Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times

Advertisements

Ok, I didn't want to respond until I could build a map... sort of (Sorry for the poor artistic skills). I actually like Testa's original concept, but I wanted to add a few ideas on to it. I am also ignoring the geographic/political issues that exists in getting projects started/funded for this concept map.

Few quick notes to spot out...
- I am opting to remove a LRT line across the northern arc in an effort to use existing HRT resources to make fast transit connections between North Fulton, Gwinnett and Cobb.
-I also believe a few stations should be restructured to allow for passing tracks, so the existing HRT track can use express and local service in some areas.
-I also have not placed stations, except for main ones.
-I took out the northwest portion of the beltline, because an extremely short HRT extension and infill stations would provide better service than building a parallel LRT line.
-I built bridge connections, so a North-Northeast line could be run on existing track (same for NW-NE and NW-Perimeter)
-I feel it is important to build relatively short (but traffic seperated) LRT lines around major activity centers to develop density (Gwinnett Place, Marietta, Cumberland, Perimeter, Midtown/Colony Square)
-In the Map the thicker lines are HRT and the thinner lines are LRT.
-I swapped the direction of the Green and Blue lines on the east side, since the Green Line is limited to 2-car trains with an option to easily build out to 4-car trains
Attached Thumbnails
Design Your Own MARTA Expansion-atlantaconcept.jpg  

Last edited by cwkimbro; 12-29-2010 at 02:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
One issue regarding "freight rail":

I've learned from the most recent Beltline Environmental Study meetings in the NW corridor that it's actually pretty difficult to get some of the existing freight rail lines to open up space for passenger rail. Both CSX and Norfolk-Southern are expecting to use even more of the current rail lines for additional freight. Norfolk-Southern flat out said the Beltline couldn't use their corridor for building a new passenger rail line. CSX said they could maybe accommodate, but they weren't sure. So, for now anyway, the Beltline is proceeding with plans to have alternate rail lines that don't follow the freight lines exactly, at least in the NW part of town. These alternate lines would actually go along some of the city streets. (The alternate for Norfolk-Southern, for example, would go through Atlantic Station and run up along Deering into Buckhead.)

JMO here, but I got the impression the Beltline folks were pushing more of a streetcar-type transit rather than light rail.
Good catch.

I am extremely pro-commuter rail. It is extremely cheap and it targets commuters during high-capacity travel times. In my map I drew a box to the northwest. There is a huge rail junction there that is extremely congested on the freight rail lines that would need to be restructured to allow for more freight and commuter rail to downtown. In the freight rail reports that come out the busiest lines by far are to the NW going towards Chattanooga/Rust Belt. One of the reasons Fulton Industrial is such a a big industrial area is their access to the NW rail lines w/o going through that junction. It is also one reason why the Concept 3 plan doesn't show much commuter rail to the Northwest, but a good bit to the south and Northeast.

For these reasons I kinda wish the Beltline would ditch plans to make a full loop and would use a green line extension w/ infill stations to keep the same coverage the original beltline LRT would, but skip the costs of crossing the freight rails.

It is also why I want a multi-modal station near Armour Yard. Commuter rail could be started on 3 lines going to the North east and the east (Gwinnett, Dekalb, Rockdale) w/o needing to go through the Howell Mill rail junction.

I'll try to find a link later that show the freight rail traffic/tonnage. It really shows a heavy amount of the freight traffic to the Northwest.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Permeter was **** before Marta. Grow up.
Perimeter Mall was never ****. It has always been one of the best malls in Atlanta, and the surrounding area has been an affluent area since before MARTA even existed.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Perimeter Mall was never ****. It has always been one of the best malls in Atlanta, and the surrounding area has been an affluent area since before MARTA even existed.
Sorry it wasn't that great before the huge renovations. Okay it wasn't ****, but that poster is in need of help.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It truly is bizarre. I've received similar messages several times in the last few weeks. To think someone actually sits around fuming about the fact that people take pride in their city and are vocal about it is, well, weird.

I get a bunch of odd rep comments, too. Is it someone who posts here, or just a lurker?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I get a bunch of odd rep comments, too. Is it someone who posts here, or just a lurker?
I have no idea, but I got two rep comments last night, which are clearly from the same person. One is an unhinged rant about how Atlanta is always terrible, and one is about how scary it is in Atlanta because "all the black people in the country are moving here."

Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
one is about how scary it is in Atlanta because "all the black people in the country are moving here."
I lol'd

Some people need help.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would say it's some nitwit off their meds, but that would get me in trouble with the mods, so I wont.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
There's no particular "philosophy" to these comments, though. They're all over the place.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Thanks for the contribution cwkimbro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta