map shows. These would be part of a regional network if built that far.
-Two lines run through Gwinnett County, one with a stop at the Doraville MARTA station. Note that this implies commuter rail rather than heavy rail expansion into Gwinnett, although again, this is merely a proposal.
-A similar proposal is made for Clayton County--something that coincides with the current proposal. This route would run at least as far north as the East Point MARTA station and perhaps all the way to the future MMPT.
-One line runs through southeast Atlanta to McDonough, a route not generally considered, but I think there may be enough commuter traffic in DeKalb and Clayton counties to justify it.
-Several oddities exist on the proposed routes. For instance, the Carrollton would run north-northwest to Bremen and then east to Atlanta. And a Columbus-Atlanta line would be an extension of the line through Peachtree City, not Newnan--detailed more in a later map. The reason for this is simply the existence of current rail lines, or in Carrollton's and Columbus's cases, a lack thereof. But that is the advantage of commuter and regional rail: It does not build brand-new corridors; it uses the ones already existing.
-The heaviest traffic on any of the existing freight rail lines is through both lines running through Cobb County, which could put a damper on commuter rail expansion there. One option is to run heavy rail part on these corridors to the point where a large amount of the traffic branches off. In particular, heavy rail could run to the proposed station north of downtown Marietta and build a commuter rail line from there to Canton. The rail traffic on that line is extremely low, but that is because the tracks are in bad shape; the line would probably have to be rebuilt in its entirety, something that would skyrocket construction costs.
-Note that there is a proposed station very near the domestic terminal of the airport. This would be within walking distance of an existing people-mover station (the one between the domestic terminal, GICC, and the rental car area; not the Plane Train in the secure area). This would allow commuters from the southwest to get to the airport without having to make a heavy rail transfer at East Point and then travel in the opposite direction.
-The planned HRT expansion in South DeKalb would connect to the proposed commuter rail station southeast of Lithonia.

One more thing...

I think the Lilburn-Athens line should connect through Armour instead of down along the westside of Decatur.

And there should be a secondary major multi-modal station at Armour ("Armour Valley Station"). This station would complement the primary major multi-modal station at Five Points ("Grand Five Points Station").

Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:

And...

This post must be accompanied by this:

Track Twenty-Nine: Envisioning a New Rail Hub for Atlanta: Part III

Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
i need to see the close up maps. i am intrigued, especially regarding the location of multiple stations in certain cities.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And...

I love this link, aries4118! I remember this from long ago...

Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I love this link, aries4118! I remember this from long ago...

Yes! The best...!

I wish it could get the same attention/traction as the Beltline did so many years ago...

Old 04-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
And...

RailGeorgia_Small.png (image)

Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 54,880 times
Default Work in progress

As of now, I am creating my idea for an ultimate MARTA system, and it is complete ITP. Of course, I still have to work OTP, but it's just for your information. If you would like a preview, let me know. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:43 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
So basically the GDOT rail plan with extra lines to Covington, La Grange, and Columbus? I always did like the State plan, so I like yours!

I would say that there would still, as always, be the issue of getting the freight railroads to let all the passenger trains in.

As a side note, what did you use to make your maps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Toll-both, what did you use to make that map? looks great

I think for the Cobb line, they should consider tunneling or purchasing ROW to alleviate issues with freight congestion / better connections to Cumberland. $$$$ yes, but it is such an important line it would be worth the extra cost. But unlikely.

Love that stop next to Sanford Stadium, taking the train to a UGA game could easily become one of Georgia's favorite traditions.
I used the open-sourced uMap. And thanks!

Quote:
One more thing...

I think the Lilburn-Athens line should connect through Armour instead of down along the westside of Decatur.

And there should be a secondary major multi-modal station at Armour ("Armour Valley Station"). This station would complement the primary major multi-modal station at Five Points ("Grand Five Points Station").
The problem, with that, though, is that line would loop all the way around the north side Beltline and right into the super-packed Howell Junction. The route proposed here is more direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i need to see the close up maps. i am intrigued, especially regarding the location of multiple stations in certain cities.
Sure, which ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta