Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 AM

124 posts, read 399,890 times

Advertisements

These acronyms remind me of the South Lake Union Trolley in Seattle, otherwise known as the S.L.U.T. (slogan = ride the ****!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
If this has been posted earlier I apologize but it does show some interesting photos of how the system could have been expanded.

world.nycsubway.org/United States/Atlanta, Georgia/MARTA Provisions for Future Extensions

Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If this has been posted earlier I apologize but it does show some interesting photos of how the system could have been expanded.

world.nycsubway.org/United States/Atlanta, Georgia/MARTA Provisions for Future Extensions
Interesting. I still believe the most "bang for our buck" would be to extend the Doraville line north to Norcross for now, North Springs to Alpharetta (looks like there is plenty of room for the tracks to be built along the right side of 400 with stations at Holcomb Bridge Rd/Roswell, Haynes Bridge/Northpoint, and Windward Pkwy/Alpharetta). I also think the Emory/Druid Hills line would be worth the cost (but it would probably have to be all underground). When the Aerotropolis project ever gets built, the Hapeville extension will make more sense.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Interesting. I still believe the most "bang for our buck" would be to extend the Doraville line north to Norcross for now, North Springs to Alpharetta (looks like there is plenty of room for the tracks to be built along the right side of 400 with stations at Holcomb Bridge Rd/Roswell, Haynes Bridge/Northpoint, and Windward Pkwy/Alpharetta). I also think the Emory/Druid Hills line would be worth the cost (but it would probably have to be all underground). When the Aerotropolis project ever gets built, the Hapeville extension will make more sense.
Actually, the original plan was laid out so they could follow an existing freight rail right-of-way... The Emory/Druid Hills line would probably cut into the back yards a little bit of about 100 houses or so.

Incidentally, they are looking at using the same rail right of way to approach Emory from the opposite direction in their current plans. We'll have to see where that goes.

By any chance does anyone know exactly where that rail tunnel for the proposed northwest line north of the arts center station would come out from underground?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,206 times
marta should go all over georgia

Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboyshad View Post
marta should go all over georgia
$2 fare from Atlanta to Savannah? Awesome!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Actually, the original plan was laid out so they could follow an existing freight rail right-of-way... The Emory/Druid Hills line would probably cut into the back yards a little bit of about 100 houses or so.

Incidentally, they are looking at using the same rail right of way to approach Emory from the opposite direction in their current plans. We'll have to see where that goes.

By any chance does anyone know exactly where that rail tunnel for the proposed northwest line north of the arts center station would come out from underground?
They already built the tunnels right next to the northeast line tunnels. You can see it from the highway. They were pretty proactive in building these things for future expansions that unfortunately never happened.

It's still possible to link MARTA to West Midtown/White Provisions by exiting the tunnel, having a station at Amtrak/Brookwood, then Atlantic Station, then White Provisions by JCT.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
They already built the tunnels right next to the northeast line tunnels. You can see it from the highway. They were pretty proactive in building these things for future expansions that unfortunately never happened.

It's still possible to link MARTA to West Midtown/White Provisions by exiting the tunnel, having a station at Amtrak/Brookwood, then Atlantic Station, then White Provisions by JCT.
Those are the tunnels I was asking about.... where exactly from the highway can you see unused tunnel entrance?

One idea I have pitched on a few other threads... and it admittedly it meant to be a cost cutting extension.

If they did a two station heavy rail extension (one being Amtrak/Peachtreee/Brookwood and the other Atlantic station. Perhaps one more station going further west near Howell Mill. They could access it by a single track. An eastbound train from Atlantic Station wouldn't have to leave until after the westbound train arrives into a second track at the station (and vice versa). Then the the train can go north short or Armour yard, revery directions and go over the existing bridge and travel to five points and back.

It avoids costly bridges and allows you to keep the existing Amtrak station via the path of the old delivery track and bridge to the old Atlantic Steel site. With the service cut back it would allow the system to lower train headway on the most used section (Five points to Arts Center).

I'm not against the northwest line tunnel, but building that bridge would be very pricey for such a short extension. It was originally meant with hopes to connect to Cobb.

But still the general premise of the argument... if we do short segments meant to access high potential and/or high density areas and not focus on long distance regional use.... we could look for creative ideas to cut costs, but still try to maintain traffic separated service.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Those are the tunnels I was asking about.... where exactly from the highway can you see unused tunnel entrance?
The tunnel is really hard to see from the highway, but the best angle is going south on the connector right before the Brookwood curve.

The easiest way to see it is to get on the first car of a southbound train (or the last car of a northbound train) and to look really quickly before the train enters or exists the tunnel.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM

What I am hoping to figure out ... is if I look at it on map or google aerial image... where exactly does it come out form underground and at what angle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta